Rating the Heroes

Kroll

Kharadron Admiral is insanely powerful at range, and has a 3+ save.

Singlehandedly he managed to take down the Gaunt Summoner (who showed up for an unexpected event), at range in a single round of ranged combat, in his turn. (All 9 wounds ....) due to how his ranged attack works.

The cogsmith is similar at range... but not quite as good.

We are playing Silver Tower with a Knight Questor, Lord Castellant, Saurus Old Blood and a Skink Starpriest. Narratively, the Seraphon have summoned a huge army to draw out the armies of a Silver Tower that has appeared on the Skull of Asgorath in Ghur. We chose models for the party to reflect this story but fortunately found they were fun combination to play too! Not sure about power level but we haven't lost a hero and we are half way though the tower.

The Old Blood is great fun with his ability to gain experience by granting additional attacks to other players. The Starpriest is just cool for the great range damage. The Questor dishes out the damage whilst the Castellant is pretty strong but great for providing area of effect heals.

22 hours ago, Kroll said:

Has anyone used Slambo yet? I’ve been thinking of getting the model. 

In my experience, he's easily capable of clearing rooms single-handedly and has often earned 4-5 skills per trial (with other characters maybe earning 1 skill per trial on average). If you're looking for a challenge, look past Slambo.

A short list of what I have personally found to be "easy mode" heroes:

• Slambo
  • Cogsmith
  • Knight-Venator

A short list of heroes I think may be more challenging to use (no guarantees here that the list is accurate, as I'm writing these based on expectations rather than experience):

• Nomad Prince
  • Great Bray-Shaman

22 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

We are playing Silver Tower with a Knight Questor, Lord Castellant, Saurus Old Blood and a Skink Starpriest. Narratively, the Seraphon have summoned a huge army to draw out the armies of a Silver Tower that has appeared on the Skull of Asgorath in Ghur. We chose models for the party to reflect this story but fortunately found they were fun combination to play too! Not sure about power level but we haven't lost a hero and we are half way though the tower.

The Old Blood is great fun with his ability to gain experience by granting additional attacks to other players. The Starpriest is just cool for the great range damage. The Questor dishes out the damage whilst the Castellant is pretty strong but great for providing area of effect heals.

I dig how the party has a background. Did you happen to select these models, so cooked up a backstory to match, or did you have a setting in mind and selected heroes to match?

So ... the cool part about the Silver Tower is that due to the fact that they are “forced together into a group” that you can have any of the heroes in a given group.

Death, Chaos, Order, Destruction ... at the end of the day they’re all there to defeat the Gaunt Summoner ... whatever their personal reason is ...

On 9/5/2018 at 4:26 AM, Mr. White said:

I dig how the party has a background. Did you happen to select these models, so cooked up a backstory to match, or did you have a setting in mind and selected heroes to match?

Short answer is they were selected based on the backstory.

After reading City of Secrets, I was totally sold on Age of Sigmar. I chose Ghur as the setting for a new multiyear campaign. I was having some trouble convincing my buddies to make the switch to Age of Sigmar but they were keen for Warhammer Quest. I hoped this would be a great introduction to the new setting. I started rebasing my adversaries back to rounds from squares, painted up a Mierce Miniatures Vagrant Knight on foot (with a flaming sword from the Battle Wizard kit) to be a Bretonnian-like knight from the Black Marsh Barony, counting as a Knight Questor. I thought we needed a proper Stormcast Eternal in the party, this was the Age of Sigmar after all, so I painted up the Lord Castellant who just looks perfect for Warhammer Quest and could also fill the role of healer.

I wanted some Seraphon in the party as one of my gaming buddies was a Lizardmen player. I also thought the Seraphon would be a race audacious enough to lead an attack on a Silver Tower. He already had a painted Saurus Alpha Talon and a Skink Priest so we used them as an Old Blood and Star Priest respectively.  We now had a what I thought was a well rounded party that featured the classic archetypes (tank, off-tank, healer and ranged damage).

I wrote a short piece of prose to introduce the characters and their daring plan to bring down a second Silver Tower that appeared in the southern Ghurlands at same time as the tower that was summoned in Excelsis.

1.jpg

Archived