100% gw model for GW tournaments.

Nerdkingdan

Question

Was reading today and it seems like some events require 100% gw model....

Does this include the base?   

Cork board is not a gw product, maybe some 3rd party base decorations?   Some base sold by a 3rd party.  Stuff like that, or does doing that on my models prevent me from attending one of those events?

6 answers to this question

Each tournament is going to be different.  More recently Games Workshop events have stated that the bases don't have to be GW, however that wasn't always the case.  Small bits (e.g. leaves, static grass) have never been an issue - you can't prove where they come from and often there is no GW alternative.

My suggestion would be to check the event pack and if it's not 100% clear send a picture to the tournament organiser.

Warhammer World events never used to stipulate but then last year (or earlier this year i forget exactly when) for a tournament event they stipulated 100% including the base, this raised a bit of uproar and the main focus I saw was a competitor who had a beautiful marine army (Imperial Fist i think) that had used 3rd party resin bases. They backtracked and allowed 3rd party bases, but obviously still need to be correct size/shape.

8 minutes ago, stato said:

Warhammer World events never used to stipulate but then last year (or earlier this year i forget exactly when) for a tournament event they stipulated 100% including the base, this raised a bit of uproar and the main focus I saw was a competitor who had a beautiful marine army (Imperial Fist i think) that had used 3rd party resin bases. They backtracked and allowed 3rd party bases, but obviously still need to be correct size/shape.

There's always been a rule of "only GW at GW events/locations" for as long as I can remember to stop people bringing third party miniatures to events and allows GW to show painted armies within White Dwarf and on social media.  It's certainly been in place all the time AoS has been about (I just looked on one of the Throne of Skull packs from 2016).  I think relaxing the rules on bases was a brilliant move on their part though.

Not sure I'll go to one, but I made some bits for my base with a 3d printer.    All the actual models themselves are legit, but I got to wondering if I'll have to remove that if I decide to go to an official event.     I also bought some fish from mordland studios for my deepkin, and using some plants from Joann fabrics.    As well as cork board.

Wondering if I'll have to re base them if I go to one of these, sounds like a maybe....

The base issued I'd not heard of, but yes GW stores and backed  events have always had a GW models only policy. Remember for htem its not just giving you a place to game its advertising their product and game and getting more people involved. Both at stores, and also when it comes to big events where they'll be taking and publishing photos. They don't want the winning army that gets a double page spread in White Dwarf to be made of Warmachine Models. 

Conversions, though, have always been a strong point in the range and thus most stores and officials have generally overlooked or allowed modest use of parts from other companies - and many times you can't even see base details or minor details that are from other ranges. 

In the end the answer ALWAYS is "it depends". Best thing is go get some good quality photos of your minis and email the event organiser/event email and ask them if they are acceptable or not. I wouldn't pre-load it with lots of details of where all the parts are from, just show them the photos and ask if these conversions are going to be allowed to be played at the event. 

If you can't or don't do that but still decide to attend then I'd ensure that you had a legal 100% army option in the bag with you. Practical if you've only a few conversions to swap over; not so if its the entire army (and honestly if its the entire or most of the army I'd really be expecting you to check beforehand). 

1 minute ago, Nerdkingdan said:

Not sure I'll go to one, but I made some bits for my base with a 3d printer.    All the actual models themselves are legit, but I got to wondering if I'll have to remove that if I decide to go to an official event.     I also bought some fish from mordland studios for my deepkin, and using some plants from Joann fabrics.    As well as cork board.

Wondering if I'll have to re base them if I go to one of these, sounds like a maybe....

From what you've just listed the only thing I'd personally be checking is the fish.  Everything else is either your own design or from non-miniature companies :)

Archived