Multitudinous Host list please critique

Reezark_SP

Hello everybody!

My collecting of all things Tzeench is in full swing and while I've been picking up some of the heroes I plan to use most of the time I've been on the fence on how to best fill out the rest of the army,

I'm curious what you all think of the Muiltitudinous Host battalion? Being able to grow your Horror units by D6 models (D3 Brimstone) in each of your hero phases seems pretty sweet. Combine that with Fold Reality and banking 1's from your Destiny dice pool seems like your Horrors will be fantastic meat shields while you blast away with magic. If I were to go this route this is what I'm thinking my army would look like:

Lord of Change (general)
Herald of Tzeench
Gaunt Summoner with Familiars

Battleline:
Pink Horrors x10
Pink Horrors x10
Pink Horrors x10

Other:
Blue Horrors x10
Blue Horrors x10
Blue Horrors x10
Brimstone Horrors x10
Brimstone Horrors x10

Soulsnare Shackles

Multitudinous Host

Strategy is pretty simple. Screen / tie up enemies with Horrors while blasting away with 8 spells in each of your turns. Gaunt Summoner is there to have access to the Mortal magic lore (I'm thinking Glimpse the Future and Shield of Fate, personally).

What are your thoughts? Also what would be your suggestion on how to kit out my general and other hero since I'll have access to 2 artifacts/powers for running a battalion?

Unfortunately, the battalion got nerfed in the last FAQ

Page 97 – Multitudinous Host, Horrors Without Number Change the rules text to: ‘In each of your hero phases, add D3 models to each unit of Pink Horrors and/or Blue Horrors, and add 1 model to each unit of Brimstone Horrors in this battalion.

And thus the battalion kinda sucks now. My recommendation would be to go with Changehost or no battalion. 

For your general, my suggestion is Ethereal amulet and to keep mystic shield on him, that makes him pretty tough against most shooting.  Alternatively, Gryph Feather Charm + Incorporeal Form makes for a tough close combat tank. 

The other item I really like is the Windthief Charm as it allows one of your other heroes to do a rapid reposition once per game which is hugely helpful for getting into a spot where you can spam a bunch of summoning.    

I think you could probably do with a bit more offensive output. Gaunt summoner does virtually nothing against MSU armies and the Herald's cast odds aren't great. I'd recommend finding room for a Curseling (which is freaking amazing this edition with 30" unbind, he can potentially cast 4 spells per turn). Also, consider dropping the shackles and picking up an endless spell that hits harder such as the pendulum. Consider making the Curseling your general to pick up Arcane Sacrifice. 

Imo shield of fate is horrible. It de-incentivizes you from using your destiny dice. (plus re-rolling saves in an army of poor saves is not super helpful, plus saving the lives of a couple horrors is kinda meh) Treacherous bond is alternatively an amazing spell. Arcane Suggestion is also pretty good (though unpredictable)

I've been pondering this battalion for a while, yes, the nerf hurts but I still think it's viable (if not top tier) as long as you have a lot of Pinks to make the cost worth it.  I like the bind it puts your opponent in, if they knock out the Pinks you'll have a massive second wave of blues but if they focus on the heros all the horrors will quickly get to unmanageable sizes 

I ended up with quite a take on it (2k):

Guant Summoner with familiars (General, Arcane Sacrifice)

The Blue Scribes

Herald on foot

5* 10 Pink Horrors

3 * 10 Blue Horrors

Probably go with defensive artefacts, so the Heros don't get blown off the board.  I really think Brimstones are a waste in this Battalion, but obviously more pinks means you need a massive collection to bring it to the table.

Going to be crazy hard to handle is your opponent doesn't start quickly wiping out those pink horrors.

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 6:04 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

I've been pondering this battalion for a while, yes, the nerf hurts but I still think it's viable (if not top tier) as long as you have a lot of Pinks to make the cost worth it.  I like the bind it puts your opponent in, if they knock out the Pinks you'll have a massive second wave of blues but if they focus on the heros all the horrors will quickly get to unmanageable sizes 

I ended up with quite a take on it (2k):

Guant Summoner with familiars (General, Arcane Sacrifice)

The Blue Scribes

Herald on foot

5* 10 Pink Horrors

3 * 10 Blue Horrors

Probably go with defensive artefacts, so the Heros don't get blown off the board.  I really think Brimstones are a waste in this Battalion, but obviously more pinks means you need a massive collection to bring it to the table.

Going to be crazy hard to handle is your opponent doesn't start quickly wiping out those pink horrors.

Did you end up running this?  I'm thinking of starting DoT and have been eyeing the this battalion.

Archived