Khorne vs Stormcasts

EvilWantCookie

Hello there!

I am new at AoS. I started with Khorne army. My friends (some of them know Warhammer from FB, other are new here just like me) organized small league - to know better the rules and have some fun. 

To be honest, most of them got Stormcasts. We set that first battles gonna be played on armies on 750 points on first scenario - First Blood.

For now I have those units:

- Blood warriors x15

- Bloodreavers x10

- Mighty Lord of Khorne

- Bloodsecrator

- Bloodstoker

- Slaughterpriest x2

- Garrek's Reavers

- Khorgoraths

- Mighty Skullcrushers x3

- Skarbrand

Can anyone help me with set up army for 750 points? And my second question - how to fight vs Stormcasts with ranged units? Any ideas? Any advices?

-MLoK

-Slaughterpriest

-Bloodstoker

-Blood Warrios (15)

-Bloodreavers (10)

That's 670 points. I would avoid the Bloodsecrator for now. You'll need the mobility of the MLoK and Bloodstoker. Keep your Hero's near the Blood Warriors for the -1 to hit. Use the extra command ability (-50) to throw out an Inspiring presence to mitigate battleshock losses. Slaughterpriest and Bloodstoker can run to keep up, they dont need to be charging, just keep them close to your guys. 

3 hours ago, EvilWantCookie said:

And who should be General? Any artifacts I should get?

I would try the MLoK as your General first off. Give him the Violent Urgency Command Trait and the Talisman of Burning Blood for redundancy with the Bloodstoker. 

Between the 'stoker, MLoK's command ability, the Talisman and Urgency, you will have a mad fast Khorne Deathstar to get you across the board. Have your 'reavers lead the charge to screen the rest of your units.

Give your Slaughterpriest Killing Frenzy and Pray for your Blood Warriors as well as whip them. Do not forget that your Slaughterpriest can pull enemy units towards you! Excellent to disrupt your opponent. 

If your Hero's still get focussed, it might be worth trying Resanguination to keep them alive. 

Going forward with your model collection, I would definitely recommend picking up some more Warriors and/or 'reavers, as well as Skullreapers. You're fairly top-heavy with your Hero's, so growing out the "Army" part of your army is essential. 

Until then, the general philosophy for 500-1000 point games is to focus on doing one thing and doing it well. The critical unit in the list above is the Blood Warriors. They are a keystone for your defensive and offensive abilities in that they help keep your Hero units alive and then receive the majority of the buffs. 

Bloodreavers could excel in smaller games as a surprise unit if your opponent spends too much time aiming at the more armored Blood Warriors, but you really need the right tools to make them shine (Warshrine, Wrathmongers, Asp. Deathbringer). 

And you know? Don't be afraid to have a little fun with Skarbrand

• MLoK
  • Skarbrand
  • Blood Warriors (5)
  • Bloodreavers

740/750

On 9/13/2018 at 9:08 PM, Roark said:

Maybe I sound dogmatic, but I still think the Secrator is the absolute and necessary core of any Khorne army with Mortals in it.

This is true if he was building a general list at 1000 points. But he is specifically fighting Shooting stormcast. 

If he had more Bloodreavers then I would say absolutely as they have the most to benefit from him. But he only has 10 and I doubt all 10 will reach the Stormcast gunline. In fact he should plan for that, because for every 'reaver shot, that's one less Blood Warrior or Hero targeted. So the next benefit is ignoring Battleshock which he can do with Inspiring Presence on the Warriors with the extra command point (and once he's charged, he can keep using Inspiring Presence).

He also cannot afford to leave a large unit around the Bloodsecrator to give it the -1 to hit from focussed shooting and risks outrunning the bubble as well. 

Yes, the Bloodsecrator is normally an auto-include, but at this point level and against this specific enemy, I see him as being a burden that fractures the force too much.

@EvilWantCookie Daemons are a great thing to start building. Bloodletters are awesome.

Replacing the 'reavers with 'letters would be a great improvement since their High Bravery makes a unit of 10 far less likely to succumb to Battleshock (and with the Icon you want them to take Battleshock to potentially replenish ranks). 

On 9/13/2018 at 1:08 PM, Aspirant Snaeper said:

One squad or your Hero's will be sniped off the board 

Why? I genuinely ask. Why one 15man unit can screen a Hero while three 5man units can't. Isn't LoS "true" LoS?

I would had said that one 15man unit is better than three 5man ones for the access to the special weapon and the bonus on battleshock (until they drop below 10 warriors), while sacrificing a bit of mobility and versatility.

I don't know what he means by 3 squads of 5 being bad.

Personally I'd do 5 and 10 so you get at least one goreglaive. Those things are brutal.

But with the models you've got I'd say the above suggestions are pretty solid.

Blood reavers without a secrator are pretty bad, but it probably isn't worth taking a secrator without more reavers

18 hours ago, gabbi said:

Why? I genuinely ask. Why one 15man unit can screen a Hero while three 5man units can't. Isn't LoS "true" LoS?

I would had said that one 15man unit is better than three 5man ones for the access to the special weapon and the bonus on battleshock (until they drop below 10 warriors), while sacrificing a bit of mobility and versatility.

"Look out, Sir!" only works when your Hero's are near a unit of 10 or more. 

That means all the Shooting Stormcast need to do is kill a single Blood Warrior and the Hero's become that much more easy to remove. A unit of 15 means they have to inflict 10 wounds on the well-armored Warriors in order to remove the -1. 

Having 10 Bloodreavers could help if his opponent focuses on the Warriors, but the 'reavers are paper thin.

12 hours ago, Retro said:

I don't know what he means by 3 squads of 5 being bad.

Personally I'd do 5 and 10 so you get at least one goreglaive. Those things are brutal.

But with the models you've got I'd say the above suggestions are pretty solid.

Blood reavers without a secrator are pretty bad, but it probably isn't worth taking a secrator without more reavers

Yeah of he had 20 'reavers then the Bloodsecrator could make sense. Or if he knew he was going to play against a lot of hit-you-in-the-face types. Since he can just plant the banner, bubble wrap the Bloodsecrator with a 'reaver blob and wait for his opponent to get close. But at 750 points against a shooting heavy opponent, I think there just isnt enough units on his side of the board to justify 140 points sitting down and making a big bubble. 

If anything I'd say get a Warshrine for 20 (160!) points more. Then you get a mobile totem, prayers, multiple combat profiles and wounds and a 6+ FNP. 

1 hour ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

"Look out, Sir!" only works when your Hero's are near a unit of 10 or more. 

That means all the Shooting Stormcast need to do is kill a single Blood Warrior and the Hero's become that much more easy to remove. A unit of 15 means they have to inflict 10 wounds on the well-armored Warriors in order to remove the -1. 

I see. Thanks!

Archived