Nighthaunt warband stats so far

Anthony225

Since we know quite a bit about the  nighthaunts so far I thought I'd share some things I'm thinking about how to play them. So obviously they are very fast with multiple means of pushing multiple models quickly. Not only do we have much access to pushes, but the nighthaunt are not to slow statwise either with 3 movement. 

I was thinking of trying two very different builds with them. First would be objective based which I think if any warband was going to be good at objectives, it'd be nighthaunt. It'd be probably be the same old 1-5 objectives, supremacy, our only way out... 

The other way I was thinking of playing them, which seems much more fun to me, is to play aggro. Maybe not full aggro, but mostly. With so many mass push options, you could easily get your warband into enemy territory. And since the fighters inspire by being adjacent to an enemy fighter they be likely to accomplish that goal. Being able to move through lethal hexes, blocked hexes, and even other fighters means no enemy is safe and you can easily surround and kill specific enemy fighters. Even if the boards are length-wise you'd still be able to close in on the enemy territory pretty quickly. defensive objective decks would certainly not be fond of a bunch of ghosts floating around them while they tried to turtle up.

For the aggro build I would have have the usual ready for action but also time trap as I think that could be used to great affect in certain situations. If things are getting a little carried away and you feel like you need to pull back you could use Varclav's push ability twice to move all chainrasps 4 hexes and hopefully out of danger. Acrobatic would be a no brainer with 2 dodge everywhere as well as trusted defender. Deathly fortitude could be good as well since a lot of your fighters will be pushed around and not so much moving. 

So for me, I'm going to start with an aggro ghost build as currently I think it'll be great for them. 

They're going to be quite different, that's for sure. Inspiring without ploys or spells  might be tricky. If an opponent charges one of your models and gets a pushback, your model won't be adjacent at the start of your activation, so when it comes to your opponent's turn, you're counting on failed attacks that don't result in being knocked back or moves or setting up your fighters in such a way that the opponent has to make some bad choices when he charges. 

Regarding objectives, the build will depend on what's in the new Nightvault box, especially the faction-specific options. Among Shadespire objective cards, HOX and the usual objective-grabbers seem pretty good, although this will make Vaclav's ability worth less over time. And the more you use that ability, the further behind Vaclav and the Briar Queen will fall, so I think the idea behind the warband is this, at least for round 1:

1. Vaclav activates, pushing the Ever-Hanged and the four Chainrasps up the battlefield. The Ever-Hanged is hanging out behind the Chainrasps, who are ... paired up? Lined up four across if possible? I don't know.

2. The Ever-Hanged charges an opponent who is hanging out near a now-inspired Chainrasp, or maybe the Briar Queen moves up and casts a spell.

3. Whichever fighter didn't activate in step 2 activates now.

4. Vaclav activates again, either pushing fighters into position for round 2, pushing fighters onto objectives or in such a way as to score objectives, or attacking (because he's no slouch).

Pushing four Chainrasps and the Ever-Hanged two hexes is nice, but your fighters will need to do work eventually, and Chainrasps don't seem like the best candidates without a shadeglass upgrade. When you attack with an uninspired Vaclav or an uninspired Ever-Hanged at the end of a round, you'll have a real decision on your hands if you don't take the enemy fighter out of action: leave the two fighters adjacent and hope to win the roll at the start of round 2, or push the enemy fighter back so that he can't push back your fighter or take him out at the start of round 2.

As far as Acrobatic goes, I'm  not interested. You shouldn't be, either :)

Important to note that we've seen two Chainrasps so far, and they've had different stats. Here's the first one anyone saw, AFAIK:

img_7472.jpg?w=640

Note that he has an attack profile of 1R/1S/2D. Here's the Chainrasp from the official preview earlier this week:

WHUWNighthaunt-Sep17-Chainrasp4qh.jpg

Given the different profiles, it's possible that you'll want to use certain Chainrasps in certain roles. For example, 1 sword is rather miserably, so the first one might be a better candidate to hold an objective than the second. YMMV.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, Anthony225 said:

For the aggro build I would have have the usual ready for action but also time trap as I think that could be used to great affect in certain situations. If things are getting a little carried away and you feel like you need to pull back you could use Varclav's push ability twice to move all chainrasps 4 hexes and hopefully out of danger. Acrobatic would be a no brainer with 2 dodge everywhere as well as trusted defender. Deathly fortitude could be good as well since a lot of your fighters will be pushed around and not so much moving. 

So for me, I'm going to start with an aggro ghost build as currently I think it'll be great for them. 

I think Time Trap used with Varclar's ability is not so great: most of the chainrasps are still weak fighters even inspired, Time Trap let you opponent to have 2 activations before you can play again. Even with 2 dices with dodge, most of the time your opponent will have good chances to kill your chainrasps: attacks with 3 sword or 2 hammer and 2 damages are pretty common and are better than 2 dodge defenses. You can count on supports to change that, that is true.

Time Trap won't let you secure objective holding like Mischievous Spirits, Side Step or other push ploys.

Quick Thinker is, in another hand, handsome (it alway is) to get close with the hang chainsrasp when your opponent is charging another model.

Inexorable Progression (I google translated from french, I hope it got back to the original name) and Quick Advance can be helpfull to get inspired too. But the main issue is the weakness of your model attacks: none of them does 3 damage uninspired. Even with Twisting the Blade you won't kill a bloodwarrior or a stormcast. You will need early glory points to buy weapon upgrades, there is some easy "score it immediately" cards to help you do so but for the moment I think Aggro ghost would be weaker than the bloodreavers.

There is not res ploys or action so I would not take keys or (Destiny to Meet like cars) I would play the Nighthaunt with an Hold Objective deck with glass weapon upgrades and upgrades and ploys like Last Chance, Acrobatic etc. For the moment, the meta is about killing 4 wounds models with 1 attack (avoiding to get killed by My Turn): let your opponent waste his upgrades and ploys overkilling your chainrasps, score some easy objectives ( Determined Defender? needed to be score round 2 to use the glory upgrading a model... Change of Tactic? Miraculous Escape ?), gear up and only then go for the kill.

I used skritch and the boys a couple of times in a pretty much pure objective deck (with a couple of score immediate for skritch slap).

the nighthaunt i think i could play with a similar objective deck:

- Hold 1-5

- Supremacy

- Our only way out (or one of the tactical genius cards OR making a statement, which is very scorable for them)

- Tactical Supremacy 1-2

- Tactical Supremacy 3-4

which leaves 3 faction specific objectives, maybe drop Hold 5. from the agents of sigmar battle report, the nighthaunt are FAST. I'm keen to try it out

Archived