What do I say to a buddy about this situation

AaronWilson

Ah, the old Noob Stomper. 

The only way to protect against Noob Stomping ( or seal clubber, kitty stomper etc) is to make sure the club self polices. There's really no other way. 

Helping your friend tech against a particularly busted list is fine , but the root problem is the vet abused the new player and failed to make it a fun game.

You'll have to make sure you talk about it pregame to avoid this kind of thing in the future.

Direct him to the KO forum on this site. Also, read through his battletome, and work with him to create a new list that has its own degenerate combos. I understand the Khemist skyport has potential?

Ultimately you can't outplay every army in the game. If one player has a tight list with lots of combos and redundancies, and another player has a 2000pt list of good units; the first player will probably win every time. This goes doubly for stormcast as they have very hard hitting, durable profiles and can teleport; so any synergies you build in with your list are just garnish.

I think smaller games are not great.

The solution in my area has been real time teaching. Tell the other guy what I would do. When he flubbs something, explain alternatives. When you make choices, explain how you got there. This has really helped teach the rules in my area. 

Bonus points if the first couple games involves armies you know. Even if you do not, get the scrolls for his army in your AoS app and help him remember his rules. This goes a long way. It can show them how many early game losses are a lack of memory or lack of grasp of the core mechanics.

3 hours ago, sirbrokensword said:

So, the obvious solution to this problem. is play a game with good balance, there are many wargames that have it, AoS is not one of them. Or accept that your game will be over before you even deploy many times, and learn not to care.

Feels bad, man :(

20 hours ago, Nos said:

...given that their knowledge and experience is basically zero, the threshold of what a challenge is is going to be incredibly low.

This is the crux of it for me. When we get a beginner at jiu jitsu the senior grades obviously don't go all out against them because there's no way that's a practical learning curve. You walk them through some of the basics then limit yourself to techniques they've learned or can cope with, and gradually incease the challenge to fit their level, so that they're always getting suitably stretched.

27 minutes ago, AGPO said:

This is the crux of it for me. When we get a beginner at jiu jitsu the senior grades obviously don't go all out against them because there's no way that's a practical learning curve

Martial arts have a grading system that evolved to allow practice between those of a similar level. Music also has a rough grading system as well, with more complex music being taught at a higher grading level. 

Thing is Warhammer doesn't really have hundreds of years nor a major social impact to have a grading system. We have a very rough and ready system that mostly relies upon  the individual to grade themselves and to communicate that grade to others. Thus its very possible for beginners to over-estimate their skill and play experienced players; and its very possible for the very experienced to lie about their experience - or to actually miss interpret it (not everyone is self confident). Plus its not what everything thinks when starting a game - they think about points, about who they like to play, about what army they've got or the other person has or just because its 6pm already and there's only two or three hours before the club ends and there's only 1 other person to play with so might as well play with them. 

36 minutes ago, AGPO said:

This is the crux of it for me. When we get a beginner at jiu jitsu the senior grades obviously don't go all out against them because there's no way that's a practical learning curve. You walk them through some of the basics then limit yourself to techniques they've learned or can cope with, and gradually incease the challenge to fit their level, so that they're always getting suitably stretched.

I work in education. And this is the basically the way you have to approach most of the situations where people have to learn something.

You always have to adjust and balance the challenge for the other person, so that the person can learn something.

If you go directly all in and use the full repertoire on a player who has no experience, the other player will learn nothing. But he also won't learn anything if you don't provide a challenge. 

So I think it is the responsibility of the more experienced player to adjust the challenge for the unexperienced player. But in this scenario I don't think the other player had any interest in a fair and even match and just wanted to stomp his opponent.

54 minutes ago, Infeston said:

I work in education. And this is the basically the way you have to approach most of the situations where people have to learn something.

You always have to adjust and balance the challenge for the other person, so that the person can learn something.

[...]

I agree with you, when you teach the game, you need to find the line between reward and challenge.

But furthermore, even when you are not learning anymore, being tabled T2 is a problem of communication between players. Especially in FLGS, clubs, etc ...

Archived