Card Storage Question

Mr. White

Alright...My stack of cards is growing...the game is becoming unwieldy on my shelf...something must be done.

I'm thinking about getting a deck box for each deck, so my warbands will be sorted and ready for 'grab-n-go'. However, I'm not entirely sure how to store the rest of the cards. All of my cards are sleeved, and the cheap route would be those cardboard boxes, but they seem to difficult to peruse. I think I like the idea of the binders with card pages, but I have two questions for those that have gone this route...

1) Do these sort of card binder hold cards that are also sleeved? I'd rather not pull the cards in and out of sleeves as I change decks/storage.

2) How does one organize the cards in the binder? By number? What about the cards in decks? Is there spot empty in the binder so you can return them there if you rotate out?

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to deal with the cards?

Cheers!

Search for Magic the Gathering reviews on card holders and holders with sleeves. There are LOADS of videos and webpages on this topic in relation to MTG. In general yes there are good quality binders that have pages which can house cards both bare and in sleeves ;though it can depend a bit on which sleeves you use. 

The issue with a binder is that its slower to get things in and out of if you're chopping and changing decks all the time - however it can be a very easy way to visually display cards and keep them neat and organised. 

Yeah, I like the idea of the binder, because I dig the aesthetic of the shadespire cards and wouldn't mind having easy access to flip through and look at the art and such.

I guess doing the cards by numerical order is best? I'll check some MtG videos/posts. Thanks!

I've got all my cards done in numerical order in a binder book. It works really well. The cards as numbered are done in alphabetical order and its fairly easy to sort through. Once you've got it all sorted out, putting them in/out of the sleeved binder is pretty easy.

I've currently got one of those Ultra Pro binders that holds 360 cards and another that holds 180. I've yet to open the new deck of cards as Shadespire has been on the shelf in recent months. If I had to do it again though, I would look into something better, perhaps a proper file with those 9 card holders.

As for sleeves, I originally had all my cards in clear sleeves, however the printing on cards is not exactly consistent as they can vary in colours, so much so that I can tell what some of my cards are by looking at the back of them. I've started transitioning them to simple blue opaque and yellow opaque sleeves for the power and objective decks.

This way when deckbuilding, I can pull cards out of the binder and they are universal enough that I can just put them into a deck without having to think about resleeving.

Hope this helps

1 minute ago, froo said:

I've currently got one of those Ultra Pro binders that holds 360 cards and another that holds 180. I've yet to open the new deck of cards as Shadespire has been on the shelf in recent months. If I had to do it again though, I would look into something better, perhaps a proper file with those 9 card holders.

So, all of the Shadespire cards (including Leader deck) do not fit in one binder? I was hoping to do one binder for each season/setting/wave.

What is this 9 card holder you speak of?

I meant the individual 9 card pages you can buy that ultrapro make and then just buy as many as required to fill up your sets. It should also be easy to expand going forward with Nightvault.

If I did it again, that's what I would do for myself. I probably will end up switching over to something like this when Nightvault drops and Shadespire kicks back up again at my FLGS.

I was leaning towards binder at first, but i went for this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007N7P8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I separated all the cards by faction and just keep the cards that I regularly use sleeved since it fits sleeved cards too. So far it has been great and holds the entire set of available cards well. Not sure what the total of cards will be after the complete nightvault release, but I will probably just buy another one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up one by Vault X on Amazon. Really good quality for storage. Have managed to fit in cards from Shadespire, Nightvault and 2 extra warbands. Just picked up another warband and think a 3rd will also fit in there. Intend to buy another; 1 for Shadespire and another for Nightvault. 

Storage/transport of models is the same as my armies - magnetised tupperware. 

If you're looking for how they're organised, then if you like things neat by number is good, because they organised within the numbers.

(Was sorting mine the other night)

If you organise by number you get cards grouped by Faction (with Universal tagged on the end) with each of those groups broken down to objectives first, upgrades second and ploys 3rd.

Then by alphabetical order.

My OCD-peen was very happy with that realisation...

On 10/10/2018 at 5:19 AM, BaldoBeardo said:

If you're looking for how they're organised, then if you like things neat by number is good, because they organised within the numbers.

(Was sorting mine the other night)

If you organise by number you get cards grouped by Faction (with Universal tagged on the end) with each of those groups broken down to objectives first, upgrades second and ploys 3rd.

Then by alphabetical order.

My OCD-peen was very happy with that realisation...

If you sort the cards in a binder by number, how do you handle the cards in active decks? Do you simply leave empty spaces in the binder for them or are you building decks from scratch prior to each game?

1 hour ago, Mr. White said:

If you sort the cards in a binder by number, how do you handle the cards in active decks? Do you simply leave empty spaces in the binder for them or are you building decks from scratch prior to each game?

I use a storage box in order.

If I was using a binder I'd leave gaps for the absentee cards - other wise I'd go mad reshuffling

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a necro - so I'm looking at moving from FFG standard sleeves (clear) to Dragon Shield matte clear - as FFG stock in the UK is looking dicey (no-one seems sure if UK are getting more stock).

In terms of binder storage, can anyone recommend a binder that holds DS sleeved cards?

On 10/15/2018 at 9:34 AM, Mr. White said:

So, do you folks sleeve your cards? If so, do you sleeve all of them, or just the cards actively used in decks?

I sleeved mine with the official sleeves. They look great!

Now I did sleeve them in a weird way:

All the cards for a Warband get that Warbands Card design (for example: Khorne specific cards get Khorne sleeves) but all the generic ones got the Generic Underworlds sleeves. So when I'm using my deck I know if the next card is a regular card or a warband specific one. Doesn't really give me any gameplay advantage, just adds a visual flair and I find it helps me organize my decks without having to re-sleeve anything. 

3 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

All the cards for a Warband get that Warbands Card design (for example: Khorne specific cards get Khorne sleeves) but all the generic ones got the Generic Underworlds sleeves. So when I'm using my deck I know if the next card is a regular card or a warband specific one. Doesn't really give me any gameplay advantage, just adds a visual flair and I find it helps me organize my decks without having to re-sleeve anything. 

I think it does give you an advantage, depending on your deck construction. If I compare it to my Skaven deck, I run only one Skaven specific objective atm, (Skritch is the greatest). So, if the card on top of my deck has the skaven Icon, I know what it is an can decide if I wand to draw it as it can be scored easily or not.

My cards are all sleeved the same: yellow for objectives, blue for power cards. Atm I have plastic boxes for them, but I plan to build a deck for each warband and then store them in the customeeple card inlay for the box. The unused cards will stay in the plastic boxes.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:19 AM, Wraith01 said:

this gives you a big advantages since you know what's in your deck and what you already have drawn during the first round. So you can more easily guess wich cards comes next! In a tournament it would never pass! ;)

Archived