Wrath and Rapture

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

Those fiends are tastyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

While this probability is in the realm of 'will never happen', and the effectiveness is in the realm of 'will never matter', when a unit of 3 is buffed by a Keeper of Secrets and in their battalion, they have a max damage of 162 against a 4+ wound model. 

Even ignoring the improbable, a unit of 6  buffed by a KoS, in the battalion, and with their loci activated has an average damage of 54 against a 4+ save (about 40 on a 3+ save), and this isn't accounting for the d3 damage claws. While I'm very happy about the anti elite option, I'm worried that they may become the next skyfyres.

52 minutes ago, Enoby said:

While this probability is in the realm of 'will never happen', and the effectiveness is in the realm of 'will never matter', when a unit of 3 is buffed by a Keeper of Secrets and in their battalion, they have a max damage of 162 against a 4+ wound model. 

Even ignoring the improbable, a unit of 6  buffed by a KoS, in the battalion, and with their loci activated has an average damage of 54 against a 4+ save (about 40 on a 3+ save), and this isn't accounting for the d3 damage claws. While I'm very happy about the anti elite option, I'm worried that they may become the next skyfyres.

Would be a good way of forcing shooting back into the meta at least.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

without trawling through warscrolls, and not having played slaanesh before, how do we get the figures?

Just now, Kaleb Daark said:

without trawling through warscrolls, and not having played slaanesh before, how do we get the figures?

I use the warscrolls posted above and then do a bit of maths wizardry to work out average hits, average wounds, average saved, and then average damage :) GW, to my knowledge, doesn't post these figures.

Blood crushers, Fiends and Seekers are larger models, though. 

SW is "dirt cheap" because it is GW's way of hooking you into the game. A fairer comparison would be the recent "opposed forces" boxes that we have seen for 40k. 

Compared that way i think they are good value.

42 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I view it as two start collecting boxes, in both cases the centre piece replaced by a hero and another unit., so not that bad if you are splitting or swapping.

adding to that warscroll cards and tokens as well.  they sell it as 46% value added content over separate, so you're pretty much spot on with the start collecting analogy.

I think if it's a double width large box format the defacto price point is now that soulwars / blackstone / dark millenium price point.

I'm sure that karanak on his own will have a ludicrous rrp when he's released as a solo pack.

If you can find someone to split it with, this set is much better than a Start collecting. I imagine Karanak will be £25 and the Fleshhounds will also be £25; the fiends will probably be £35, and the harpist £20-25 (she has a large spru). This means you save about £14 over a SC  and get new models to boot, plus some specials in the box.

One thing I do find odd from a rules sense (but not in 40k), is that they chose two gods that can't ally. I totally get why Slaanesh and Khorne are fighting in the lore, but it's a shame for people who want to buy the full set to themselves for AoS. 

from the other side however, by giving two opposing factions you have a contained starter box which two people can face off against each other with.

I'm sure on the back of this the two factions will be getting their big 100 pound box at some point or maybe at the end of next year.

There might well be a short run start collecting style faction box as well at at some point just like they did with the original AoS starter set sides.

16 minutes ago, Saiken said:

Off-Topic ... but ... £20 for the Noise Marine ?

not saying it's even vaguely a good deal but that does seem to be the standard price point for limited edition style one off models that, I presume, come in more packaging than they need (see ltd edition Bladegheist etc etc).

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

One thing I do find odd from a rules sense (but not in 40k), is that they chose two gods that can't ally. 

Primarily I think they did it for theme reasons. 

Maybe a slight "difficult to get one army out of the box" for AoS. But in 40k I will be able to run them as part of a separate force. 

Orbthey want folks to buy one each and trade halves. Good for the Slaanesh player, a small waste for the Khornite.

4 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

the defacto price point is now that soulwars / blackstone / dark millenium price point.

I remember when starter boxes were under $100 for more models. Gasoline was $1.10 per gallon, comics were 75 cents, and you could get a decent car for $7000. 

Why I tell ya, back in my day we had models made of lead with no details to speak of and we were happy about it, dad gummit.

Taxi and Welcome Back Kotter were good TV and racist Archie Bunker was prime time gold.

Kids today and their complaining about prices, by golly, it's enough to make an old codger pine for the times when you got a random model in a blister back and were grateful that it was at least from your favorite army.

(For those wondering, that was an attempt at humor.)

Lets not forget that many core game boxes are "loss leader" type products; whilst the duel army boxes are more of a discount starting boxed set aimed at expanding one or two armies iwth new models without GW releasing them on their own. I think they are an experiment for GW in releasing new models without a big codex drop. So instead of just releasing 2 models at random they bundle them into a boxed set.

It kind of works and it kind of doesnt and I think it relies on the second hand market a bit too much because not everyone wants both armies.

32 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I remember when starter boxes were under $100 for more models. Gasoline was $1.10 per gallon, comics were 75 cents, and you could get a decent car for $7000. 

Why I tell ya, back in my day we had models made of lead with no details to speak of and we were happy about it, dad gummit.

Taxi and Welcome Back Kotter were good TV and racist Archie Bunker was prime time gold.

Kids today and their complaining about prices, by golly, it's enough to make an old codger pine for the times when you got a random model in a blister back and were grateful that it was at least from your favorite army.

(For those wondering, that was an attempt at humor.)

I hear ya brudder! yup and even back then the cost was mental.  You could no way build the army you had now at '89 prices. (most of you weren't born then I'll grant thee.) *wanders off muttering about remembering when the internet was fields*

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

Lets not forget that many core game boxes are "loss leader" type products; whilst the duel army boxes are more of a discount starting boxed set aimed at expanding one or two armies iwth new models without GW releasing them on their own. I think they are an experiment for GW in releasing new models without a big codex drop. So instead of just releasing 2 models at random they bundle them into a boxed set.

It kind of works and it kind of doesnt and I think it relies on the second hand market a bit too much because not everyone wants both armies.

I don't think that's the intention.  The start collecting boxes are more like a get hooked set,   It's a mix of an impressive model a hero and some stuff to make up the numbers.

Look at W&R  as a great way to introduce new models, advance a story line and add a little fun in there,   If they released all this stuff separately someone would bleat about the fact that they could have put it all in a start collecting box or offered a cost saving option.

Being around since the first time around, I like the fact that they've tried to recapture the Realm of Chaos ; Slaves to Darkness vibe.

Two mortal enemies in one box to face off against each other. and of course for you there's the chance you might want to start another army or two or three.

I prefer this method to be fair over a codex drop, in the sense that I remember fantasy where we were waiting 4 years for an army book and that's if you were a popular army.  Beasts hadn't got an update in 10 years and brets died with the demise of the system, the faithful having waited 15 years  for even a scrap from the GW table. And as for elves...well, they can just go shove it, the over privileged pointy eared daddy's boys that they all were.

I'd rather see this sort of narrative release and a tome dropping as necessary to consolidate the story and the scrolls when the time comes.  It also helps GW concentrate on maybe. hopefully some of the much more needed tomes that require writing such as the destruction factions etc. :)

Archived