• Mixed Order
    • Mixed Chaos
    • Mixed Destruction
    • Mixed Death
    • Spiderfang Grots

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undead was always my first love. Shortly after it split into Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts, I had a brief stint with the former before going whole hog on the latter. Played them heavily throughout 6th, 7th, and 8th edition. Was actually pretty upset with how it was split into 8 separate micro armies at the start of AoS. I actually put them in storage and came very close to selling them playing Stormcast and Tzeentch in the meantime.

Legions of Nagash reinvigorated me, and my collection has been back on the front burner since.

Sorry to say it, but in every bit of statistical or anecdotal evidence I see, the Fyreslayers seem to have been an absolute failure by the standards of a truly "new" faction.

Even their AoS2 thread on this forum is only on page 5, and they have only 31 submissions in their painting gallery.

It's not like GW can only blame their small range or variable levels of competitiveness, because, well, Ironjawz.

22 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Sorry to say it, but in every bit of evidence I see, the Fyreslayers seem to have been an absolute failure by the standards of a truly "new" faction.

Even their AoS2 thread on this forum is only on page 5.

It's not like GW can only blame their small range or variable levels of competitiveness, because, well, Ironjawz.

My condolences as a fellow early-battletome failure army player

37 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

My condolences as a fellow early-battletome failure army player

Actually, I am a fellow BCR too, not Fyreslayers. I just always notice Fyreslayers as doing badly.

Anyway, I don't really see the BCR as under-performing sales-wise compared to, say, Pestilens or FEC, and a "book faction" (i.e. without new miniatures) is unlikely to have been a big commitment for GW in terms of resources.

Also, assuming you are refering to your BCR, wasn't Beastclaw post-Sylvaneth, and thus, technically, part of the modern era of battletomes? IIRC we have the (terrible) allegiance abilities in the book, rather than in the GHB.

12 hours ago, Kronos said:

Im rather suprised by he results so far.

To be honest they surprise me a little and yet not.

I fully expected to see armies with Battletomes prove to be far more popular than those without and for those with clearly newer generations of Battletomes to be a little more popular than those with very early ones. Either way if an army has a battletome it not only has a more complete army roster of its own and can function as an army; but it also has essentially got a seal of "this will remain" from GW. At present the fringe and minor groups are unknown as to if they will remain and even if they do how they will continue to remain part of the game. 

I'm a little surprised to see almost not a single vote though for many, even some like Darkling Covens which have a slightly bigger roster; however since the poll only allowed one faction I'm guessing that many are ticking for their primary faction and that alliance and smaller projects are being left off the poll - which is where I think we'd clean up a lot more support for some of the fringe groups.

The great thing is to see that pretty much everything, including those with old rules, are proving popular. So as long as GW sees this same pattern we can expect to see more retention of minor factions/models and more updated consolidated Battletomes. 

@Overread I guess your right, new battletomes, and also shiny new armies are quite the incentive for most. (I don’t mean that negativeley, Only an obvious observation). Im just suprised its not spread out more, or more that collectively the newer armies, deepkin etc included, completely outweigh the people collecting older ones like beasts, wanderers or even mixed Chaos. I’m also suprised Sylvaneth aren’t more popular considering they’re an older line with many new kits. 

How does GW even begin to use data like this? Does it give them incentive to invest in other armies like Slaanesh or free peoples and other lesser seen flavours of AoS or does it make them want to create more Stormcast and Nighthaunt and saturate their system with the same old faces?

Don't forget GW has WAY more data than this poll. The number of active people on this forum who are voting probably only amounts to a couple of clubs in terms of the number of people. GW has all the sales data including all the second, third, fourth armies people have as well as regional breakdowns. It wouldn't shock me if some armies are more popular in some areas more than others. 

I think GW is aware that a battletome and official rules in one makes a big difference  to the uptake of an army; whilst those who have generals handbook releases only are just ticking over. I'm sure if they could they'd love to throw all the stuf at us right now; but the way things are setup I think we've got a year or so before we can expect to see most armies battletomed up. 

Seraphon is my main army. I've had them since AoS dropped (or soon after). I tried Fyreslayers and Tomb Kings and had both fully painted but I lost interest in the lore and sold them. ?

The Seraphon persisted because dinosaurs are awesome! ?

Now I'm painting up some Free People's. Gotta love an army of Regular Joe's (and Jane's)! ?

So, I will choose Legion of Blood, since it is my current project and I have been playing it pretty exclusively over the past few months. Free People/Mixed Order before that.

But...well, I've got that new army itch, and it doesn't help that while I love parts of both of my armies, they aren't as...fufilling as I had hoped. They aren't perfect, either in models, playstyle, etc. I am on the search for something to fill that void, but also struggling to keep my vow to paint what I have first. lol 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:47 AM, Planar said:

-7 model range (one of which is an old and rather ugly cast)

-Outdated battletome

-Non competitiveness 

and yet  Ironjawz are still the third most popular army after the two armies of the new starter set. No wonder why Orcz iz da best!

Iron jaws are actually very strong an army. They’re better than even most battletome armies. They’re just not quite in the very top. They tend to be a bit too reliant on the heavy alpha strike with multiple abilities. Once their first hit is done, they lose some steam

Archived