AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

On 8/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, Grailstorm said:

While this is true against a lot of armies, in the current meta that is filling up with monsters that can always strike first, or make you always strike last, and pile in and attack 2x, the Judgement King gets no chance to fight against these targets. They just melt him before he swings. 

Of course it stands to reason that all of the Malign Sorcery items that kick in with cool effects on 6s to hit are good with him. He’s fantastic with Blade of Carving (auto wound on 6s) and Blade of Endings (+2 damage on 6s) as well, as these activate against all enemies and not just heroes and monsters, like the Sword of Judgement does.

But at 400 points, we do tend to rely on him to be our monster hunter, and there are now monsters running around that he can’t hunt with any of the above setups.

An alternative is the Quicksilver Potion. As it stands, the “fights immediately” wording nullifies always strike first on your own turn, and always nullifies always strikes last, even on their go. So this allows you to fight before a Keeper of Secrets or a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, or an ASF Bloodthirster. And because it’s before you pick any unit, if it’s your turn you can then choose a second unit to fight with immediately after the King, before the enemy hits at all.

@Grailstorm With the introduction of Slaanesh and some other tricks I have basically tossed out the useless Archmage I used to run in my list and have given myself a Bretonnian Lord... he is called my Suicide Lord. He takes the Sword of Judgement, for on the charge... he gets the mortal wounds on a 3+ on monsters, 4+ if its just a hero (this is combined with the Enchantress +1 spell, and the Kings +1 on charges command trait).

And on Keepers or Similar ******, I tend to do what I call a "Pick your f***ing poison you degenerate inbreed daemon" if I charge in my block of Knights of the Realm with all the defensive buffs . I do this for them to hold the line for as long as they can... If its one thing a block of 16 Knights of the Realm are good for... its holding a line. While I charge the Suicide Lord into the keeper and I charge  the 10 man squad Grail Knights, I have dubbed "Grail Team Six" and give him the choice.... either he dies from my Grail Knights, or he Dies from my Suicide Lord.... but his keeper isn't going to be there after this.

The King Normally stays out of the fight if its a competitive game, friendly game... he attacks as he pleases with no care. For no Bretonnian ever stands behind his men. He accepts ANY CHALLENGE. In competitive mode he mostly deals with people "deepstrikeing" or reinforcing my flanks as need be. That immunity to battleshock is so d*** crucial, I don't like putting him into the fight unless needed.

Remember a Slaanesh hero can only select one unit and make it fight last on a 4+ (2+ if its a Keeper), and if they fail that roll that unit cannot be picked again by ANY other Slaanesh hero.

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please put some sense into me before my own mind decides to raise my hopes so high, so that when they are dashed against more rocks I do not get devastated?

Why? Because, I feel I am reading these signs to deeply:

1.  November 15th 2019:  Games Workshop announces the Old World is in the works. A Horus Heresy for Age of Sigmar. Not only did they do this, but they showed a map with Bretonnia smack in the bloody center. While it is a many years away, it means they will have to re-cast or make new models for Bretonnia.

2. December 12th 2019:  Games Workshop releases the updated FAQs, Base sizes, and more. What is significant about this? Well, I decided to see if any changes happened to the Bretonnia compendium. But what is this? The Bretonnian compendium, the PDF, is no longer searchable on their main site and can no longer be located with the other Compendiums (Oddly so is Tomb Kings).

3. December 20th 2019:  An friend of mine, old friend from years past, that was also a avid Bretonnian fan has told me that some recent update to Bretonnia lore was hinted at in a recent release of some sorts. This one I put more as a rumor, as he has been unable to get me the proof of it yet. But it used to be that Grail Knights, Damsels, Giles, Leon, and a portion of Bretonnia was put in a realm called Haven. However Bel'lakor learned of its existence via Manfred spilling his guts in order not to be killed by Bel'lakor. It is left with the vague hinted idea that chaos then possibly eats Haven, but never truly stated. However, this new recent release states that the realm Haven actually was instead unable to be contacted anymore, having been lost in the massive saturation of Chaos.

4. December 31st 2019:  Games Workshop does this:  https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/31/the-rumour-engine-december-31st-2019/  Not only is this weapon Elven looking (as we all know, the Lady of the Lake was Lileath. Or other wise known as the Elven Godess of Prophecy who foretold of the end times). But that damned Grail trinket hanging of it!

I know I might be reading to far into this, and spreading damnable rumors, only to raise peoples hopes and ruin them when nothing happens. But please someone tell me something to make me stop.

Edited by Drakilian
Sailor mouth got best of me.
  • Thanks 1

Well we are 16 years over due but i doubt it though bretonnia as a miniature line seems to of been much loved by GW staff over time i doubt they can work on projects just cause they want to. my pessimism may be obstructing me as much as your optimism you yet here goes to smash your dreams.

