Ally endless spells?

mmimzie

Question

7 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

If you have stormcast allies (aka you are order) can you take the stormcast endless spell as an ally so long as you have a stormcast wizard to cast the darn thing?

Yes.  The endless spells dont have factions or anything like that the only limitation is on who can cast them.

You could take the death endless spells if you want, you just have no way to cast them.

Considering that Spell Lores and many other faction specific things like abilities, tables, charts and such are all faction locked is there anywhere where GW expressly gives you permission to buy any endless spell even if its faction specific? I ask only because whilst they are not regular spells, they can be very similar to regular spells and the only spells allied wizards can use are those that are on their warscroll and any from a shared lore (which would typically only be a realm spell lore). 

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

Considering that Spell Lores and many other faction specific things like abilities, tables, charts and such are all faction locked is there anywhere where GW expressly gives you permission to buy any endless spell even if its faction specific? I ask only because whilst they are not regular spells, they can be very similar to regular spells and the only spells allied wizards can use are those that are on their warscroll and any from a shared lore (which would typically only be a realm spell lore). 

well thats not entirely true because allied wizards can still cast generic endless spells you have. SO that is kinda counter intuitive to the whole idea you present here i think. 

7 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

well thats not entirely true because allied wizards can still cast generic endless spells you have. SO that is kinda counter intuitive to the whole idea you present here i think. 

Which generic spells? The only ones I'm aware of allied wizards being able to cast are the ones written on their warscroll - such as any signature spells and also common likes like arcane bolt. Otherwise they can't use their faction specific lore nor the faction they are allied into. 

edit - sorry read the post wrong - yes they can still use the generic ones. I guess the point is then can a faction buy endless spells when the endless spell has a keyword that isn't within the faction itself; since the endless spell isn't an allied unit a such.

54 minutes ago, Overread said:

edit - sorry read the post wrong - yes they can still use the generic ones. I guess the point is then can a faction buy endless spells when the endless spell has a keyword that isn't within the faction itself; since the endless spell isn't an allied unit a such.

Oddly enough none of the endless spells have a faction specific keyword. So they can be taken in any army list and not cost any points for allies. 

The catch is things like the comet do specify that only stormcast wizards can actually cast the spell even if you took comet in anything but stormcast you would still need to ally a SCE wizard to actually use it.

@Drofnum & @King Taloren are entirely correct.

@Overread - There is no such thing as a "faction specific" Endless Spell. They don't have faction keywords or anything. As the other guys said, some Endless Spells have limitations or who can cast them, but you need no more permission to put an Everblaze Comet in your army than you do for a Purple Sun etc.  (you just might not be able to cast it! :P)

Archived