Any News From FaceHammer GT 2018?

TheWilddog

2 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Frostlord, hag. 120 grots (60,40,20), 2 units fanatics, 2 shamans (fungoid and moonclan)

This was the second place destro that went 5-0.

This really brings a smile to my face. Seems like a throwback to mixed Destruction lists of old, with a big bruising mammoth surrounded by grots. The Frostlord rides again.

8 hours ago, Yoshiya said:

Great to see Phoenix Temple still has an 80% win rate. Clearly the strongest faction in the game still.

Yeh, it's a undisputed fact that Phoenix Temple are the best army in the game. I'm looking forward to seeing @LLV's updated spreadsheet which will back up this claim.

The 80% win rate is actually only true in two day events...I've also played a one dayer with them where I won all three games.

So; 11/13 wins in tournament games = 84.62% win rate is the real truth...but I'll take the 80% that's being thrown around I guess. :P 

Oh, Facehammer GT was amazing. It's been my favourite tournament of the year for the last three years. Great fun.

Chris

(please note this post is entirely tongue in cheek - bar the praise for the event! I'm just enjoying the fact I'm currently still able to push this joke haha! xD)

1 hour ago, WoollyMammoth said:

This tournament was won on sportsmanship. That is awesome.

That arguable. Seeing the result i'm seeing 0-5-10-20 score. It's look like a vote system (favorite opponent or something). Personnally i don't like those kind of system, it's more about popularity than sportmanship. 

From seeing those results, I would be really surprised that all those guys with a Zero score display bad sportmanship. 

I think a good sportmanship system should be more objective, like everyone start at 20 point and get penality if they display lack of sportmanship, more like a foul system than getting subjective vote from a game you connected with your opponent.

@broche
I think sportsmanship is the #1 thing that needs to be policed at tournaments, there is nothing worse than a bad opponent. I have gotten blown out in a big game, that sucks but I have nothing against my opponent. But when you get an immature, rude and even cheating opponent, that ruins tournaments altogether.

I've had some pretty good opponents at tournaments. People are people, not everyone is the most enjoyable opponent, but everyone can keep the social contract and be a reasonable person. I had one belligerent player at a local tournament and I just walked away. Unfortunately when you are in the late games of a tournament, especially at the top tables, you don't have the luxury of walking away. Against a bad opponent, its like being locked in a box with them for 3 hours. This can be a living nightmare, and I would not be surprised if many people have quit tournaments altogether after this kind of experience. We need to be able to prevent this kind of thing 100%. Due to a low number of moderators and without a clear sportsmanship guideline, this kind of thing is unfortunately very real in the tournament scene. I have heard first hand reports of this kind of behavior not only unchecked, but the perpetrators rewarded - finishing high ranks in a tournament. If this continues, the top tables will become dominated by cheaters and jerks. 

I don't agree that best game vote is a popularity contest other than, if the opponent is a really great guy and people just enjoy playing games against them. I think that being a really great guy and a good sport is something we should all strive for, and those that achieve it should be rewarded. If we allow opponents to merely list us as "bad sports", the bad sports will simply list all their opponents as bad sports and punish good sports for no reason. The best game vote is a great system because you have to save your vote for the one stand-out player. Unless you played a good friend, this is objective. Unless you showed up with a large club its unlikely biased. TO can also look into this and have a rule where you cannot vote for someone in your own club. 

I'm not sure the best answer but I'm sure that TO need to seriously think about this and come up with a solution. I can't imagine spending all the time and effort to organize a tournament, then find out some players were abused and I did nothing about it. Currently in some tournaments the abusive people are winning and taking home the trophy. If I ever organize a tournament, my number one priority would be to identify and disqualify bad sports during the event. I would want it to be known that my tournament is the one that doesn't tolerate BS.  

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, WoollyMammoth said:

This tournament was won on sportsmanship. That is awesome.

My personal experience with sportsmanship scores has been that they get abused by the most negative players to ****** over people just for winning games(and before anyone says it, no this didn't happen to me, I've just seen multiple people deliberately tank sportsmanship scores because they were salty.)

Archived