AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

4 hours ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Right, I use him as a Dragonlord.

Nice!

I notice you’ve got the round base on the King, which I guess is the official size since his temporary re-release a while back.

I based mine on the oval base recommended in the spreadsheet on here. What’s the size of the round, is it 60mm?

On 7/31/2019 at 2:49 PM, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

If you do reignite the passion then I wish you luck. It's a tough thing to do, especially with an army as old as Fair Bretonnia but may the Lady aid you in your endeavour.

Thank you. It’ll be slow progress, various things going on I don’t see myself building or painting anything any time soon. Just picking my purchases as they become available and what suits me at the time money not the issue just still don’t want to pay over the odds if I don’t really need anything just yet. The missus is helping me with my self restraint, or so she tells me lol. 

Since my first post I’ve secured 8 knights nib, grail knights nib, ltd edition banner bearer, the 1999 army general, lord Bohemond and 8 knights that require some Tlc. Eventually I’ll pick up the usuals the old named characters Tristan, odo, repanse etc. Starting to feel like a teenager again when I first bought them all XD

On 6/10/2019 at 12:22 AM, HanzoKurosawa said:

For the person who asked about what Relic/Artifact to take on the king. It's generally agreed upon here that the best one to take is the Sword of Judgement from Malign Sorcery. 

It's ruling is: Pick one of the bearer's melee weapons to be a sword of judgement. If the hit roll for an attack with that weapon against a hero of monster is 6+, that attack inflicts d6 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends.

On the king, with legendary fighter, he has 7 attacks with his sword. With his command ability, he gets +1 to hit on a charge, and with the enchantress' spell he gets another +1 to hit. This means suddenly, he has 7 attacks, that deal D6 mortal wounds, on a 4+ to hit. This means on average you do 3.5D6 mortal wounds to any hero or monster unlucky enough to stand in his way. I had a game, where in three turns, he killed a daemon prince, a verminlord corruptor, and a Soulgrinder. He just went from one to the other, killing each in his first round of attacks. Then he could easily reach any other with his huge movement range.

While this is true against a lot of armies, in the current meta that is filling up with monsters that can always strike first, or make you always strike last, and pile in and attack 2x, the Judgement King gets no chance to fight against these targets. They just melt him before he swings. 

Of course it stands to reason that all of the Malign Sorcery items that kick in with cool effects on 6s to hit are good with him. He’s fantastic with Blade of Carving (auto wound on 6s) and Blade of Endings (+2 damage on 6s) as well, as these activate against all enemies and not just heroes and monsters, like the Sword of Judgement does.

But at 400 points, we do tend to rely on him to be our monster hunter, and there are now monsters running around that he can’t hunt with any of the above setups.

An alternative is the Quicksilver Potion. As it stands, the “fights immediately” wording nullifies always strike first on your own turn, and always nullifies always strikes last, even on their go. So this allows you to fight before a Keeper of Secrets or a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, or an ASF Bloodthirster. And because it’s before you pick any unit, if it’s your turn you can then choose a second unit to fight with immediately after the King, before the enemy hits at all.

Edited by Grailstorm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fellow knights, with the upcomming Cities of Sigmar book, there might be an oppurtunity to field our minis with new rules (with proxing) and creating our own "Free City". What my picks are

Bowmen -> sisters of the watch / Freeguild Crossbowmen

Man at Arms -> Freeguild Halberdiers

Hero on foot -> Freeguild General

Hero on horse -> ??

King -> Freeguild General on griffon

Damsel on foot -> Collegiate Mage (dunno if he will be included tho)

Damsel on horse -> ??

Enchantress -> ??

Yeomen -> Dark Riders

Knights -> Drakespawn Knights

Questing knights -> ??

Grail Knight -> Demigryphs

Pegasus -> ??

Treb -> ??

Pilgrims -> flagelants (dont know about the reliquary tho)

Your suggestions ?

1 minute ago, Verengard said:

Fellow knights, with the upcomming Cities of Sigmar book, there might be an oppurtunity to field our minis with new rules (with proxing) and creating our own "Free City". What my picks are

*SNIP*

Your suggestions ?

@Double Misfire put together a list of ideas on his blog for how to convert or proxy models which do include ideas for bretonnia: https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html 

Could be helpful.

• Thanks 1

The whole wariness towards heavy cav feel GW has recently has made proxy hard(or at the very least somewhat byzantine). demi-gryph  being  battleline may be a boon but some minor conversions feel needed with the larger bases for me at least, but thats part of the fun. maybe some sort of heraldic beast like a bunch of unicorns or kelpie.

I'm assuming Fenrisian wolves are too large for my WiP Hyshian tundra army  even with an increase in base size,gryph hound bore me but iI highly doubt I can find the enough of the old mordheim hounds or at leas not at the cost of a new army.

as far as the units kinda hard without the book but some guess

reliquary can probably be some mounted hero, as GW may keep options for heroes that aren't in production

Pegasus knight rebasing may be impossible take a city allegiance that allows Kharadron Overlords and take them as sky wardens or SC Prosecutors .....gyrocoptors with base size as is

Grail knights- order of the blood drenched rose, mercenary rules representing the other world aspects of the grail knights

treb- helstorm rocket or with some conversions, replace crew with damsels luminark of hysh or Celestial Hurricanum

enchantress- add her to a unit of knights errant run as sisters of the thorn.

the heroes on horses we just have to wait and see whats allowed otherwise add them to that order of the blood drenched rose idea.

