NOVA Open Age of Sigmar Grand Tounament Top 10 Results (with lists!)

sal4m4nd3r

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to attend a event's who has put there pack up WAY before the event and clearly stated that painting / sportsmanship is a part of scoring then complain about it. Either embrace or it don't attend the event. 

No no what's going on here is people who didn't attend the event are complaining about painting and sports being part of it.  That's clearly much more logical (*tongue firmly in cheek here. . .) 

Don't like how they ran it  - run your own event.   It's very very hard to run an event of this size, and very common to have someone unhappy about something or another.   

These guys have a very tough job and seemed to do  good work from what I could see   (I was also at the event but didn't play in the AoS GT but talked to many friends during the event.)   

That being said looks like a great group of lists and I know a great group of players (biased as I knew several of them, and some are internet famous as well.)   

3 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Diversity this and that, but aren't half the lists literally:

3-4x the biggest Behemoth in the faction

3 minimum battleline

Khorne - minimum battleline no, behemoths YES (This is a very themed list)

Tzeentch - minimum battleline yes, behemoths ehhh - do LoCs and Manticores count?

Nurgle - minimum battleline no, behemoths no

ID - minimum battleline no, behemoths no

Death - minimum battleline yes, behemoths no

FEC - minimum battleline yes, behemoths yes

DoK minimum battleline technically yes, but do 70 models really count as minimum? behemoths no

Death - minimum battleline yes, behemoths no

Death - minimum battleline no, behemoths no

Skaven - Death - minimum battleline no, behemoths no

So no, not really. Plus summoning lists bring a lot of the basic things just not in paid for points.

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

And you don't see anything fundamentally dishonest about this?

There's nothing dishonest about having your army painted by someone else and bringing it to an event.

Its only dishonest if you claim you painted it. 

I'd rather play an army someone has taken the trouble to get propainted than an army where someone has just done the minimum to get to tournie standard

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

This is certainly a viable approach. I hold no grudge against people for using a painting service and even benditting from that in an event.  In a straight up painting competition that’s obviously not cool. 

I don’t know how @Black_Fortress_Immortal Wasn’t able to eat information about paint score. I went up to the TOS and asked if I could know my paint score. He asked my name, a few taps on the iPad and showed me I got a perfect paint score. Told me then and there I was nominated for best painted and need to bring my display board and set it up day two. 

If you go up the them when people are tossing score sheets at them..probably not going to get a detailed response. The TOs were not the only ones judging paint scores. I know for a fact my army was personally judged by Pete foley (GW game designer). So if you ask “why is this my paint score” and that wasn’t the guy who judged your army...they won’t know.

they can show your point score sheet..but there is no explanation there. 

I personally asked about my paint score at the end and was told that they didn't have it and didn't know.  After all was said and done, I went from 19th to 45th after the paint score was added in.  I had my score missed from the first round, so I asked if maybe my paint score was missed.  My army was the Chaos Dwarf one, which was fully painted and based, and with 73 match points, and a 93 total score, so I just had to wonder a little bit.

Again, I'm not a top 10 player and don't expect to be, but we all spend a lot of time and effort on our armies and to travel down there (hundreds and hundreds of miles), so it was just a little disheartening.

Hi Y'all,

First of all I really enjoyed the event, of course there are people I wished I wouldn't play in the event due to their behavior. I would say the head judge did his best to make the event as fair and as entertaining as possible. One of the most disappointing moment that I felt in this tournament is obviously zero awards for the actual tournament itself. There are no prizes for actually winning the event by playing the actual match.  I wish they could have at least a trophy for 1 ,2 , and 3. 

Also, i felt that the grading on my painting is a little harsh, although I didn't do my best in painting this army, I would rate my army close to average table top quality to medium-ish. Definitely not even a medium level table top quality. I got a 14/34 = 4/10 which basically means I only put 3 colors in my army. A 22 would have won me the overall... I did a couple of conversion (some of them look horrible, but hey I tried lol. The ****** looking clouds is my failed trial in sculpting the clouds.... The wanna be direwolves and glaivewrath stalker). I did spent some time in my nagash.

In all seriousness, I had fun but, I did feel salty for winning a paint set and box hero for being undefeated in a major event. 

Obviously there are a lot of people who felt that way as well they all left right after they found out. 

This is my army for your reference,  pardon all the proxies and airbrushes. 

20180904_195934.jpg.32e6e6e59ebcf2a9ee3e18cdf2ccce4a.jpg20180904_200141.jpg.3296e8f8a44396879744ad2875dfdfcc.jpg I

20180904_195750.jpg.16410b21f612a2c530e51850dc574a2e.jpg20180904_195900.jpg.d9c43b153c4f6e18bd4969609d5439d9.jpg20180904_195707.jpg.5f202ec0816324d2cdc6e03267325b3a.jpg20180904_195440.jpg.b4af06f6b9595bd6d3e4e70badab7efe.jpg20180904_193117.jpg.9a1045b4c385381aa2bf0826e38e8c54.jpg

22 minutes ago, wsoehaili said:

In all seriousness, I had fun but, I did feel salty for winning a paint set and box hero for being undefeated in a major event. 

Congratulations on placing first on battle. I have always felt that the ITC is the great equalizer. Assuming NOVA submits their scores and submits only the battle scores I hope that you continue to place well and can win a year end ITC overall price, NOVA will score you a ton of ITC points. I would recommend that all players who attended the event and felt dissatisfaction with scoring email the TO so feedback can be taken for future events.

