NOVA Open Age of Sigmar Grand Tounament Top 10 Results (with lists!)

sal4m4nd3r

1 hour ago, Ninelives said:

Anybody has any insight on how the Tzeentch list is actually played?  Would love to hear more about it ! (and also what is the equipment chosen on the Lord of Change?) 

That is Kaleb Walters. We played our NOVA lists against each other at a prep tournament, so I can offer some insight. He uses the acolyates as screens, objective holders and to box out deep strikers. The enlightened are usually doing the heavy lifting while kairos and the LOC do there thing with spell casting and step into the fight IF needed. Kaleb is a very heady players. Very cerebral game. Very purposeful and thoughtful with movement and pile in's. It doesnt seem like that can make a difference but He is always doing well.  Also with 9 enlightened and fold reality spell (get d6 enlightneded added to the unit..but a 1 destroys the unit immediately) with kairos there to change an errant 1 to a 6... they are INCREDIBLY hard to shift, destroy or otherwise get around.  

4 hours ago, aktanolt said:

Any chance we can find the others participant list somewhere ? 

If you download the Best Coast PAirings app and spend the $5 for the paid version It will not only give you the participants for every major and many many many other minor ones.. but also all the army lists to! (I do not work for BCP)

@wsoehaili Congrats on absolutely brutalizing us! I REally wanted a shot at your army. I did draw another Nagash army and it was fun. You just had to stay at table one all day didn't you?? :P Your army looks dope. Let me say that.  This is an army you should be proud of.  14/34 was middle of the pack and most participants fell in that range. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope you come back next year. I do agree the prize support was VERY odd and disappointing. I don't understand because I saw this post from NOVA open a while back.. It clearly shows some sigmar trophies. I would guess since there is 4 it was for best overall, and then best Grand alliances other then the alliance that won best overall (so in this case, order, death and destruction).. but you would have won best death. And My boy Rob would have won best order. So Im confused. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Feanor said:

Does anyone know what the fleetmaster in the ID list is for? 

I'm so confused ?

Three reasons

a) he had 40 points leftover and so it fit in easily

b) he had an aquaman themed army, so he painted it like black manta

3) it was easily ignored so racked up a ton of VP sitting on objectives

he said that model was probably his MVP most games because of the 3rd reason

Is there anyway to see round-to-round breakdowns of the pairings? I understand that NOVA played with realm rules (first 3 rounds in one realm, second 3 rounds in another) and so on but I'm curious how it played out. Specifically I'm curious how Bill Souza's FEC competed throughout the tournament. It's clear how Nagash, DOK, IDK, etc. match-up across the meta w/ realm abilities in the mix. 

Sorry if the answer to my question was already answered or if I missed a link or something. I admittedly just skimmed a lot of the back-and-forth on how it was scored, so forgive me.

1 minute ago, Mephisto said:

Is there anyway to see round-to-round breakdowns of the pairings?

All lists, round by round pairings (with results), and placings can be viewed on the Best Coast Pairing (BCP) App.  

They are free to the public during the event and remain up a few days after. Once a few days have passed you would need to subscribe to view all archived events.

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

Is there anyway to see round-to-round breakdowns of the pairings? I understand that NOVA played with realm rules (first 3 rounds in one realm, second 3 rounds in another) and so on but I'm curious how it played out. Specifically I'm curious how Bill Souza's FEC competed throughout the tournament. It's clear how Nagash, DOK, IDK, etc. match-up across the meta w/ realm abilities in the mix. 

Sorry if the answer to my question was already answered or if I missed a link or something. I admittedly just skimmed a lot of the back-and-forth on how it was scored, so forgive me.

Hey Mephisto, this is Bill Souza. If you go to the let’s chat FEC thread I answered some of the tactical questions about the army. As far as my matchups. I played vs.:

Nurgle

Nagash/60 reapers

Mixed Order

Tzeentch 

DoK

Nagash/30 reapers/40 skeletons

9 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Hey Mephisto, this is Bill Souza. If you go to the let’s chat FEC thread I answered some of the tactical questions about the army. As far as my matchups. I played vs.:

Nurgle

Nagash/60 reapers

Mixed Order

Tzeentch 

DoK

Nagash/30 reapers/40 skeletons

Thanks for the response. Heading over there now. I saw the List and I was like... "it's so crazy it just might work," haha. 

9 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

That is Kaleb Walters. We played our NOVA lists against each other at a prep tournament, so I can offer some insight. He uses the acolyates as screens, objective holders and to box out deep strikers. The enlightened are usually doing the heavy lifting while kairos and the LOC do there thing with spell casting and step into the fight IF needed. Kaleb is a very heady players. Very cerebral game. Very purposeful and thoughtful with movement and pile in's. It doesnt seem like that can make a difference but He is always doing well.  Also with 9 enlightened and fold reality spell (get d6 enlightneded added to the unit..but a 1 destroys the unit immediately) with kairos there to change an errant 1 to a 6... they are INCREDIBLY hard to shift, destroy or otherwise get around.  

If you download the Best Coast PAirings app and spend the $5 for the paid version It will not only give you the participants for every major and many many many other minor ones.. but also all the army lists to! (I do not work for BCP)

@wsoehaili Congrats on absolutely brutalizing us! I REally wanted a shot at your army. I did draw another Nagash army and it was fun. You just had to stay at table one all day didn't you?? :P Your army looks dope. Let me say that.  This is an army you should be proud of.  14/34 was middle of the pack and most participants fell in that range. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope you come back next year. I do agree the prize support was VERY odd and disappointing. I don't understand because I saw this post from NOVA open a while back.. It clearly shows some sigmar trophies. I would guess since there is 4 it was for best overall, and then best Grand alliances other then the alliance that won best overall (so in this case, order, death and destruction).. but you would have won best death. And My boy Rob would have won best order. So Im confused. 

