Help me build an army around Celestial Hurricanum?

sorokyl

I love this model, probably my favorite order model.  I don't have it yet, but I am already planning for when I do.  I want to build an army around the model, (or perhaps both this and the luminark), likely mixed order army likely (so far haven't been able to commit to a single faction that has enough stuff for me). Maybe a firestorm free city.   I am thinking wizards, humans, elves, dwarves maybe. Maybe some stormcast but I'm hesitant to put big models that dwarf my hurricanum and other heroes.

I don't really have any other models in mind right now though and I'm having trouble figuring out how to put this army together. Should I start with more heroes next, or start with battleline, or what?

I don't really care about the army being competitive. I already have several other armies.  Here are things that are important to me:
Aesthetic cohesiveness 
Prefer elite units to horde units
Don't really like freeguild troops, just not enough fantasy for me  
(can't really thing of any other major bullet points)

These are the Order battlelines that I like (visually):

Bleakswords/Dreadspears
Longbeards
Namarti Thralls
Arkanaut Company
Reavers (island of blood sculpts, if i can find em)

Not opposed to mixing them, could be cool.

As far as other heroes. not sure. Open for recommendations on things that go well with the Hurricanum visually or some good synergies. 

I've been thinking about almost exactly this question. I really like the collegiate arcane stuff and was kinda interested in a list themed around them. My biggest fear is that it's nearly 1/5 of your points and not particularly sturdy so keeping it around might be hard.

Im thinking about at least one battlemage. It will benefit from the cast buff which helps it a bit. Jade/life for the healing and extra save seems very useful to keep your hurricanum.

I feel like the hurricanum will require at least one big block of screening troops to keep it in the fight since it is pretty bad in melee and quite fragile for it's cost. Longbeards or dreadspears seem solid for this although if you are looking for elite, some liberators or sequitors may be more what you are looking for. Some thunderers quarrelers or celestar ballistas also seem like they'd compliment it well and benefit from it's buff nicely. Pheonox guard also seem like a worthy consideration. Very sturdy for their cost.

I also have really liked the idea of reavers but have personally been struggling to fit them with the hurricanum. They seem like they want to be off on the flanks and therefore might not benefit from it's buff as much but then on a personal level I tend to not want to just play a gunline and it seems like the hurricanum might go better with a gunline...

Probably the easiest/most thematic thing to do off the top of my head would be to go with a Hallowheart Allegiance and just throw in whatever you want if you really want a magic themed army. You could even use the War Council battalion for more magic-madness, which would pretty much force all 6 of your Hero options to being a Battlemage on Griffon, a Luminark, a Hurricanum and 3 Battlemages on foot, unless you take the regular Luminark over the one with the white battlemage, freeing you of a hero slot.

Of course, in doing that you would have a pretty high tax of points and could pretty much only field 3 minimum units of battleline with a bit leftover. I believe someone recently posted up a potential War Council list using 3x10 Vulkite Berzerkers which sounds pretty good. Other than that, Liberators may be a good fit for that more elite feeling army. With a setup like this, you are relying on your magic than you are anything else, so take some endless spells as well with the leftover points.

Otherwise, I would say grab some of the hero options above regardless (at least the Luminark with your Hurricanum), drop the battalion and fill up more on the battleline of your choosing with heroes to support them, like the Archmage for his elemental shield spell.

31 minutes ago, Frowny said:

Pheonox guard also seem like a worthy consideration. Very sturdy for their cost.

27 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

+1 Recommend on Phoenix Guard. They hit pretty good and are super tough, how many other units can ignore Mortal Wounds?

Love the look, but They are only battleline in Phoenix Temple army =(  are you guys suggesting I take them in addition to my battleline tax? 

3x10 arkanauts co with triple skyhooks to fill your battleline. Couple of units of ten skinks for chaffage/irritation/protection. Celestar Ballistae seem an obvious shooting choice. Phoenixes (frost) for attacking out with your bubble. Knight incantor gives you another wizard, dispel scroll and access to buy the everblaze comet if you want. Mixed order has lots of great options.

Another to the Collegiate Arcane cause! 

Honestly, you do have a TON of options, you just need a direction to focus on.

Do you want a melee spearhead, with the Hurricanum surround by potent melee guys, all buffed by magic? For this I would take the Namarti Thralls, with the Jade Battlemage. Balance it out with durable Phoenix Guard, a Frostheart Phoenix as well, and fill out with some other heavy hitting heroes and chaff to protect. 

