Two Spell Wizards

Black Blade

Is the Arcanum on Tauralon the best option for taking a multi casting Order wizard? Furthermore is he even worth his points? He seems to have a lot of mediocre abilities and traits for that don't justify his cost when you could just take a second wizard in his stead. I'm not experienced enough to make the call myself so any weigh-ins are appreciated.

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Is the Arcanum on Tauralon the best option for taking a multi casting Order wizard? Furthermore is he even worth his points? He seems to have a lot of mediocre abilities and traits for that don't justify his cost when you could just take a second wizard in his stead. I'm not experienced enough to make the call myself so any weigh-ins are appreciated.

Is this for qualifying allies (400 point cap) or in a GA Order list (any amount)?

I really can't think of any efficient no-brainers that can cast/unbind 2 (RIP old Teclis). Is there a need to have a multi-casting option on a single model - some synergy you want to take advantage of?

Edit: Looks like the Enchantress (Bretonnian) is a cast/unbind 2 for 160 points, and she gets a free reroll of a failed casting roll each hero phase... that's pretty nice. Also Battlemage on Pegasus (The Empire) is the same 2/2 for 160, better movement, a bonus to unbind, a decent looking spell. 

16 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

Is this for qualifying allies (400 point cap) or in a GA Order list (any amount)?

I really can't think of any efficient no-brainers that can cast/unbind 2 (RIP old Teclis). Is there a need to have a multi-casting option on a single model - some synergy you want to take advantage of?

Edit: Looks like the Enchantress (Bretonnian) is a cast/unbind 2 for 160 points, and she gets a free reroll of a failed casting roll each hero phase... that's pretty nice. Also Battlemage on Pegasus (The Empire) is the same 2/2 for 160, better movement, a bonus to unbind, a decent looking spell. 

This was actually for my Eternals list building. I love the magic element of the game and Sacrosant brought me back in. As far as I knew the new Tauralon was the only two spell available in faction but I was open to hearing about the allies. That's good to know about the enchantress and pegasus. It's not a must but I thought it would be interesting to try a multicasting wizard as I play against a lot of Eidolon and Nagash armies. It's not all the casting though I'd like the points to make sense. I already feel like the model was overpriced so i wasn't sure if he was in points as well. 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:05 AM, Freejack02 said:

Alarielle.. in a sylvaneth army mostly.. but even on her own not bad since she's tough, deals damage, flies, shoots a bit and she summons stuff regardless of allegiance and can heal herself... and has a good spell. w/o endless spells or sylvaneth spells her 3th spell might not see much use though.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Alarielle.. in a sylvaneth army mostly.. but even on her own not bad since she's tough, deals damage, flies, shoots a bit and she summons stuff regardless of allegiance and can heal herself... and has a good spell. w/o endless spells or sylvaneth spells her 3th spell might not see much use though.

I didn't list the 3/3 big hitters mostly because they don't qualify for Allies, but yeah Morathi/Mathlann/Alarielle would be in that mix. 

Sorry, i shouldve been clearer, the Archmage on dragon can cast two spells without the balewind, it's baked into the warscroll although you need to take the arcane tome option rather than the sword. Basic Archmage on foot (or indeed any wizard with the right number of wounds) can cast balewind to then be able to cast two spells (well 2 spells in each turn after the balewind is cast).

Taularon seems to be in a very awkward place since he have a lot of decent things (speed, 2 spells, many interesting buffs and auras) but no real way to utilise any of those.
If I were to turn him into great caster I'd do these: take Grand Convocation with him as lord arkanum (with stormcaller spell), Cogs and Comet as endless spells and stuff of focus as artefact for him.
Then about turn two unleash the heavenly magic of Azyr upon the foes of Sigmar by casting cogs with some other wizard and activating them with Arcanum (so getting to cast 3 spells and re-roll save rolls) and activating Staff of Focus getting a phase of spectacular offensive magic.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:05 AM, Freejack02 said:

These can't be used in Matched Play though right, coz they're not in the General's Handbook?

10 minutes ago, Roark said:

These can't be used in Matched Play though right, coz they're not in the General's Handbook?

I thought compendium units were still allowed as they still have Matched Play points, though only Stormcast can take the Enchantress and Battlemage as allies without having to go General Order allegiance due to keyword changes.  As regards Tournaments, I suppose some will allow them and some won't, but otherwise it wouldn't bother me in a standard game.

1 minute ago, Aelfric said:

I thought compendium units were still allowed as they still have Matched Play points, though only Stormcast can take the Enchantress and Battlemage as allies without having to go General Order allegiance due to keyword changes.  As regards Tournaments, I suppose some will allow them and some won't, but otherwise it wouldn't bother me in a standard game.

OK, cool. I lose track with compendium rules. It's nice to know they can still possibly be fielded.

But in terms of allies, I would think that the models would need to belong to one of the Matched Play factions listed as Stormcast allies in GHB in order to be legal...

1 minute ago, Roark said:

OK, cool. I lose track with compendium rules. It's nice to know they can still possibly be fielded.

But in terms of allies, I would think that the models would need to belong to one of the Matched Play factions listed as Stormcast allies in GHB in order to be legal...

Stormcast can take anything with the Order keyword as allies.  Both the Enchantress and Battlemage have the Order keyword, but they have lost the Free Peoples keyword. 

There's not a lot left in the compendium books anyway and any that are duplicates of those listed in the General's Handbook, such as Demons of Chaos, will be out of date as you have to use the most recent iteration of a Warscroll.

Still, it does mean people can still field a Bretonnian army if they wish and that's a good thing.  My main army is Wanderers and I still lament the loss of the Wanderers keyword from the compendium scrolls.

2 hours ago, Aelfric said:

My main army is Wanderers and I still lament the loss of the Wanderers keyword from the compendium scrolls.

Yeah, I was just realising some of that earlier today (Wardancers I think it was). Sucks.

Archived