1. we really know next to nothing about this upcoming game and it's compatibility with current and previous lines( and when or where it takes place in the warhammer world)

2.probably heading into legends tomb kings and bretonnia may just seem as not in the scheme of things like the other lists whom arent full army compendiums

3. there have been bretonniaesque things through out all of age of sigmar, and Haven was left open ended. that said  this could just mean some of the writers miss the knights and wished they could write bretonnia without the restrictions the world that was placed.While there isn't a  spiritual successor like almost every other old world faction( cities of sigmar seems to cover the empire more then re-imagining all human factions to me but thats my opinion)

4. Grail are also symbols in 40k such as blood angles and soul drinker space marines, as well as FEC based on GW output its probably for a new codex blood angels.

now my honest opinion GW seem to be more willing to try out cavalry in AoS then prior and the niche of bretonnia(faith and  determination compared to the empires gunpowder and magic) for order in the same way. GW did somewhat give the tomb kings a spiritual successor in the ossiarch bonereapers, and most other factions have that didnt just reappear in AoS(empire=cities of sigmar, Wood Elves=Sylvaneth, High elves= Idoneth Deppkin).

bretonnia is kinda the last one whom hasent gotten that work done(I've hear Stormcast as one but they seem all elite like chaos warriors but good rather then the Elan and anvil of Bretonnia),  so maybe this will be filled and i hope it does to some degree(though the open endedness of limbo that was awarded much creativity would be missed by myself).

We could end up like chaos dwarves did during fantasy loyally reusing models with compendium rules a decade old, or maybe this will be year where the Knights gallop out of Haven to bring light. destroying the fowl creatures and give hope to those sigmar abandoned and betrayed. who knows sisters are back it could be the year of the fluer-de-lys. I've saved the PDF of the rules JUUUUUST in case

yep if you go to the warhammer legends page we are prominently on the banner, not a great sign that we will get the same spiritual succesor that tomb kings got in Ossiarch.

since it's not searchable if anyone doesnt have it here is the compendium pdf

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-bretonnia-en.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 8:44 PM, Drakilian said:

December 12th 2019:  Games Workshop releases the updated FAQs, Base sizes, and more. What is significant about this? Well, I decided to see if any changes happened to the Bretonnia compendium. But what is this? The Bretonnian compendium, the PDF, is no longer searchable on their main site and can no longer be located with the other Compendiums (Oddly so is Tomb Kings).

I don't get that. It's linked on the rules page as it always was like all other compendium PDF.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux

I think you remain in the compendium until your put in legends. Pure speculation cause i didn't read all the 2.0 compendiums, but i recall us and tomb kings were the only full army lists with compendium(wood elves?). this could just be a marketing thing  to encourage people to by armies that at least synergies with the newer lines rather then just downloading a free rule set and buying an army off ebay

Really I won't mind a spiritual successor personally. Maybe with the recently announced pointy hysh elves? Explains the elven looking sword. The Lady of the Lake did sacrifice herself and gave her power to Teclis in the end times... Who knows? 

Either way two-three years from now if they do release the fantasy game, they will have to give us Bretonnia sooner or later at least for that.

@Evangelist of Cinders Yes I do know that the grail is used all over 40k. But it is rarely used anywhere else in Fantasy. That sword looked Elven, and I know the Eldar don't use grails. But who knows!

• Like 1

A bunch of knights could escape Haven all things are possible, an errantry war in the old world may of taken a wrong turn at kislev and wound up in Ghur. Anything is possible in AoS making it great from a hobbyist perspective.

I would love to see new bretonnia( especially having seen several old sketch concepts) and cant wait for the old world to return. though i still need to figure out the best way to base models to move between square and round bases, magnets havent been going well

• Like 1

I would love to see them return, they always held a special place in me heart.

Do you still play with Bretonnians, even if they have gone the way of the dodo? I have my old models from way back in the day but never used them in AOS as they (to my knowledge) lack any points. Maybe I can dust them off when Old World returns, for one final Errantry War...

27 minutes ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

They exist. They eat flesh and are aligned with death. 

Touché. I'd rush to collect FEC would their models pique my interest more (and have more variance!). But I have to admit, reading that their units are called knights, courtiers and so on was almost enough for me to fall for them. Almost.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Do you still play with Bretonnians, even if they have gone the way of the dodo? I have my old models from way back in the day but never used them in AOS as they (to my knowledge) lack any points. Maybe I can dust them off when Old World returns, for one final Errantry War...

they still have points in the GHB(though they are pretty over priced) .  In my limited experience they work like a glass cannon( a lot like fantasy if you dont do enough on the charge thats it), on the charge they hit about as much as a lot of regular armies battlelines. No defense against mortal wounds nor an ability to dish them out. They have no artifacts or allegince abilities outside order(which their banners already gave). they can seem weak but things like the king preventing battleshock, extra damage against chaos, tarpits of peasants all work well. Forbidden powers artifacts  and some other Order units (which can be fun to convert thematically) can help with some of its short comings.

