Both WHQ Games No Longer on the US Site

Mr. White

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same for UK site - the models are still up but not the games. I figure that with GW moving into Age of Sigmar and with Shadspire doing well enough to have a second season they are retiring the Quest series. A shame considering that they just did a big video with a new Blackstone 40K Quest game. That is unless they are producing some combined box or something. 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Same for UK site - the models are still up but not the games. I figure that with GW moving into Age of Sigmar and with Shadspire doing well enough to have a second season they are retiring the Quest series. A shame considering that they just did a big video with a new Blackstone 40K Quest game. That is unless they are producing some combined box or something. 

Id suggest its more that they are old so not doing another print run while they push 40k WHQ.  Clearly they think the WHQ approach is worthy as  40k WHQ is going up alongside a number of strong skirmish 40k games.

13 minutes ago, michu said:

Same situation on polish site. That's a pity, I planned to buy both.

Ebay still has some up for sale on the UK side so I'd say check out ebay and the 3rd party stores also phone around your local GW store as there is still likely stock in the system. If it was direct order online then ebay, Bartertown and even a thread here might snag you a copy. 

Not to put pressure on you but right now is probably going to be cheapest time to buy in - some might not have noticed its withdrawn from sale and in general the demand will be lower right now. 

Managed to get one off anthird party, figured it was now or never. As others have said the prices will shoot through the roof now.  And I’m really enjoying the Silver Tower models and the game itself, so thought I’d just got for it. 

It has disappeared from the Australian Site too. I have finished painting the Silver Tower set (less the heroes) and given my gaming groups enthusiasm for Silver Tower have been considering Hammerhal. Many say it is the better of the two.

I will say that GW did keep it around for a decent amount of time especially compared to how they used to do things (e.g. Dreadfleet). Would have liked a Last Chance to Buy if it is indeed being discontinued though. Still, it has been a great success and I am thankful I got Silver Tower, I love this game. A 40K version will be great I am sure and a good sign that this type of game is very much in favour at GW. I have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard from Warhammer Quest in the Age of Sigmar.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

A 40K version will be great I am sure and a good sign that this type of game is very much in favour at GW. I have a feeling this isn't the last we have heard from Warhammer Quest in the Age of Sigmar.

I agree! They are keeping the brand around, after all.

I never really liked it tbh. It's just nowhere near as good as Heroquest imo, and Dungeon Saga has done a fantastic job of filling that gap (i otherwise can't stand Mantic, but Dungeon Saga is fantastic for my kids). Meanwhile Shadespire is a nice short tactical game.

I think Warhammer Quest just wasn't interesting enough. Boards with no scenery, and an overly complex ruleset making it difficult for kids to understand. Just not a great gateway product and tbh, not an engaging standalone product either.

I hope they bring out Heroquest tbh. Was in a GW store yesterday and four people in there, including the manager, saying that Heroquest was what made them start the whole hobby.

GW needs that back. Not that AoS isn't doing great already.

Not really a fair comparison, as heroquest had a much farther reach beaing in mainstream department shops. It was a partnership with Milton Bradly and it was MBs distribution that was their contribution.

Also, HQ came out in a time when there weren't 100s of other dungeon crawl options to choose from. There are far too many games out now for any one title to have the breadth of influence singular games used to.

This is a much different time and situation.

For what it's worth, I think the gameplay of the new WHQ games is better than old school WHQ, which got boring quickly. I do wish we could  roll up and name our characters like AHQ, but that seems to have been the only quality dungeoncrawler with that feature.

If I could have one wish for this line before retiring, it would be adversary decks for Death and Destruction. Two wishes would include a How To campaign building book.

3 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

It's just nowhere near as good as Heroquest imo...

You aren't going to make me say a bad word about Heroquest, that would be blasphemy. Mr White has got it right in saying you can't fairly compare them. As a mass market game Heroquest was (and is) sensational. Warhammer Quest is there to scratch a different itch.

I think the basic mechanics of Silver Tower is absolutely inspired. There are a few minor quibbles with the rules presentation, lack of monster cards and a few things had to get fixed in an FAQ but overall my gaming group is finding this a lot of fun. We are half way through our forth game of Silver Tower and will probably be up to the sixth  by the end of this month.

And the miniatures, well in Silver Tower they are in a league all of their own - jaw dropingly nice models all of them (yes, even the scuttlings).

Shame, I didn’t get a chance to grab Hammerhal, although I might still be able to find on in stores or 3rd party without an issue.

I’ve emailed GW to see if I can get some details but it’s Saturday so I’m not expecting anything for a few days.

As others have said, a Last Chance to Buy would have been nice. And probably would have helped shift quite a few units. Oh well.

1 hour ago, zedatkinszed said:

I noticed this last night when I wanted to buy the chaos adversary cards. Might be a repack. It'd be strange for them to discontinue the WHQ games after just printing rules for the new Stormcast and Nighthaunt models in July's White Dwarf

Yeah I wondered if it was a repack. If there’s a 40k version coming it would make sense to repackage the Sigmar versions to make it clear to newbies. Hopefully a rebranding might come with a few expansion packs. 

Canadian, gone for me too. Rather saddened by this turn of events, since I was really interested and would have gotten at least Silver Tower if not for being on a model-buying freeze until my garage renovation is done (we're turning it into a game room / modelling studio).

I emailed GW, here’s the reply:

“Due to an error on the site we don't have these showing up at the moment, but have asked the web team to fix this for us ASAP. “

Soooo, I guess they’ll be back at some point.

Edit: I should note that this was GW Australia but it stands to reason that what goes for Australia, goes for the rest of the world.

Archived