Best way to build the baddies?

Zaniel

29 minutes ago, Zaniel said:

I've been sitting on Shadows Over Hammerhal for a while now and felt it was about time to build the models and get to playing it. 
I know there are a lot of weapon options for the enemies and was wondering if there is an ideal way to load them out? 

Sure, it just would be great to know, what kind of army you had in mind?

its a little bit hard to give you any advices, if the army you have in your sight is mostly unknown.

but I’ll just assume, that you play skaven, so go with hand weapons on the clanrats, warpfire projectors, rattling guns and/or shock gauntlets on your stormfiends.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

7 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Sure, it just would be great to know, what kind of army you had in mind?

its a little bit hard to give you any advices, if the army you have in your sight is mostly unknown.

but I’ll just assume, that you play skaven, so go with hand weapons on the clanrats, warpfire projectors, rattling guns and/or shock gauntlets on your stormfiends.

err.. I meant how to best build the enemies in a game of Warhammer Quest. There are multiples of weapon load outs and some of the events call for specific weapon choices. I just want to make sure I'll have the right options over a campaign.  

4 minutes ago, Zaniel said:

err.. I meant how to best build the enemies in a game of Warhammer Quest. There are multiples of weapon load outs and some of the events call for specific weapon choices. I just want to make sure I'll have the right options over a campaign.  

Oh Ähm, well I’m only a verminlord, so mistakes can happen???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to recommend this post, it has my initial recommendations for building he core bad guys for SoH:

Here’s the salient info:

“When assembling the models for Hammerhal, the models are "multi configuration" and it is possible to assemble models in such a way that you can't build all the options. 

Read the first page of the instruction guide. It tells you what all the symbols in the guide mean, and that is important as there are multiple options/variants in assembly.

You have three groups of models to build:

1. Putrid Blightkings

2. Blood Reavers

3. Kairic Acolytes

NOTE: you will end up with extra arms and bits..

Putrid Blightkings:

The instructions have 15 variations ... 3 possible choices for each of the 5 models.

You will need to make the following:

1 Blightlord (there are two versions listed from two different base models as "Blightlord" choose whichever you prefer)

1 Icon Bearer

1 Sonorous Tocsin

The remaining two Blightking models build them however you prefer, but I'd recommend at least one with a shield.

For the Bloodreavers follow the guide and make:

1 Chieftain

1 Icon Bearer,

1 Hornblower

1 Bloodreaver with Meatripper

1 Bloodreaver with Reaver Blades

You now have 5 models left to build, make them in any combination of Meatripper/Reaver Blades you prefer

For the Kairic Acolytes, again following the Guide make the following:

1 Adept

1 Acolyte with scroll of the dark arts

1 Acolyte with Vulcharic (he has the single Cursed blade)

1 Acolyte with Paired Cursed Blades

1 Acolyte with Glaive (and Shield) (edit: This is an odd configuration as they don’t normally get access to the shield, as the glaive was a 2-H Weapon in ST. I’d recommend configuring glaive Acolytes with the shield on their back ... but that is personal preference)

1 Acolyte with Cursed Blade and Shield

For the remaining 4 models left to build make any weapon combinations that look good to you.

This gives you the broadest number of adversary options available. This is key, because when you spawn adversaries you are directed to spawn adversaries with unique weapon loadouts before duplicating any weapon loadouts on the board.

So, while it doesn't technically matter your Assembly choices ... this combination of models will give you the largest number of options to put out on the table.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’m going to recommend this post, it has my initial recommendations for building he core bad guys for SoH:

Here’s the salient info:

“When assembling the models for Hammerhal, the models are "multi configuration" and it is possible to assemble models in such a way that you can't build all the options. 

Read the first page of the instruction guide. It tells you what all the symbols in the guide mean, and that is important as there are multiple options/variants in assembly.

You have three groups of models to build:

1. Putrid Blightkings

2. Blood Reavers

3. Kairic Acolytes

NOTE: you will end up with extra arms and bits..

Putrid Blightkings:

The instructions have 15 variations ... 3 possible choices for each of the 5 models.

You will need to make the following:

1 Blightlord (there are two versions listed from two different base models as "Blightlord" choose whichever you prefer)

1 Icon Bearer

1 Sonorous Tocsin

The remaining two Blightking models build them however you prefer, but I'd recommend at least one with a shield.

For the Bloodreavers follow the guide and make:

1 Chieftain

1 Icon Bearer,

1 Hornblower

1 Bloodreaver with Meatripper

1 Bloodreaver with Reaver Blades

You now have 5 models left to build, make them in any combination of Meatripper/Reaver Blades you prefer

For the Kairic Acolytes, again following the Guide make the following:

1 Adept

1 Acolyte with scroll of the dark arts

1 Acolyte with Vulcharic (he has the single Cursed blade)

1 Acolyte with Paired Cursed Blades

1 Acolyte with Glaive (and Shield) (edit: This is an odd configuration as they don’t normally get access to the shield, as the glaive was a 2-H Weapon in ST. I’d recommend configuring glaive Acolytes with the shield on their back ... but that is personal preference)

1 Acolyte with Cursed Blade and Shield

For the remaining 4 models left to build make any weapon combinations that look good to you.

This gives you the broadest number of adversary options available. This is key, because when you spawn adversaries you are directed to spawn adversaries with unique weapon loadouts before duplicating any weapon loadouts on the board.

So, while it doesn't technically matter your Assembly choices ... this combination of models will give you the largest number of options to put out on the table.”

Thanks for this!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

From a purely analytical point of view, there’s the boss as the final exam.
You are given tools to interact with the world created around you and the game itself is the journey to master those tools. The boss is the test of that mastery.
The Legend of Zelda series has always followed this philosophy to some degree. Every dungeon gives you a new item, like a hook shot, and finishing it and beating the boss is like a course in how to use that hook shot.

But there are so many ways to look at this question; sometimes a boss is great because of the visual and sound design alone. Sometimes it’s because it flips how you look at the entire game itself. Or maybe the concept of the boss itself is so weird and cool it stands out.

Bad boss design? For me, ones that focus too much on difficulty. But this is so subjective that it’s hard to pinpoint this exactly. I believe the Souls series went too far down this road as they entered the inevitable feedback loop with its fans.

Specific examples?
Hollow Knight, I enjoyed the fights with Hornet immensely, they were like duels with a mentor who was trying to teach you the ropes.
Inversely, I hated the Watcher Knight battle, which felt like a test of reflexes and endurance, a pure difficulty spike.