If you want a equal chance to win as AoS 2.0 armies it's not going to happen, If you want the feeling of leading a group of normal humans who take on godlike monsters with nothing more then your strategy and their faith and steel it is loads of fun.

• Thanks 1

The brets were my first mini war gaming army way back in 1998 when a friend and I split the 5th edition starter box. To say I would love to have them back in their glory would be an understatement. 

I just can’t see their aesthetic and play style fitting into AoS though, especially given FEC and CoS. I will say though Idoneth Deepkin kind of mimics them with their eel cavalry and vulnerable infantry.  

I have a fear that new Fantasy will simply provide rules for old, existing models but hopefully I’m wrong. Bretonnians seem very popular in Warhammer Total War so there’s always hope. 

19 hours ago, Evangelist of Cinders said:

If you want a equal chance to win as AoS 2.0 armies it's not going to happen, If you want the feeling of leading a group of normal humans who take on godlike monsters with nothing more then your strategy and their faith and steel it is loads of fun.

Just the way I like it. This isn't winning, it's losing - with style!

Hello, looking for help - I'm building a bretonnia army. On the bases. For the king on hippogryph I have the old griffon looking creature with a claw up and the king on top. Smallish model. AOS base sizes are saying to me I need a 105x70 base - that is so big in comparison to the model! Is this correct?! Should I just get a more realistic size given the model I've got. I find the stats a bit OP as it is, if I get a small base, I feel that makes this model even more OP in combat. 

Any advice?!?!

Sam

On 1/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, Evangelist of Cinders said:

..... i still need to figure out the best way to base models to move between square and round bases, magnets havent been going well

May I suggest 3d printing?

I use the table war trays as well for formationa for fantasy.

6 hours ago, Evangelist of Cinders said:

it's correct use it as a great opportunity to do some dramatic basing. Hysh army has crystals, dead body of stormcast, whatever. for  a comparison look at the gortrek mini small model BIG base

Thanks for the confirmation. I've seen it online on a much smaller base and I just feel that's too much or an advantage. I love basing so I'll go with you and go big! 

Also, can I put the legendary fighter artefact on the griffons beak?! (On the subject of OP)

21 hours ago, Sam24 said:

For the king on hippogryph I have the old griffon looking creature with a claw up and the king on top. Smallish model. AOS base sizes are saying to me I need a 105x70 base - that is so big in comparison to the model! Is this correct?! Should I just get a more realistic size given the model I've got. I find the stats a bit OP as it is, if I get a small base, I feel that makes this model even more OP in combat. 

The correct base size for the King on Hippogryph is a 60 mm round. There is no official document for this, but GW showed it on this base size as the King was available as "Made to Order" in 2018.

Games-Workshop_Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-M

11 hours ago, Sam24 said:

Also, can I put the legendary fighter artefact on the griffons beak?! (On the subject of OP)

No, it's not allowed. Command traits and artefacts don't work on a mount.

Core rules, page 17:

Command traits have no effect on attacks made by a general’s mount unless noted otherwise.

Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero’s mount unless noted otherwise.

Core Rules Designers’ Commentary, page 10:

Q: Can a model’s mount, companion or crew benefit from any artefacts of power that the model has been given?
A: No.

55 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

The correct base size for the King on Hippogryph is a 60 mm round. There is no official document for this, but GW showed it on this base size as the King was available as "Made to Order" in 2018.

Games-Workshop_Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-M

No, it's not allowed. Command traits and artefacts don't work on a mount.

Core rules, page 17:

Core Rules Designers’ Commentary, page 10:

Thank you so much for all the clarification! 

I've just re-based on this advice and it looks so much better. Before it looked like he was in a bloody boat. 

Makes sense on the artefact. I might still do that on the sly though! 

Bases and models now ready for under painting ! 

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start testing some synergies to try and squeeze in a better chance in the field. My first plan is to test out realm artifacts and endless spells. Now that their are less  things that help ORDER keyword units, units from other armies are a bit harder to know what to choose. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or desires of things to experiment with? mostly to save my self time if say we know that the Purple Sun is a must or i should take some witchunters for reasons.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Hey guys! 

I hope you are all safe and healthy at home. I was wondering how to fit the Bretonnian Knights into the new Cities of Sigmar supplement, basically as allies. Is that a way to make them playable on AoS? 

Hello there! 

Fancy seeing you reviving this thread again! Since I last wrote here I've sold all my Bretonnians, which is why I've been less active. I am in isolation since more than a month back so keeping safe over here - hope you and your loved ones are doing well too!

I definitely think most players will allow you to proxy your Bretonnians as Empire/Freeguild units and add them as allies. But to be completely honest with you: my biggest hope for Bretonnia to become relevant for real again, is for them to be one of the central armies once Warhammer: the Old World launches. Luckily, we followers of the Lady of the Lake have already reached expert levels of patiently waiting ;)

• 2 weeks later...