Counts-as Skinks?

Frowny

I really like the idea of a mobile hit-and-run style army. The problem is a lot of armies have 1ish troops like this, but not really enough to make that a theme, so was thinking mixed order with some combination of reavers, skinks and a few harder-hitting cavalry. 

The problem is, I think skinks would look quite out-of-place with all the more traditional order humans/elves. 

Any thoughts on some sort of converted human carrying a blowpipe and buckler? I was thinking maybe the namarti reaver as a base model but without the bow/arrows, and maybe some other heads. And mounted on the correct bases.

Are there other (still GW) base models that would make more sense? 

Can you imagine anyone having trouble with this? I think there wouldn't be any other significantly converted troops in the army. I'm highly unlikely to be playing in any tournaments

5 hours ago, Frowny said:

Can you imagine anyone having trouble with this? I think there wouldn't be any other significantly converted troops in the army. I'm highly unlikely to be playing in any tournaments

If someone has problems with a model replacement/conversion, done to have a more visually/thematically coherent army... especially if outside a tournament... probably it's someone I will have no fun playing with anyway. :)

Any  conversion is always with your opponents permission and that will vary based on the person and the situation of the game. Furthermore it can often depend on both the quality of the conversion and the overall appearance of the army you are using.

1) If its at a GW store then models should be mostly if not all GW product only. Bases normally slide with this rule, but the model itself should be GW parts. Now chances are a sword or an arm here or there will easily get by, but you won't often (if ever) get to use full models from another range in a GW store nor at a sponsored GW event.

2) If its a tournament/competitive event (esp one which is more than just the local store members playing - ergo perhaps an area/regional or even national event). At these whilst they might not be GW sponsored they will often hold a higher standard of quality and visual identity of models. So if your conversions look very different to the normal you might find that they are rejected; or if they are very poorly done etc.... For events always email and contact ahead to show what you are taking to get approval before the event; that way you don't turn up on the day to disappointment (or take legal options in the bag as well to swap in if you are rejected in using your converted ones)

3) Model for advantage. If your model features a huge bulldozer blade that you can block line of sight and hide half your army behind - yeah - that's more likely to get refused. Often this one only rolls out for extreme situations or where its clear someone is trying to be subtle with cheating. 

4) Quality and effort. If you've sculpted a perfect model out of greenstuff and present it on the tabletop, chances are that's going to be allowed by many. If you've got a handful of "green boxOsoldiers" stuck on bases chances are most are going to refuse to play against that. Sure in a friendly game where you might just be testing something out before buying that's fine; but most are not going to want to play against that regularly and in a competitive event not at all. 

5) Visual identity with the rest of the army. If your new units look very much like something else that you can also field then some might refuse on account that its confusing to play against. Yes there are legal models that look very similar too, but its different when you've taken deliberate action to convert things. Similarly if you convert a whole army in a similar way/theme then that might get through due to the effort and overall epic impression (remembering that whilst the army might have the same themes in its design they don't all look the same).

All these things (and more) vary what will and won't be accepted/rejected on the tabletop. Everything is always with your opponents permission and most of the time people are pretty accepting of things. Competitions change things a bit as do GW stores, but overall its all down to each individual game as to what will and won't be acceptable. 

I was thinking maybe using Moonclan grots but with hooded aelf heads (the wanderers glade guard and eternal guard come with a  bunch of spare hooded heads, so you should be able to find plenty of spares without having to buy the kits). 

Unfortunately it looks like the heads of the grots are not separate pieces on the sprue, therefore it would involve a fair bit of cutting/filing/filling to create the models. 

Archived