Endless spells: your thoughts?

3 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Thanks for all the responses, lots of food for thought.

Reveal hidden contents

Very curious about Purple sun as good, always look to be as over-costed  and not very effective.  How have you used it to good effect?

The threat of instant death (or 2d6 mortal wounds) to a huge blob of models and its huge base make it an exceptional area denial tool. Slow armies like LON can drop it on an objective and fight over the others. 

Purple Sun can't just be slamjammed into every list because it casts on an 8, which is not reliable at all. However some armies like Legion of Sacrament, Nighthaunt, and Seraphon have access to some significant casting bonuses that can make it a lot easier to get the Purple Sun into play. 

My favourite part of using the Purple Sun is that you need a 9 to dispel it, and there is no way to gain bonuses on that dispel. People will throw away multiple casts trying to dispel the purple sun only to have you recast it the next turn, or they wont bother at all and you keep your floating purple death orb.

Certainly situational, but I have been enjoying them with my moonclan lists. Their +2 to cast makes the spells go off pretty reliably. Also expands the spell options for armies without their own lore. I have had some decent damage output from swords, pendulum and ravenaks. 

Swords are cheap and can chip away at stuff, with high luck potential.

Pendulum has some ability to prevent it coming back at you and some okay damage. Also as mentioned can restrict movement.

Ravenaks has a very large base and can do some blocking and chip away at stuff. Not sure if worth 40pts or not though. Only used in one game and it was quite effective, but haven't tested enough to be certain on it. I like the model, painted it green to go with the grots.

Next up I plan to paint palisades and then geminids, they seem fun. The geminid debuffs look like they should be solid.

On a whole, I really like what they add to the game. I'm not a competitive player though, so I can't say much on that front.

Archived