Starting a Seraphon Army

Natepoleon

Howdy there folks,

I am starting up a Seraphon army with some old bits I have sitting around from awhile ago.  Before I go and buy a whole bunch of new reptilian friends I wanted to get some advice from you experienced folks.  I do have a few caveats, I have about 30 Saurus Warriors,  a Skink Starpriest, a Saurus Oldblood, and 12 Saurus Guard, (I bought the old Lizardmen Regiment back in fantasy but converted the Saurus Knights out of it as Ork Bikers :D).  Also I happen to have an Engine of the Gods. What I am looking for is a fun list that focuses on that incredible infantry with big dinosaurs as support.  I do not want to run a slann and spam summoning, it is an interesting and exciting way to play, my main Sigmar army is Legions of Nagash.  While I do not mind being infantry focused similar to LoN I would like something that is new and refreshing to play when I decide I do not want to be an arguably overpowered skeleton.  Thanks for reading my little novel.

On 9/2/2018 at 10:35 PM, Natepoleon said:

I am starting up a Seraphon army with some old bits I have sitting around from awhile ago.  

Welcome! Everyone loves dinosaurs and Seraphon have a lot of dinosaurs so what's not to like!  :D

I do have a few caveats, I have about 30 Saurus Warriors,  a Skink Starpriest, a Saurus Oldblood, and 12 Saurus Guard, (I bought the old Lizardmen Regiment back in fantasy but converted the Saurus Knights out of it as Ork Bikers :D).

One of the reasons I enjoy Seraphon is that they have a wide variety of play styles in one army.   You can focus on giant dinosaurs, nimble skinks, Saurus infantry, summoning and magic heavy, or a mixed list and they will all perform fine.  It sounds like you have a solid starting force based on Saurus.  I'd recommend grabbing a Slann and an Astrolith Bearer first thing and not for the summoning!

The Slann I mentioned above is an excellent wizard and with the introduction of Endless Spells and Realms Spells he now has something to do with all his magic!  If you are playing with these rules, the Slann should have lots of buffing, debuffing, and damage to do in the Hero Phase.  Throw in an Astrolith Bearer and the Slann and your Saurus become even better.  

What I am looking for is a fun list that focuses on that incredible infantry with big dinosaurs as support. 

This is pretty much how I play most of the time.  Our big dinos are perfectly respectable monsters and run the gamut from "Amazing!" (Bastilodon) to "Looks really nice on your display board" (Troglodon). 

Bastilodons are everyone's first choice and a couple of these, with buffs, will be excellent anvils in your army. The gem is murder against demons and the snake engine (my favorite) is immensely fun to charge right into the center of your opponent's army. 

Carnosaurs of either type of are good damage dealers and are fast.  I wouldn't expect one to go toe-to-toe with heavy hitters like Nagash, Mawkrushas, or Stardrakes without support, but against infantry and lesser monsters they'll do fine. 

Stegadons are extremely average but that said they are still monsters and hit hard in close combat.  I've had one of my Stegos knock out a full strength Treelord on the charge so the potential is there.  The ranged weapon really depends on what you're facing.  The flamethrowers are great against hordes as you would expect, while the giant bow is good for hero sniping and hurting monsters.

An Engine of the Gods is a great support monster.  Keep her safe by your Slann!  The ability to deal D6 mortal wounds at long range is amazing and healing is always good.  The summoning can be handy but I wouldn't rely on it since (I think) you can only do it once per game now(?).

The Troglodon is pretty...

Ok...that's not totally fair.  She is still a monster and has a decent ranged attack but I wouldn't expect her to tank anything tougher than light infantry.  In fact, I think of her as the monster equivalent of light cavalry; fast and harassing. Being able to unbind is nice too.

PS: I hear the Thunderquake Starhost might be worth looking into...;)

That sounds great, I have been a fan of lizards, seraphon now, for several years, I know that every Seraphon player should have a slann as soon as financially possible so I think I will start with that, I am considering picking up the Start Collecting box before that though.  Thanks for the feedback!

Archived