Calling All Women!

There's a strange mentality with a lot of geekier subcultures that they should act as a place of rehabilitation for social awkwardness certainly. And I absolutiey agree with this, not just within wargames but with any club or group.

What's often missed though is that there is a difference between being being accepting and welcoming and understanding of people with behaviour that might be socially complicated on the one hand, and ignoring, appeasing or making excuses for unacceptable behaviour, irrespective of where it's coming from, on the other. No-one has a monopoly on treatment of others.

Now of course the means by which you would inform someone in that circumstance of appropriateness should be vastly more considered and tempered than if you were addressing a Guy just being a ******. But a conversation needs to happen and boundaries need to be established. Especially for people with social disorders, because many operate within a very binary means of perception. Boundaries are supportive and enlightening to many people in thise instances,  not punitive or restrictive.

As someone who has autistic family members and works with people with learning disabilities this is a real bugbear of mine. It's fantastic if you want to use your group to include people often excluded in the rest of society. But if you're going to do it, do it. Don't use it as a front to ignore or encourage someone's difficulties further, which is all youre doing by ignoring inappropriate beahaviour on their behalf. Treat them like an adult. Help them. And don't treat like someone who can't change their behaviour or take responsibility for their actions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2018 at 11:06 AM, AlphaKennyThing said:

What put her off? Did she say?

sorry about not answering you. We just had our son (grot) born this summer and things have been hectic.

She just lost interest really fast, I obsess over my hobbies and I hope I didn't drown her in my enthusiasm, but she never sat down to paint unless I was already painting or planned our gaming nights. Those were chinese food and  a ~1k game once, maybe twice a month last winter, where she stomped me almost everytime, since I love underdogs and misfit units and she goes for power everytime.  I decided to wait for her to plan one or even suggest one, but weeks past and nothing happened and it fizzled away and I just played at our local club.

It's just so bizzare. We don't have a GW here locally and when we were abroad last christmas, she was the one more excited for finding a store and bought models to bring back home. But she won't set foot in our local gaming store to play. Both did she get weird looks there when coming to pick me up after playing one day and generally didn't feel like she belonged there.  There are few girls I know of who play at our local club and they are for the most part very sterotypical hobby girls and spend all their spare time there. To top things , people thought she was there only because I was there, no one talked to her and some of the more shy ones even actively ignored her and though it was weird she played. So she got bad vibes from the playerbase. And as is so common she didn't think she knew the rules well enough to play there or have nice enough models. Which is like every wargamer knows, a load of ******.

Now we have a 2 month old and sure we could get maybe a small game here and there or short painting sessions. But I've just started binge watching TV  with her instead since I don't want to be in our hobby room and not with them. I hope to lift up some brushes soon tho and see what happens.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:06 AM, AlphaKennyThing said:

What put her off? Did she say?

sorry about not answering you. We just had our son (grot) born this summer and things have been hectic.

She just lost interest really fast, I obsess over my hobbies and I hope I didn't drown her in my enthusiasm, but she never sat down to paint unless I was already painting or planned our gaming nights. Those were chinese food and  a ~1k game once, maybe twice a month last winter, where she stomped me almost everytime, since I love underdogs and misfit units and she goes for power everytime.  I decided to wait for her to plan one or even suggest one, but weeks past and nothing happened and it fizzled away and I just played at our local club.

It's just so bizzare. We don't have a GW here locally and when we were abroad last christmas, she was the one more excited for finding a store and bought models to bring back home. But she won't set foot in our local gaming store to play. Both did she get weird looks there when coming to pick me up after playing one day and generally didn't feel like she belonged there.  There are few girls I know of who play at our local club and they are for the most part very sterotypical hobby girls and spend all their spare time there. To top things , people thought she was there only because I was there, no one talked to her and some of the more shy ones even actively ignored her and though it was weird she played. So she got bad vibes from the playerbase. And as is so common she didn't think she knew the rules well enough to play there or have nice enough models. Which is like every wargamer knows, a load of ******.

Now we have a 2 month old and sure we could get maybe a small game here and there or short painting sessions. But I've just started binge watching TV  with her instead since I don't want to be in our hobby room and not with them. I hope to lift up some brushes soon tho and see what happens.

I would love to see more Chaos characters and especially destruction characters be female, and on the point of Chaos can we avoid the sex demons idea. Like why isn't there Nurgle Plague Mothers? like that would be great representation. Or Khorne beserkers that are female (there might be but I haven't seen them).  Beasts of Chaos should have female models like right away, again awesome representation. I would love  models that aren't eye candy, that can be ugly battle scared people. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Slaanesh I just want more than Sex Demons as an option for chaos.

As for destruction, I get that in at least 40k Orks are a mono sex species, and grots being related should also be, so like no need to mess that up, but what about Gargaunts (you could even pull double duty with this and make rules for chaos and destruction versions) but like female Ogres should be a thing, like I don't see why not.

Death could use some female zombies, and Flesh Eaters, and updated Vampire models, though the one female Vampire Lord is actually fine to me (just needs some polish really and to be plastic). Death though is pretty close to the best for non-typical representation (aka not being eye candy), and they have some awesome leaders who are female.

We need troops that are female and we need cool leaders, perferably some more who are like yep melee instead of just casters but I will take what I can get.

To me one of the easiest ways GW could work on this is expanding and updating the Wanderers line, they are mostly resin for their leaders and they have some cool stuff already but just a bit more would be a nice adition, and making mixed units genderwise would also help a lot. That and fix the ratio issues with the Stormcast models (Men always out number the women in SCE).

Note: This is all coming from a trans woman and I would love to see more representation but lets be fair AOS is miles above 40k and if I had to pick between the two I would ask that GW work on 40k first, though obviously both would be best.

Archived