Or perhaps a traditional gunline list? Sit back and let the bullet fly. For this I'd take the Arkanaut Company with Skyhooks for battleline, lots of damage there. If the units are big enough, a Khemist to buff them. Sprinkle in some Ironweld/Stormcast Artillery to get the Hurricanum buff and screen with Bleaksword chaff.

Or perhaps get weird and go all in with Magic? Go crazy, take the War Council battalion and a handful of Endless Spells. Funny enough, regular Dispossesed Warriors make the best battleline for this: cheap, surprisingly durable AND killy (2handers and shields, feels cheap but still legit), and they can be immune to random Endless Spells that might fly back you way.

Sooo, yeah, a LOT of options. I am in the same boat. I love the Hurricanum and have been wracking my brain trying to make the perfect Collegiate Arcane army, but there are so many options that you risk ending up with 80 Bajillion points in Mixed Order. :P Good luck!

16 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

Another to the Collegiate Arcane cause! 

Honestly, you do have a TON of options, you just need a direction to focus on.

Do you want a melee spearhead, with the Hurricanum surround by potent melee guys, all buffed by magic? For this I would take the Namarti Thralls, with the Jade Battlemage. Balance it out with durable Phoenix Guard, a Frostheart Phoenix as well, and fill out with some other heavy hitting heroes and chaff to protect. 

Or perhaps a traditional gunline list? Sit back and let the bullet fly. For this I'd take the Arkanaut Company with Skyhooks for battleline, lots of damage there. If the units are big enough, a Khemist to buff them. Sprinkle in some Ironweld/Stormcast Artillery to get the Hurricanum buff and screen with Bleaksword chaff.

Or perhaps get weird and go all in with Magic? Go crazy, take the War Council battalion and a handful of Endless Spells. Funny enough, regular Dispossesed Warriors make the best battleline for this: cheap, surprisingly durable AND killy (2handers and shields, feels cheap but still legit), and they can be immune to random Endless Spells that might fly back you way.

Sooo, yeah, a LOT of options. I am in the same boat. I love the Hurricanum and have been wracking my brain trying to make the perfect Collegiate Arcane army, but there are so many options that you risk ending up with 80 Bajillion points in Mixed Order. :P Good luck!

I've been considering basically this list.

The only problem is you cannot increase the range of endless spells with the War Council, but you can make the something silly like +6 to cast...!

I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Executioners as well.  420pts for 30 models on 25mm bases, 2 attacks each with a 1" reach, and every 6+ to hit deals 2 mortal wounds, which with a Hurricanum becomes every roll of a 5+.  With optimal placement and average rolls that's 40 mortal wounds from a single round of attacks, and if you toss in a Knight Azyros to get reroll 1s to hit it could go even higher.  They make an excellent hammer for a Phoenix Guard anvil if you go in that direction.

• 6 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, sorokyl said:

Open for recommendations on things that go well with the Hurricanum visually or some good synergies. 

On 9/24/2018 at 3:10 PM, Frowny said:

I've been thinking about almost exactly this question...

On 9/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, yarrickson said:

3x10 arkanauts co with triple skyhooks to fill your battleline...Knight incantor gives you another wizard, dispel scroll and access to buy the everblaze comet if you want. Mixed order has lots of great options.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, flamingwalnut said:

Sooo, yeah, a LOT of options. I am in the same boat.

I was building a list last night along these lines... 

Khemist

Lord Ordinator

Knight Incantor

Runelord with Anvil

Apprentice Runesmith

--

X10 Duardin Warriors

X10 Duardin Warriors

X30 Arkanaut Co w/ skyhooks

--

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

--

Celestial Hurricanum

~2000 points 

This list will means you can effectively chip away anything that stays beyond 24" and then extremely annihilate anything within 18".

Go bottom of turn 1 and start selecting units to remove from the table. The Hurricanum buffs +1 to hit to all order within 10". That means your skyhooks and ballistas are +1. Additional +1s from the Ordiantor and Arkanaut abilities.

Then the Incantor and runelord with Anvil will just start unbinding any spells in your direction. Sneak an endless spell in there. Start throwing multiple D3 mortal wound attacks around with the Incantor, runelord, and Hurricanum.

Maybe if KO don't get any love anytime soon, I'll convert a frigate to carry the Hurricanum, convert some other dwarf units to match as my Ballistas, Admiral to an Ordinator, Navigator as Incantor, Endrinmaster as a Runelord with Anvil, and some Arkanauts with shields instead of pistols as warriors.

It'll be my new mixed order, KO army.

Edited by Nicholunch
  • Like 3