From the Frozen Wastes

Lucio

Had a thought for what might make a good theme for Armies on Parade this year and wanted to get some input from other Destruction players.

My idea was to combine Icebone Clan Savage Orruks with the upcoming Beastclaw expansion to form a combined force of fur wrapped, ice themed monster hunters / trappers.

Fluff wise, I'm thinking that for the most part, the Savage Orruks are too few in number to build a decent sized Waaaggh, so a canny Ice Hunter was able to lure them into helping strengthen his warband.

Board-wise, I was thinking building a small log fort out of sharpened dowel rods, carved to give a rougher texture, and have some kind of snow buried statue if I can find the right part.

So what are people's thoughts? Is it a viable idea? Does it work as an army too, if so what units would you include? Would you give the models a blue skin tone, or use normal flesh shades with snow coloured "warpaint"? Has anyone seen any decent wolf skin wrapped Orruk models (last part obviously not for armies on parade)

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:20 AM, Dez said:

I really like this idea...but how are you going to keep the Savage Orcs from attacking the Stonehorn...or the multiple other beasts?

You clobber 'em in da 'ead until dey lissen up real smart.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:20 AM, Dez said:

I really like this idea...but how are you going to keep the Savage Orcs from attacking the Stonehorn...or the multiple other beasts?

Yeh this is my one issue with the idea tbh. I've heard a few people say they feel the Bonesplitterz are missing a monster in their Battletome, but from my (albeit limited) understanding of the fluff, it just doesn't make sense. They are all about slaying the beasts to harness that Waaagh! energy, right?

You could almost certainly justify it though, perhaps the Frostlord has told the Bonesplitterz tales of a titanic behemoth they are tracking and if they help out (which includes not killing their mounts!), they can claim a portion of the mighty prize...or something!

Fluff aside, I think aesthetically the army and overall project would look awesome. I'm a real fan of snowy themed armies and the cold blue pallet would look great on these models. If you're not comfortable greenstuffing some furs on the Savages, you could look into the older metal sculpts, which are draped in furs, Flintstones style! Worth a look.

Be sure to share your progress here.

I think a display board showing the Ogors and the Orruks at war would look much more cinematic, and when they fight on the table together you can explain it is because the Orruks see a Bigger Monster to kill (your enemies) and the Ogors are just trying to clear a path forward to escape the Everfrost always on their heels.

In terms of the fluff, I'm thinking that it's a symbiotic relationship, the Ogors have a few tamed monsters and their might have helped the Bonesplitta's bring down larger, mightier beasts. The Bonesplittas keep the Ogors strong by killing off the weaker beasts, and by attracting tough challengers.

Greenstuffing fur itself is fine, but I'd really want heads and claws

Archived