Help with picking a secondary army

Arkalid

Hi all of ya!

I started Daughters of Khaine a little while ago. I love the models and the army and I'm looking to start another army either after the DoK project is finished or as a secondary project.

I have a few criteria for the next project, but I don't really know enough about the AoS armies to know which one would fit my criteria.

So thing I definitely want are:

+ Army that has a different kind of play style from the Daughters of Khaine.

+ Cool models

+ Has Battletome

+ Somewhat inexpensive to collect

Things that I'd prefer but that are not absolutely necessary:

+ More variety in models than DoK (either in unit variety, posing options or with actually useful and fun allies).

+ Durable army

+ Room for fun(ny) conversions and kit-bashes

+ New models (8th edition Fantasy or AoS 1-2)

+ Not a mono-build army

+ Room for narrative style play as well as competitive play

Things I definitely don't want:

- Aelves

- Chaos and Undead (I still have 8th edition armies of those)

- Hordes (I already have Tyranids)

Too many restrictions ? just sce are as you want

Just a thought : choose an army with a commander that gives to a elite unit battleline, as deepkins eels or khorne cavalry

Just don't try destruction, no ally no cry, maybe if u wait some months new factions will give you new toys u want (cave troggoth battleline for new goblins faction) 

Stormcast seem your best bet. Cheap $ wise, elite, durable, not super aggro like DoK. You can even have a goal to build up a Shadowhammer Compact to play them together (though they ally just fine, too.)

Without Chaos of Death, I think that is your best bet. Sylvaneth and Kharadron Overlords would fit the other notches, but are NOT that cheap, either overall or due to needed Wildwoods.

Idoneth Deepkin might be ok, but if you focus on the eels, you'll just have an elite version of DoK. But Namarti heavy might be a way to have variety and still cover all your bases. Not...cheap, but hopefully they'll get a good battleforce this December

Well if you take Chaos and Undead out that's two Grand Alliances gone and Destruction is "mostly" hoard and where its not hoard it has no Battletome.

Order is mostly full of humans, Aelves and Sigmar and of those three only Sigmar has no Aleves and has a Battletome. So it looks like you've talked yourself into Sigmar! 

+ Army that has a different kind of play style from the Daughters of Khaine  - Stormcast are far more durable and tough than Daughters! 

+ Cool models - always up for debate but I'd say that they have some very cool models and some fantastic cavalry models

+ Has Battletome - check!

+ Somewhat inexpensive to collect - eh possibly not really but can be if you focus on the half-kits from starter sets. You can certainly build a good core up. 

+ More variety in models than DoK (either in unit variety, posing options or with actually useful and fun allies). - easily done in spades; loads of models and loads of conversion possibilities. Plus being a big popular army lots of media online for inspiration and ideas

+ Durable army - you can't get more durable than superhumans clad in god armour

+ Room for fun(ny) conversions and kit-bashes  - Yep!

+ New models (8th edition Fantasy or AoS 1-2) - the entire army is new! 

+ Not a mono-build army

Yeah I'd say SIGMAR and STORMCAST ETERNALS are for you based on this criteria 

8 hours ago, Arkalid said:

Hi all of ya!

I started Daughters of Khaine a little while ago. I love the models and the army and I'm looking to start another army either after the DoK project is finished or as a secondary project.

I have a few criteria for the next project, but I don't really know enough about the AoS armies to know which one would fit my criteria.

+ Cool models

+ Has Battletome

+ More variety in models than DoK (either in unit variety, posing options or with actually useful and fun allies).

+ Durable army

+ Not a mono-build army

- Aelves

If you can find the box from end of last year to start your army: Overlords + SC, and a warning that FAQs have punched the army in the competitive family jewels.

Ironjawz and Fyreslayers are other choices, but they have fewer options for units than DoK.

Sylvaneth, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Nighthaunt, Flesh Eaters, Idoneth, Pestilens, Legions, Everchosen and Beasts are all out because they are Chaos, Aelves, or Undead

Otherwise, you’ve pidgeonholed yourself into Stormcast.

Not so much vanilla. You can build forces made of different Chambers: you want cavalry - Vanguard, you want wizards - Sacrosanct. And you can convert your Stormcasts to the theme their Stormhost represents, e.g. for Anvils of the Heldenhammer you can use skulls and for Hallowed Knights you can add some holy relics and scriptures. 

As many people have said, Stormcast fit your criteria perfectly. But for the sake of variety (lots of stormcast out there!), might I suggest Ironjawz. 

They fit the bill too, though they are melee-only so that may count as a monobuild(?). Also they are fun to play and the new sculpts are all amazing! Dropping two Mawkrushas on the table is always good for a laugh! ?

Thank you everybody for your answers! I've decided to build a Sacrosanct Chamber of my own colour theme with as few helmets as possible, dark steel, oxidized bronze, and red colouring with white contrasting. I considered Ironjawz, but I'd be painting the same four units all over again, which is not what I'm looking for at the moment. I've heard that Destruction is currently lackluster on almost every aspect anyways, so Stormcast it is.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, michu said:

Sylvaneth (but you have to buy multiple Sylvaneth Woods, so that army is not that cheap)

Or you can make your own wyldwoods from thin 3mm foamboard and those miniature trees found everywhere around christmas. And that’s cheap.

Edit: I too chose Sylvaneth because they have a significantly different playstyle than my previous army (pre-battletome Nighthaunt). Sylvaneth are durable, mobile and have great board controll. It’s relatively easy for them to decide where the battle will be fought. 

On 9/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, Arkalid said:

Hi all of ya!

+ Cool models

+ Has Battletome

+ Durable army

+ Not a mono-build army

- Aelves

There’s no question:

play skaven.

with them you can do anything.

You don’t like to play hordes, no problem with skaven you can do that too.

You like big models which can pack a punch, yeah there is a reason we have Stormfiends, Rat Ogors, Hellpit abomination, Verminlords, and most cunning of them all Thanquol.

you’re a big friend of spamming mortal wounds with your army.

then start your skaven army today.

we might not have a battletome (with the exeption of Pestilence (traitor-things don’t count) and any great allegiances (exeption skyre and Pestilence (but only a mixed skaven army is the real deal)) 

but we have warpstone.

we are the best (lorewise, and Fun to play (and sometimes even competitive)) Army which exist in the aos universe.

there’s only one answer, “Skaven”

we know you want them.

we know you want to beat up your foe-things with stormfiends, and grill them with boiling hot warpfire.

so start today by buying your mixed skaven army and kill slay for Skreech,

take-steal City burrows,  

Yes-yes 

fool-things shall perish-die.

Gnash gnaw on fish-things bones,

kill-kill storm-things.

all poster-things shall Die-die

ps: by the way, to do conversion work on a skaven army can be very, very interesting and easy to do

so like I have probably already said it 1313 times, start your skaven army today.

From your criteria I think it's Stormacst in one of their many different guises.  To be fair people seem to either love or hate the Sigmarines and as they are pushed by GW it's reasonably easy to get hold of half starter sets from people who bought the box but didn't want the Stormcast so that can make things a little cheaper by giving up choice somewhat.

As I die hard Orc player I don't think that Ironjawz are too far away from your criteria but they probably fail in comparison to the sheer choice of the Sigmarites.

Archived