31 minutes ago, wsoehaili said:

Hi Y'all,

First of all I really enjoyed the event, of course there are people I wished I wouldn't play in the event due to their behavior. I would say the head judge did his best to make the event as fair and as entertaining as possible. One of the most disappointing moment that I felt in this tournament is obviously zero awards for the actual tournament itself. There are no prizes for actually winning the event by playing the actual match.  I wish they could have at least a trophy for 1 ,2 , and 3. 

Also, i felt that the grading on my painting is a little harsh, although I didn't do my best in painting this army, I would rate my army close to average table top quality to medium-ish. Definitely not even a medium level table top quality. I got a 14/34 = 4/10 which basically means I only put 3 colors in my army. A 22 would have won me the overall... I did a couple of conversion (some of them look horrible, but hey I tried lol. The ****** looking clouds is my failed trial in sculpting the clouds.... The wanna be direwolves and glaivewrath stalker). I did spent some time in my nagash.

Obviously there are a lot of people who felt that way as well they all left right after they found out. 

This is my army for your reference,  pardon all the proxies and airbrushes.

20180904_195900.jpg.d9c43b153c4f6e18bd4969609d5439d9.jpg

If this is a 14/34 army in terms of painting, I'd probably end up with a negative painting score.

5 hours ago, Carnelian said:

There's nothing dishonest about having your army painted by someone else and bringing it to an event.

I'd rather play an army someone has taken the trouble to get propainted than an army where someone has just done the minimum to get to tournie standard

Pay 2 win.

Not good.

1 hour ago, azdimy said:

That army looks really well painted. Did you ask what prevented you to get a better paint score? I was not at nova and never saw the tournament pack that may explain how paint was scored

Nova painting scores were not actually very subjective. They had a series of very technical categories that rewarded going to them. Basing was one. Having a display board was one. Conversions were one. The actual paintjob was pretty much just one of many parts that the pack indicated were being judged on. None of this was hidden in the event pack either.

4 hours ago, stratigo said:

Nova painting scores were not actually very subjective. They had a series of very technical categories that rewarded going to them. Basing was one. Having a display board was one. Conversions were one. The actual paintjob was pretty much just one of many parts that the pack indicated were being judged on. None of this was hidden in the event pack either.

EDIT: see @stato post below he found the GT paint rubric not just the doubles.

Just looking at the pictures I would think the army is ok painted and would be happy to play that.

The problem might be with a painting rubric like above. Its a checklist, 2 armies with about same painting skill might get very different points. But if you plan to be on top tables at a turnament it also gives you a list of what you need to do to get max points. Most painting rubric's I have seen are capped like above. So you don't need to do everything to get max points. So might be 25 points to fight for, but 17+ gets you max painting and should be possible for most. But just showing up with a army you think is tabletop standard without being prepared might totally miss on the rubric.

Same kind of bases might have given 1 more there and helped push for 2 more on overall appearance. Stuff where you might not really say the army is better painted, but if painting is part of overall score need to treat it like part of the turnament.

2 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

The GT pack has been taken offline but here is the AOS doubles paint score for reference. GT was similar. The players pack was prepublished well before the event so all players should have been well aware of the rubric.

AOS shorts has the pack still, this is the painting section;

image.png.635d42163eac8f3615270b266fbf4f4f.png

EDIT:  NOTE!  Points are cumulative so highest 'overall appearance' score is 2+5+7=14 for example 

It looks like the army has to be pretty top to get high scores, 14 seems the average that most would get.

4 hours ago, wsoehaili said:

Its a lovely army that i would be very happy to own, but I dont think 4/10 is how it works with their scoring as some parts are not linear and more weighting put on some aspects. I think they probablt scored you down on basing, which might have also pulled you down on overall apperance.  Did you have a display board too?  They should have paint scoring breakdown available though, thats pretty poor not to.

I see a lot of people posting a lot of little jabs here, I think sometimes people need to take a step back and remember at the end of the day it's just toy soldiers. 

If you win, lose or draw the only thing that is different from the start of the game to the end of the game is the time on the clock. You're not playing for life changing things (Millons of pounds, a house, etc etc). I've played a lot of at GB and I'm currently ranked 23rd in the world, I've won double digits of events and every single time I come home to my partner, even if I've won them all and lost them all she still loves me, my family still love me. The things that really matter don't change, our hobby is nothing but pure escapism and something to be enjoyed so lets not take anything away from that. 

There's no need to post little snipe comments at each other because one persons way of playing the game is wrong because it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. 

9 hours ago, Carnelian said:

It seems to me that if you are the one getting the "credit" (in this case, points that go towards overall tournament standing), then you should be the one putting the work in. Otherwise you could win an event thanks to someone else's hard work. As someone else pointed out up-thread, you paid to win, effectively. You may very well end up placing higher than someone else who played a little better than you, but who painted their army themselves. I don't think that's cool.

Now, if you're at a tournament where painting is a seperate award and is disconnected from overall placings, I have less of an issue with it. I still think painting is a fundamental part of the hobby, and if you're not going to paint your models then honestly why are you involved, but that's just my personal feeling and it doesn't impact fairness or anything.

+++ MOD HAT ON +++

Folks, as said previously - No more comments about painting scores here. If you attended the event, you would have been aware about how the winner of the event would have been worked out.

As for the comments about paying somebody to paint an army, this should really be a separate topic ;) 

15 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

And you don't see anything fundamentally dishonest about this?

Not at all, because I'm not competing for a painting trophy.   Additionally, pretty much everyone else does it too.  If I didn't pay the money to have my army painted to a professional standard, I might as well not participate in tournaments with painting scores because I could never win the event because of the substantial ding I'd take in my score by painting it myself over having a professional do it.

TBH - painting scores have no place in tournaments, but they are what they are and as everyone I know gets their army pro painted, I'd be stupid not to do it myself if I was serious about trying to win events that use them.

Archived