Sylvaneth Wyldwoods and Fly

Kirjava13

Question

The Sylvaneth Wyldwood warscroll announces the following: 

Roll a dice for each model that makes a run or charge move across, or finishing on, a Sylvaneth Wyldwood.

Emphasis mine.

In the Age of Sigmar Core Rules Movement Phase section, the following is genteelly stated:

If the warscroll for a model says that the model can fly, it can pass across models and terrain features as if they were not there when it makes any type of move.

Which rule takes precedence here? On the one hand, flyers moving across a Wyldwood are, regardless of position, technically moving across the terrain feature. On the other, they behave as if the terrain piece was not there. On the one hand, warscrolls take precedence over core rules. On the other, the core rules are more recent. 

As a non-Sylvaneth player, you can probably guess which side I come down on, but I'd sure appreciate some other input!

3 answers to this question

I'd say that flying rule takes the precedence here. The warscroll rules triumph over core rules only applies when there is contradiction between the rules on warscroll and core rules. For example, if sylvaneth wyldwood said something like: "...this also affects units flying across the woods..." then there is clear contradiction between normal core rules and warscroll rules, in which case warscroll wins.

5 hours ago, angrycontra said:

I'd say that flying rule takes the precedence here. The warscroll rules triumph over core rules only applies when there is contradiction between the rules on warscroll and core rules. For example, if sylvaneth wyldwood said something like: "...this also affects units flying across the woods..." then there is clear contradiction between normal core rules and warscroll rules, in which case warscroll wins.

Totally agreeing on this one. There simply is no contradiction. The Flying rule nullifies the Wyldwood rule, but the Wyldwood rule does not nullify the Flying rule - just as @angrycontra stated. 

Keep in mind, though, that there is a part of the Wlydwood rule not being affected by Flying - you missed this part in your question, so here is the full rule:

"Wyldwood: Roll a dice for each model that makes a run or charge move across, or finishing on, a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. On a roll of 1, the model is slain. Do not roll for models that have the Sylvaneth, Monster, or Hero keywords." (Sylvaneth Wyldwood Warscroll)

The "finishing on" -part is not nullified by flying models. So, flying models can still die if they finished a charge or run movement on a Wyldwood.

Archived