Myrmourn Banshees

Bohemond

On 9/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Bohemond said:

I am not sure where to place this unit, and I am mainly thinking about their use in LoN. Anyone had any luck with these? 

Few people have because supply has been so low on them until recently. I think they are potentially incredibly powerful. They hit like a truck when buffed and provide a really nasty unbind option for 210pts.  Also having the free attempt to obliterate an endless spell without wasting one of our precious casting attempts is also pretty amazing.

My only concern is that 4+ to hit coming back to bite you, but say a situation where they unbind a spell, then dispel an endless spell (right before being healed back up to full size) gives you 3 attacks per model. That is ~12 wounds at -2 rend and D3 damage (~20 damage or so to most target) if they have no other buffs. Pretty good for 210pts, esp if you consider they also stopped two spells along the way. 

Personally, I have 4 of them, but havent played with them yet. I got lucky and found a box in a tiny shop in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I have yet to ever see a box in any of my local hobby stores or GWs in Toronto. They also only recently popped back in stock on the GW webstore. 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Bohemond said:

I am not sure where to place this unit, and I am mainly thinking about their use in LoN. Anyone had any luck with these? 

When they first came out I was fully on board the Myrmourn Hype Train for use as an ally in LoN. After the FAQ though, I think that they are just not a good competitive choice. They are definitely a fine unit that has good uses and totally adequate for casual play, of course.

The problem is that they are very, very defensively inefficient and have a small overall unit size. It's incredibly easy to fully wipe out a banshee unit in one turn. If you could bring it back with Endless Legions then that would largely solve the fragility problem, but the FAQ clearly stated that you can't do this. So while you can restore models with Deathly Invocation, if the enemy busts the unit in one go then you're out of luck. 

18 hours ago, ianob said:

The FAQ and sharp dropoff in endless spell usage as people have realised how good they aren't probably kills them.

I think lots of people still rock endless spells. You just won't be seeing them on top tables. (other than a few specific ones like Cogs or Chains) But they are super cool and if your goal is to create a fun, casual army, they still are a great addition to a force. 

Archived