Got the Malignants Start Collecting, need your help now!

Hannibal

Hi all,

today I bought the Start Collecting Malignants Boxed Set and now I need your help...

Well, I´ve got an additional Box of Hexwraiths here and with the SC box I currently own:

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)

Battleline

Units
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)

Total: 700 / 1000

The Coven Throne is there because it was the reason to buy this SC, therefore I like to keep it as my general. Well, now I like to ask some questions:

1.) Which battleline would you recommend? I´m thinking about 2x 5 Dire Wolves just to keep the battleline tax as low as possible (I´m heading towards 1000 points).

2.) Which additional hero should I get? I simply don´t have a clue what works well with the miniatures above. I´d like to keep the Vampire / Spirits theme though.

3.) Do I need a second hero at all in 1000 points?

4.) I really really love the Myrmourn Banshees and therefore I like to add them to the army....

That being said, it all comes down to

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
4 x Myrmourn Banshees (80)

Total: 900 / 1000

but it looks like a rather weak army. There is no hammer unit I suppose.

Any help / ideas would be great!

I think you should think about where you want to take the army as you grow. Right now the army feels more nighthaunt than LoN. At 2k you could very well run the throne as an ally in a NH army. 

Which then leads me to thinking that for now run it is LoN with a transition to NH in mind.

Thus id drop the wolves and with your remaining pts go with and Chainrasp hordes as your battle line.

That leaves 60pts to spend on spells or a bonus cp.

19 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

Thus I'd drop the wolves and with your remaining pts go with and Chainrasp hordes as your battle line.

The other benefit of chainrasps is that you get some 25mm bases in your army. Problem with dire wolves in your list is that everything is already on a big base. Might sound dumb but smaller bases actually come in handy quite a lot. In terms of a second hero, while a necromancer is never bad, you may want a mounted Knight of Shrouds to buff up the nighthaunt units.

You probably want to choose allegiance you are going to play, because your current roster is not going to verify for any allegiance except generic death (can't take banshees in Legions, Dire wolves in Nighthaunt), which is not as good as Legions or Nighthaunt.
Also i strongly recomend getting a second hero, preferably a wizard.

I would advise this list :

Allegiance : Legion of Sacrament

Leaders :
Coven Throne (260)
- Spell : Amethystine Pinions
- General + Trait : Emissary of the Master
- Artefact : Wristband of Black Gold

Vampire Lord (140)
- Winged horror
- Spell : Vile Transference

Battleline :
10x Chainrasps Horde (80)
10x Chainrasps Horde (80)

Units :
10x Hexwraiths (320)
3x Spirit Hosts (120)

1000pt on the dot.

You could even try to make a vampire with the Coven Throne kit ? Not sure if you have enough bits for it…
From there, you could expand to Nighthaunts or Legion of Nagash quite easily.
With this list, you have :
- A resilient and fast general, who can be quite a hard hitter if buffed with the Vampire Lord command ability
- Some bodies that will benefit from gravesites to tarpit ennemy units (Chainrasps, Spirit Hosts)
- A cavalery unit, that an also be healed with gravesites, deathly invocation, vile transference
- Two wizards with casting bonus

Archived