Spray Can Storage

RuneBrush

Hi All,

I'm currently on the hunt for some kind of wall mounted spraycan storage that doesn't cost me a second-mortgage...  Over the years I've amassed quite a collection of spray/rattlecans (probably around 18 different colours - plus spares) and looking for a better way of storing them indoors that isn't just a random collection on the floor.  Looking on the likes of Amazon, all of the options are super expensive - to the point where you're almost paying the same amount per "slot" as you would for a new can.

So, over to you for thoughts and suggestions :)

Check your local hardware store and grab a 20’ stick of PVC pipe that’s large enough to slip a can into (I believe 2” sch 40 fits, though it might be larger). Cut them 1” to 1-1/2” shorter than the can lengths (use a smaller piece of pipe for backspace filler on shorter cans) and glue them together in a honeycomb pattern with clear PVC glue. Mount it to a wall and you’re good to go. 

Actually went and double checked before I headed out for work this morning (getting out the door late today), the cans are 2-1/2” so you’d want 3” PVC and and anything smaller for space filler on smaller cans. If cut to 6-1/4” lengths (1-1/2” shorter than typical cans with a cap) then even if the cap is removed and lost you can still reach your fingers in far enough to grab the rim of the can and pull it out. 

Thanks both!

2 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

Actually went and double checked before I headed out for work this morning (getting out the door late today), the cans are 2-1/2” so you’d want 3” PVC and and anything smaller for space filler on smaller cans. If cut to 6-1/4” lengths (1-1/2” shorter than typical cans with a cap) then even if the cap is removed and lost you can still reach your fingers in far enough to grab the rim of the can and pull it out. 

Thanks - and thanks for making yourself late too!  May have to investigate this idea - could always cut them at an angle too so they're not laid down...

1 hour ago, stato said:

Magnet strip?  given they will almost certainly be steel cans.

That's also a great idea (and less work).  I'll have to investigate.

Honestly I just have a couple vertical boxes on the shelf and put them in there horizontally.   If the cap isn't colored then spray paint the top of the cap the first time you use it.   I've got about 20+ cans.   The boxes are wide enough for around 3 cans per layer and a max of  around 4 cans high.  

You could spend more effort but not sure it's worth it.   

17 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

Honestly I just have a couple vertical boxes on the shelf and put them in there horizontally.   If the cap isn't colored then spray paint the top of the cap the first time you use it.   I've got about 20+ cans.   The boxes are wide enough for around 3 cans per layer and a max of  around 4 cans high.  

You could spend more effort but not sure it's worth it.   

My plan is to fix something onto the wall under my hobby desk, as shelf space is at a massive premium (already full with my mountains of shame).  I've also found in the past that some colours can go a bit funky if stored horizontally if they're low on paint (white comes to mind) - could have just been the can, but no point in risking it :D

Interesting I haven't had the experience.  My thought was horizontal storage might prevent drying.  I store my actual paint pots upside down in a tupperware and that seems to make them not dry out as quickly (I have some 28 year old paints!)   

For your goal a magnetic strip mounted on a minishelf might work well.    

Also could do a mini shelf with a lip - you just dont want to be hammering away on something at the work bench and have them all fall down.

For most climates storage of them is pretty simple - esp if you're actually using them. Heck in stores they just sit on regular shelving till sold so its not quite in the same league. Though this might vary - more tropical regions with high humidity might require better storage (eg sheltered, cooler) and very cold climates similar precautions against the extremes. 

Also if you want can storage try searching ebay or a local market auction. You might well find old shop shelving units that sell pretty cheaply  - heck you might even get lucky and find one for spraycans that you can pick up. 

Archived