HI kaleb, Thanks I didn't really destroy anyone, it was a tough matchup for a single match I had ! I certainly had fun and would definitely come back and hopefully play you in the upcoming matches! hahahahah it was not fun staying on table 1 for the rest of day 2 :P. Thats a heck lot of trophies! Which nagash version did you play?

@wsoehailiI said on the podcast today maybe you deserved to drop points from a previous pic I seen on your army and bases but seeing your pics now is your army may not be  technically amazing but it's looks great you have put LOTS of effort in from what I can tell and I don't think the painting scoring of this event is what we want to see at events. To many opinion sections i can only imagine judged on skill level, minimum standards anyone can achieve with effort is what we need push people past 3 colours and based.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:32 PM, Black Blade said:14 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

TBH - painting scores have no place in tournaments, but they are what they are and as everyone I know gets their army pro painted

I disagree and the claim that "everyone does it" is patently false.  I know a number of top tier players that put the work, paint their own armies and perform regularly on top tables. 

2 hours ago, LawgiverA554 said:

Why exactly is painting not only included, but such a significant percentage of points when it is a completely subjective area?

Shouldn’t there be separate awards for General, Overall, Painting? Am I the only one to whom that makes sense?

Most of the major events (in the U.S. at least) have a significant portion of the "Best overall" score be divided between Painting and Sportsmanship (20-40%).  That is, "Best Overall" really means best overall, not just who won the most battles.  The choice to have "Best Overall" at an event communicates what the type of community that the TOs and event organizers want to foster.  If you don't like those types of events, I would recommend attending events that don't have this type of scoring (although this is admittedly difficult for regional and national level events in the U.S., given that the TO event organizer pack recommends this type of scoring structure).  If you can't find an event that scores events how you want to do so, I'd encourage you to build the kind of event that you would want to play in.  People will vote with their feet.

1 minute ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Most of the major events (in the U.S. at least) have a significant portion of the "Best overall" score be divided between Painting and Sportsmanship (20-40%).  

LVO gives 9 awards. All equal trophy size and prize support. They are:

1. Champion 1st 2nd and 3rd. (Pure battle)

2. Best painted 1st 2nd and 3rd. (Pure Judge paint)

3. Best renaissance man 1st 2nd and 3rd. (Battle + Paint).

Sports is thumbs up and thumbs down Judge decision  on dealing with 2 thumbs 2 (including ejections)

Do not characterize the entire USA with a general statement.

Just now, svnvaldez said:

Sports is thumbs up and thumbs down Judge decision  on dealing with 2 thumbs 2 (including ejections)

The way it should be. At least most events were that way when it was Fantasy, right?

1 minute ago, svnvaldez said:

Correct, hence why I said "most".  Please survey the rest of the major events in the united states.  You will find that "most" is indeed correct.

Cool trophies are those provided by GW or is it a specific store? I have one from Gen Con just like them. I was planning on running a small tournament in Milwaukee in February and was just going to buy or make something myself but if GW has em that would make my life easier.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Yoshiya said:

If simple painted bases arent allowed then clearly basing was something they cared about for theme etc. As such it seems really weird 40k tanks werent grouped into the same issue as that's an even bigger breaker of theme.

Given that in June 17th 2017 (Release Date for WH40K 8e) this image was dropped on the Official FB Page for AoS and that the entire army was Daemons it isn’t entirely out of theme ;) E20C3E3D-7DA4-4725-8D8C-A275A133F8B4.jpeg.af646b205e32babc18831d49869b6bac.jpeg

Image Source

Here is the rubric for the painting. Like @sal4m4nd3rsaid earlier most players averaged 15 pts with fully painted and based armies. I think NOVA is being absolutely mischaracterized by a couple people on this chat. The whole event had a good atmosphere. I never once heard rumors of cheating and the painting minimums produced beautiful armies. The armies that achieved max painting scores really deserved them. It sounds like they lost your painting scores or something which really does suck because i did see your army and it at the VERY least deserved the second tier in all the painting scores@Black_Fortress_Immortal. No one was even really upset when all the winners were announced. They released their rubric far in advance. I do believe 6 - 0 should definitely be rewarded though. I just think there's better ways of achieving that then getting on the internet and blowing things out of proportion...... The loud really minor minority....

15362362970678537343077375755916.jpg

10 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

There are 3 major events: NOVA, LVO, and Acon. Each over 75+ players.

NOVA was and IS an amazing event....but Acon and LVO are much larger. Not sure how "old" Acon and LVO are but NOVA is only 10 years old this year. But LVO almost doubles out nova in attendance. They had 198 tickets sold with 170 day one participants. I was at Acon this year, did fairly well to. The hall they had it in was MASSIVE. Also housed star wars legion and x wing and still could have had probably double the tickets sold if the had the people. 

They had best grand alliances, best sports (went to @Mitzy), best painted (went to @Terry Pike - Which was funny because he won a raffle prize, they called him up and Alex Gonzalez "shooed" him away and said "dont to worry about it. You will be fine" -- I screamed out " GIVE IT TO TERRY!" Then Alex called my name for the raffle prize and as I was walking up I yelled out "DONT GIVE IT TO TERRY" :P -- ten seconds later Terry won best painted with that jaw dropping nurgle/skaven army) and best overall. There was no best generaliship.  

2 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

I think your army is amazing! Bonus points for being pure gutbusters lol

I don't think it would be a big deal but I almost lost a few fingers and have a couple burn marks trying to convert that thing- And I went down the check-list and ... sorry for complaining! I had fun. 

Archived