Black coach experiences?

CanHammer-darren

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

I made the mistake of being so caught up in painting and building my model, that when I get it into play my opponent (who really plays the movement game to the max) mostly denies me to actually touch anything with the base, as the model itself sticks out far too much in front. Only other option is to fly it backwards, but it still sticks out a bit there, so can't ever do a frontal charge into anything.

It is at a point now, where everyone are so aware of this, they can deny it doing jsut about anything due to the model, but I don't want to disassemble it either, as it is not an easy model to put together and balance, but at the same time I can hardly play with it.

your opponent is really a douch!

well with terrain on either side of a unit of stormcast, I could only really make a frontal charge, but a tiny fence made me unable to turn it properly, and the horses made me unable to get it anywhere near base to base, without actually moving his models to the side or something. 

It is very frustrating but he is in his right to say so, as it does cause problems with coherency and pile in moves etc. so unfortunately the actual model really does not have any business on a gaming table, which after investing so much in this model is a real shame.

The model is rather rigid, with all the ghostly stuff the cart and horse is mounted on, interlocking with each other. 

That means it requires some work to twist these elements, probably greenstuff as well, jsut to make sure it does not all fall apart.

The wooden beam is your next problem, even for a normal build this is annoying to fit. Remember it is a long straight piece, so it does not work with the bend you show there (everything is too large to actually fit like that, even if you could bend it that much). 

Of course it can be converted, but I doubt it is anything easily doable within a few hours and fair amount of tools.

19 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Of course it can be converted, but I doubt it is anything easily doable within a few hours and fair amount of tools.

I have seen a „lift-off“ Version somewhere on the internet...

you could angle it up 30` held aloft by something. Either some ready to go kharadron balloon guy stick or if your crafty some smoke out of green stuff with No5 wire

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

I haven't purchased one yet but i was wondering if the model could be built so that it sits more like this?

Might be able to condense it more...

Screenshot_20181011-073056_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg

Uploaded an image of my black coach to show how huge it really is, even for one of the largest bases in the game it nearly takes twice the space if it was to fit.

As you can see it is very difficult to do anything but charge corner of units, and piling in around it and such causes a issues. This can be easily used in competitive play to entirely deny it access with clever terrain usage.

bcoach.jpg

1 hour ago, N.I.B. said:

Awesome model, the rules looks a bit lackluster though. Why do you field it, except for 'cool model'? What's its purpose in your army, not better served by investing 280pts into something else? 

It is a sum of its parts really. On paper only looking at the attacks, it is basically a cairn wraith, 4 chainrasps (the 8 horse attacks) and 1,5 spirits hosts (9 attacks at full profile). 

This all looks rather underwhelming with the 280 point cost at first glance, but it becomes increasingly dangerous during the game.

At max power it provides the following:

Can regen 1d3 summonable models each hero phase. Models being important here, so it can bring back 1d3 entire spirirt hosts or hexwraiths, so you really want to maximize according to that. It also regens 1d3 wounds on itself, making it a rather tanky behemoth and way more durable than the mourngul.

Reroll 1's to hit actually ups the offensive power quite a bit, especially for all the attacks able to deal mortal wounds. At higher power it can even run and charge and retreat and charge, while also dealing 1d3 mortal wounds on the charge, making it extremely mobile and just about impossible to lock down in a bad situation.

Finally it willalso be able to throw around additional mortal wounds to units close to it, which on top of mortal wounds on the charge (which it can then do every turn) and mortal wounds from wraith and spirits, it can really mess up units.

Having all attacks from 1 big model also really plays well with the wave of terror rule, as you don't get to pile in before attacking normally, you will get all your attacks through.

Despite my ussies with the actual model as discussed, when I can get it into combat properly it usually outperforms the expectations you might have from the warsroll, just don't use it as a behemoth duelist to take on mawkrushas and zombiedragons head to head, this models needs to be going around messing up things a lot more.

I've proxied it a bit using a mortis engine, and it's a cool unit, if not super strong for its points.  Still pretty decent, and I like it in the formation with hexwraiths.

As for the model/base issues, my plan if I ever get it is to mount it on the larger knight titan oval base, same as I did for my mortis engine, which has the same problem with being way too big for its base and hanging way out over it in multiple directions.  In both cases, the knight titan base is a dramatically better fit.  You may run into issues if you're a regular tournament players at venues that are sticklers for the official base sizes, though.

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

Having all attacks from 1 big model also really plays well with the wave of terror rule, as you don't get to pile in before attacking normally, you will get all your attacks through.

You can pile in.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, Scurvydog said:

well with terrain on either side of a unit of stormcast, I could only really make a frontal charge, but a tiny fence made me unable to turn it properly, and the horses made me unable to get it anywhere near base to base, without actually moving his models to the side or something. 

It is very frustrating but he is in his right to say so, as it does cause problems with coherency and pile in moves etc. so unfortunately the actual model really does not have any business on a gaming table, which after investing so much in this model is a real shame.

Kinda sounds you got outplayed so that he can pull the rule nerd on you? However I would still allow you to charge frontally, grown ups should be able to pile a few model around the horsies ? 

in a game last week the player just piled in ass forward with the coach - still was a tight fit ? 

I love the model but I have had quite a few games where it just does not do that much.  The huge base is definitely a factor. In a game last week verses Sylvaneth my Black Coach got so pinned in by Wild Woods that I literally had no place to move it and set down its ginormous base.  Again I love the model but I leave it on the shelf most competitive games, which is sad.

Archived