I need to sketch some conversion ideas if the new army book makes Proxy possible( I'm not a fan of the gun line look, desperate heavy knights and brave militia against  Night haunt tide is my ideal)

Okay updated my list:

- Freeguild General on Griffon --> Louen Leonceour

- Freeguild General on Foot --> any foot knight, pref Chevalier Eremite because he has 2h sword

- Freeguild Guard with Halberd --> Man at Arms (easy conversion if you want spear [change tip] or sword [change hand])

- Freeguild Crossbowman --> Peasant Bowman (know the weapon does not exactly match, but should be no issue), alternatively Man at Arms with some crossbow hands

- Freeguild Handgunners --> no idea, maybe Man At Arms with with something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon

- Freeguild Outriders / Pistoliers --> Yeomen, the bow does not match warscoll but should not be issue, if you want accurate match make something like this and attach to them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon

- Flagellants --> Pilgrims, replace big base with 4 x 25mm for the carriers of reliquary for extra 4 models

- Battlemage --> Damsel

- Battlemage on Griffon --> kick Louen off his mount and replace with a damsel

- Demigryph Knights --> Any knights on bigger bases with Gryph Hounds on their side

- Luminark, Hurricanum --> Replace horses for Bretonnian ones, remove comets, sigmar stuff replace with Lily flowers and other Bret stuff, kick the mage and add a foot Damsel

- Steam Tank --> Replace decoration with Bretonnian ones, replace commander with some Bret guy.

- Hellstorm / Hellblaster --> maybe some mangonell ? Simple version - replace crew with Trebuchet crew, remove Empire decorations

- Greatswords --> and this is the issue, only idea i have is Man at Arms bodies with 2H sword and knight heads

Edited by Verengard
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:13 AM, Verengard said:

- Steam Tank --> Replace decoration with Bretonnian ones, replace commander with some Bret guy.

- Hellstorm / Hellblaster --> maybe some mangonell ? Simple version - replace crew with Trebuchet crew, remove Empire decorations

- Greatswords --> and this is the issue, only idea i have is Man at Arms bodies with 2H sword and knight heads

I think the Steam Tank could be easily replaced by a dragon. Is not a beast on CC, but it could spit lots of fire!

Hellstorm can be replaced easily by a Catapult, hellblaster maybe by repeater ballista. 

I'm a huge fan of conversioning Questing knights into foot knights, but's an expensive option.

That's all the list from the Free Peoples for Cities of Sigmar? Do you try to build your own city, or you will use an existing one?

Edited by Sir Valiant de Quenelles

On 10/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

I think the Steam Tank could be easily replaced by a dragon. Is not a beast on CC, but it could spit lots of fire!

Hellstorm can be replaced easily by a Catapult, hellblaster maybe by some kind of repeater balista. 

I'm a huge fan of conversioning questiong knights into foot knghts, but's a really expensive option.

That's all the list from the Free Peoples for Cities of Sigmar? Do you try to build your own city or you will use an existing one?

You can check what is avaible on GW website, think its all "human" have to offer.

Hellstorm warscroll seems to fit the Trebuchet.

Yes, for questing knights i'm also thinking it might work to convert them to greatswords. Just thinking which legs will fit?.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, Verengard said:

Yes, for questing knights i'm also thinking it might work to convert them to greatswords. Just thinking which legs will fit?.

If your using the old cavalry torsos with a little filing and putty the flagellants work great, their legs dynamic pose working well with the old bret cavalry poses. Bam poor fellows of the lady ready to guard her pilgrim ways and defend the road shrines.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

There's a really classic looking cave drake in LOTR, which would be perfect!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Cave-Drake-2019

No wings, so no need to explain the fly speed as well.

Edited by zilberfrid

On 10/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, Evangelist of Cinders said:

If your using the old cavalry torsos with a little filing and putty the flagellants work great, their legs dynamic pose working well with the old bret cavalry poses. Bam poor fellows of the lady ready to guard her pilgrim ways and defend the road shrines.

Hmm kinights running with bare feet, dont like that idea :P currently i found only the 3 torsos from man at arms/bowmen command sprue fitting (except the fat guy)

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I registered to join this post about Bretonnia! I'm trying to assemble and paint a bretonnian force to play AoS. I'm uploading my progress on instagram and I hope you enjoy it. I read all the discussion and I'm working on a 1500 point list...

7 minutes ago, Rafa Disco said:

Hello everyone! I registered to join this post about Bretonnia! I'm trying to assemble and paint a bretonnian force to play AoS. I'm uploading my progress on instagram and I hope you enjoy it. I read all the discussion and I'm working on a 1500 point list.

Hi, they look good!

I know it's a bit heresy, but you could look into using the Knights of the Realm as Dark Riders, I know I am going to do just that (well, their horses are going to the outriders, but the knights themselves on empire horses will be Dark Riders).

Edited by zilberfrid

On 10/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, Evangelist of Cinders said:

I need to see that conversion!! 😮