Should 'Tournament Play' Have Its Own Forum?

Mr. White

Been a lot of good Tournament talk around here lately. I wonder though, should this be in its own 'type of play' area like Match/Open Play is?

There are plenty of other AoS topics to keep this 'general' area lively, but I guess I'm hesitant to feature all the Tournament talk in this main/general area as it can give the impression that Tournament is the 'main' way to play AoS.

Just an idea...

I'd give it a week and see if its still around - its all the rage because there was just a tournament and in a week or two it might well all die down to very little. Mostly its about how they are organised and what we'd like in a tournament but its mostly all wishlisting as I don't think we've had any actual major organisers weigh into the discussions - so the natural order of such things is that they will probably quieten down.

I think the best counter to it isn't to push it into its own section but instead drive up discussion on other kinds of play - there's already a thread trying to work out what narrative play is (and the general feeling is that its not any one thing but is a catch all term for everything from fully house ruled through to a matched play tournament with a story attached) 

Tournament play seems to be across the internet the most commonly discussed facet of the game, so I think it is a strong representative of General Discussion.  I think if you take tournament talk out of general discussion that general discussion really loses a lot of its meaning.  In my opinion.

I would argue that at least on the internet, that tournament talk is the main way to at least discuss AoS if not to play it in general.  In comparison, the narrative and open play forums on other forums I look at are usually pretty dead.  Thats where I base my opinion on.

Like it or not, Matched Play is the "default" way that most people play AoS. That's not to say that they play it competitively neccessarily, but it's the rules system that they use. People who play Narrative play often use components of matched play such as points, too.

There is, and always has been in many games, an undercurrent of people looking down on tournament players as "win at all costs", "unsportsmanlike", "not the type of people i like to play with" etc which couldn't be further from the truth as 99% of event attendees will tell you. I think topics like this (whether intentionally or unintentionally) serve to perpetuate that unhealthy narrative and frankly I think that we could do without them.

27 minutes ago, ianob said:

There is, and always has been in many games, an undercurrent of people looking down on tournament players as "win at all costs", "unsportsmanlike", "not the type of people i like to play with" etc which couldn't be further from the truth as 99% of event attendees will tell you. I think topics like this (whether intentionally or unintentionally) serve to perpetuate that unhealthy narrative and frankly I think that we could do without them.

Wait....what?

I'm not sure how my post was looking down on Tournament players. I simply noticed the fact that 2 of the 3 ways to play have their own forum, so it seems like hosting all the Tournament talk in the main forum is an unspoken recognition that it's the main way to play the game. I have no doubt a Tournament forum would see more traffic than Open/Narrative, and I could care less. I was simply looking at the nature of discussion and how it's separated out here.

No dig on Tournament talk. In the past, I've also lobbied for Skirmish to have it's own forum as well.

Afternoon,

I do not think this is necessary at this moment in time, there's plenty of space here for all kinds of "general discussion" - there just so happens to be a few hot topics that relate to Tournaments right now.

Thanks for the suggestion though and I will put it forwards for consideration in the future.

I'm now going to close this thread as a precautionary measure :P

Archived