A slowplayers confession - advice needed

Sigwarus

3 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

This is why I am an advocate for the game length to be increased to 3 hours. It means that the games can be played at a more thoughtful and interactive pace. 

I think most events would love longer games, the issue is when you've got to pack multiple players into multiple games and organise who plays who and move people around between matches. You probably do get the 3 hours if you include the time between each match in moving people around; setting up boards and moving models as well as all the other bits that come with starting up the games. 

Sorry to Clarify 3hours game time and 20 mins between rounds. 

It would mean that you are there for ~11hours with an hour lunch and I think that is OK. (compared to the ~9.5hours but games not getting to completion) Not sure this would be for everyone and it would really depend on the venue but could be something to look at. 

A lot of the time just adding time to a round does nothing to help those games finish, I TOd a lot offantasy events back in the day and some Aos during V1 and extending the game time just seemed to give people the impression that they had more time to chat.....which is not what the extra time was for. 

Reducing the points size basically did the same thing of people thinking they had time to chat instead of play the game. 

I find having a bonus point for getting your rounds results submitted on time sometimes encourages people to get things done in a timely fashion. 

I do sometimes just say 'hey that horde of mine that's over your side of the table can you move it 5 inches closer to your nearest unit' If they are X (ask them to measure) inches away now they should be Y after you move them saves some time.   Working cooperatively helps.

Lots of habits like  'lets decide before I roll (or even move) what the final charge range will be' skips some of the hmming and hawing at the table.

Lots of AoS games particularly in a straight WLD system might be over in very short time.   Over the years at my event we've had results submitted after 20-30 minutes several times.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, gjnoronh said:

Lots of AoS games particularly in a straight WLD system might be over in very short time.   Over the years at my event we've had results submitted after 20-30 minutes several times.   

i dont think this is something to aim for either

On 9/25/2018 at 12:03 PM, Donal said:

i dont think this is something to aim for either

Agree 100% 

For tournament AoS I prefer graded victories and bonus points to give players something to play for after the outcome of the game is determined.  That's the way most of my large events in the AoS era have been run  but every year there are some games where it's over way too soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank you all who contributed to this thread. I asked for advice and was given more than I could have hoped for. As a result I created a cheat sheet before attending my annual tournament. The result good. I managed to finish all my games in time and even finished one hour earlier in three of five games. 

Archived