Priming

Lior'Lec

I live in the Gulf Coast region, this time of year the humidity is always high and it rains daily. I’m wanting to start a paint project and need to get it primed but the weather has really not been working with me. I’ve never painted without primer but have noticed all of the model paints I own are “specifically designed to stick to plastics” (as per the manufacturers). Just how much would it affect the paint job if I  tried to paint without priming first? Has anyone tried before? Should I just wait a few more weeks/month for the weather to change? Hope I get a lucky day with no rain? Just for clarity’s sake: it has rained roughly five days out of every six for about two months now, always in the afternoon and weekends when I’m home from work.

Unfortunately no, there are people in my household with breathing problems so using a spray primer indoors is a definite no go for me. I both spray outside and leave the models outside for the first hour of drying just to be safe. While I could probably spray somewhere like the bathroom with the fan on it just isn’t something I’m willing to do. 

I'd be a bit wary of painting without primer as there is a risk of the non primer paint peeling/flaking off. I hear even models that are advertised as "paint ready" like Reaper Bones are still better off primed.

I suppose you could use paint on primer? Is that a thing that exists? Or does primer need air (either a spray can or airbrush) to work? I'm not too knowledgeable on what to do if you can't use spray cans.

1 hour ago, Lior'Lec said:

I live in the Gulf Coast region, this time of year the humidity is always high and it rains daily. I’m wanting to start a paint project and need to get it primed but the weather has really not been working with me. I’ve never painted without primer but have noticed all of the model paints I own are “specifically designed to stick to plastics” (as per the manufacturers). Just how much would it affect the paint job if I  tried to paint without priming first? Has anyone tried before? Should I just wait a few more weeks/month for the weather to change? Hope I get a lucky day with no rain? Just for clarity’s sake: it has rained roughly five days out of every six for about two months now, always in the afternoon and weekends when I’m home from work.

I have had similar issues and I would recommend Vallejo's  Surface Primer line.  It can be brushed on and works great, plus it comes in a great range of colors.  Brushing it on can be a little slow if you are doing a whole army project but should definitely be able to get you going.  

header.jpg

I have this same problem. I built one of these and stick it in a window and close the window like its an AC unit. I used a deeper plastic bin but it works great. No mess, no fumes and it was cheap. Just leave the fan running as the model drys. If you don't the model itself will fill the room with fumes. You can but simple twist on connectors to do the wiring. No need for solder.

https://makezine.com/2015/08/08/build-an-easy-and-cheap-tabletop-spray-booth/

I added this and I use packing tape to hold a piece of cardboard on top of it so it doesn't get covered in paint and i can spin the model. A box of latex gloves from the pharmacy and your hands stay clean also.

https://www.vxb.com/3-inch-Lazy-Susan-Acrylic-Bearing-Turntable-AS11-p/LAZY-AS11-ACRYLIC.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlqLdBRCKARIsAPxTGaXKn02QJsegkHBKRDLyZuq4BgYCQN9rwuDGGgOZbLs716tbMs7xYtoaApd6EALw_wcB

@mDaro     I’m building myself an airbrush station (amongst a ton of other stuff) and I *could* use it in the house when finished (planning to have it in my hobby shed). But I haven’t gotten my fan in yet (6” in-line booster fan) and wanted to get some painting done... well, now. Picked up two small bottles of the brush on stuff so I was able to get something done over the weekend (my local game store didn’t carry the large bottles but he is ordering me some). My current painting/modeling area is in my living room and while I *might* be able to use an airbrush when the booth is finished I won’t mess with spray cans inside, even with the booth. (I reeeeally need to get back to work on my hobby shed).

Ultimately it depends on what you're planning on using your models for.  For lightweight gaming then no-primer or using a brush on one will be fine.  If you do heavy priming then you're not going to beat the adherence of a GW spray can (these are "etching sprays", meaning that they slightly melt the plastic to achieve a strong bond).

Completely agree on spraying indoors - I'd never suggest that unless you have a walk in spray booth xD  One thing I tend to do during the winter months (when it's warm enough and not too humid) is to stand in the entrance of my garage (with the door open) and spray outwards.

Archived