Overview of the tournament scene

Enoby

29 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm more interested in things like what % of all tournament players choose a certain faction.  I'd be even more interested if there was a way to weight it based on how many tournament games each of these players has under their belt (but I realize this data is not available).

I also find the % faction/meta to be the more interesting aspect of these metrics.  At a minimum, they can be useful for picking factions if you want to avoid being just another <<insert faction>> player.  I don't know if much more can be inferred from them since army selection has too many variables to draw any conclusions about competitive worth.  Still, I do love the data because it makes for fun discussions and debates.  Thanks to the folks that have been gathering and crunching the numbers.

On a personal note, I decided to print a copy of faction breakdown and am going to highlight the factions I am interested in playing.  Curious to see if I can discern anything about myself and my current hobby goals.  May also help with some future plans.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Win % is fun to look at but maybe isn't a super useful tool in the end, without a muuuuuuuuch larger sample size.  The confounding factor of an outlier choosing to play a dumb army and win with it (hi @Chris Tomlin ) is too big of a swing in the results at this scale.

I'm more interested in things like what % of all tournament players choose a certain faction.  I'd be even more interested if there was a way to weight it based on how many tournament games each of these players has under their belt (but I realize this data is not available).

Totally agree to an extent. The Chris tomlin graph was just a bit of a tongue in cheek. However looking at a faction like DoK or LoN that consistently post solid results over multiple events over different continents it’s safer to say that those armies are ‘good’

• 2 weeks later...

Some new data for you all! Big thanks to everyone helping to make this possible and to all the TO's out there for running all these great events!

unknown.png?width=400&height=202

unknown.png?width=367&height=301

unknown.png?width=325&height=301

unknown.png?width=400&height=252

More data and extra charts and graphs can be found at The Honest Wargamers facebook page where it will now be updated weekly. Also great news on for everyone interested in discussing this kind of stuff, The Honest Wargamer will be doing a dedicated live show on twitch every Monday discussing new results as they come in and all the data that pertains to it!

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Thanks again @LLV!

Are BoC not all that great, or have people just not gotten used to them? I've not had any chance to test them so I'm totally in the dark about why they don't seem to be doing so well.

Its a brand new army - people are still experimenting and painting right now is my guess. They've got great tools but its going to take time to reduct that down into the most optimal set ups. Same thing has kind of happened with SCE where they weren't doing so amazingly early in the edition but now they're starting to show up in top 10s consistently. Also having looked at the BoC lists for BnG for example (of the ones that were published) I personally didn't see any that fit what I think is the best mold for the army. 

Expanded Overall Stat table and some extra's for you all to dissect discuss and distribute....:)

Big thanks to BCP https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/ for providing data for Blood and Glory and SoCal Open among other events. For TO's reading this you should really consider using aTO app like BCP to run your events rather than fiddling with manual spreadsheets - plus makes my life WAY easier, lol!

Enjoy

unknown.png?width=357&height=300

unknown.png?width=400&height=226

unknown.png?width=259&height=300

unknown.png?width=318&height=301

2 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

Same thing has kind of happened with SCE where they weren't doing so amazingly early in the edition but now they're starting to show up in top 10s consistently

Idoneth Deepkin had a similar journey too. 
also took DOK quite a while before bubbling towards the top (with the help of AOS2 changes)

4 hours ago, BobbyB said:

I don't know how much of it was app and how much of it was users, but BCP resulted in a huge snarl up at B&G, and I wouldn't trust the scores in it 100% for this tournament

Interesting, I hadn't heard as much. BCP does sometimes run into certain concerns at large events but I've never seen it be wrong at the end of an event. Seems awards and the like were handed out based on the overall scores as they're presented in the app so apparently the organizers didn't see an issue with final scores. 

Any idea as to which players' scoring was in error? 

7 hours ago, BobbyB said:

I don't know how much of it was app and how much of it was users, but BCP resulted in a huge snarl up at B&G, and I wouldn't trust the scores in it 100% for this tournament

Care to elaborate? All the wins and losses seemed good which is what this data uses.

The obvious issue was the pairings going AWOL going into game 2 day one, which led to a big delay starting, round 2 being cut short and all the pairings having to be read out over the tannoy.  I know that some players scores were wrong during the event, which led to incorrect pairings, and that scores seem to have changed a couple of times since the event. It might be that they were being corrected, or soft scores were being added in, and I haven't seen anyone raise an issue with their total score since the event, but it was enough to be leery of the scores that are in there.

6 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

and that scores seem to have changed a couple of times since the event. It might be that they were being corrected, or soft scores were being added in,

That's soft scores going in, if you look in the app you can select to view overall or just a pure battle points score. Given the impact of BnG on things like masters rankings I'm sure if it was an issue we'd have seen more come from it. But no one in the top 20 (to my knowledge) has voiced any concern about their scores so I think its probably safe to assume the scores we have are valid at this point. 

Archived