Wrath and Rapture

2 hours ago, tom_gore said:

My guess is also the Enrapturess is too much for your average teen - not that teens play miniature wargames that much.

In a poll over on Dakka that I ran for a little while the average age for getting into the hobby was in the 10-18 bracket. The teenage market is probable the most important market for GW. Not because teens spend more, but because teens that you hook early are more likely to become gamer adults. Gamer adults with bigger budgets to spend on the hobby; to organise events and run clubs; to promote and push the game forward. 

So the teenage market is possibly GW's most important market to retain. Also, unlike a lot of other hobbies, I think GW more than most, realises that they must continue to recruit new young blood in a big way. If they fail to do that then they run the risk of generation gaps - ergo big drops in spending when adults hit milestones such as getting married, kids and moving on with other things in life. GW doesn't want to end up with a continually ageing fanbase. Plus once you've got a fanbase that is all older adults it becomes increasingly harder to attract younger generations to join in. 

That said teenagers are already playing loads of violent video games and likely see way more mature TV than we ever did. So on the one hand they are younger, but on the other they are likely more than used to cartoon style violence and presentation. And there's an important part - the GW paint schemes often reach closer to cartoon than to realism with the way they paint. 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Overread said:

I think GW more than most, realises that they must continue to recruit new young blood in a big way. I

For several decades GW has trained their sales teams (retail and trade) that their customers are "14 year old boys" and that "new customers are our life's blood."

Our head of Trade (when I was in their sales department) said we new there were older gamers, but always stay focused on the new 14 year old boy. The veteran has everything they need, but every new gamer was a $500 sale that year.

See that sales mantra sounds a little on the extreme side - the adult gamer doesn't have everything they need, they just need to be encouraged to start that new army that they've always wanted to make ;)

That said I do agree, the lifebood is youth. Youth are far more likely to be new gamers whilst older people are less likely to walk into a GW store and just start and army; those who do tend to be those who were young gamers and had some time away and came back. 

Sure, young people are needed, but when I look at the local club I hardly see any guys under twenty. There's so much stuff for a teenager to do today. Competition on their free time (and money!) is fierce.

Anyhow. As a veteran wargamer who has seen a lot of weird stuff, even I thought the Enrapturess is a pretty sick model for a GW product :) Just look at it (from event photos as you can't do it on the store website).

I wouldn't say they went back, they've just kept in keeping. Also don't forget the Fiend is actually a hermapheradite. It has ****** only upon one half of its body - the other is male. It's actually less than original metals which were I think  alll ******

Seeing that by the age of 14 your average horrible little human male has probably already watched about 50 terabytes worth of hi-res, hardcore grumble, I kind of love the idea that they can have still have their innocence destroyed and fragile minds corrupted by a 3 inch piece of plastic.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I wouldn't say they went back, they've just kept in keeping. Also don't forget the Fiend is actually a hermapheradite. It has ****** only upon one half of its body - the other is male. It's actually less than original metals which were I think  alll ******

Could have covered them up.   Maybe GW's audience gets off on it.  Who knows.

6 hours ago, Overread said:

That said teenagers are already playing loads of violent video games and likely see way more mature TV than we ever did. So on the one hand they are younger, but on the other they are likely more than used to cartoon style violence and presentation. And there's an important part - the GW paint schemes often reach closer to cartoon than to realism with the way they paint. 

Yep. I started with the GW stuff when I was 15. I had both of the Realms of Chaos books, parental warnings and all. The notions of planetary destruction, virus bombs, and demonic tortures were ones that we all were aware of reading up on the background. As teenagers we could contextualize it pretty well. It was all part of an intense universe, but not one we wanted anymore to do with than be tourists to via our gaming and hobby.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:52 AM, chord said:

As somebody with a Daughter I am disappointed they went back to these type of models for slaneesh.    There are other ways to make models for Slaneesh other than rows of b*****s

I'm sorry, but as somebody else with a daughter, I can confirm that she doesn't care that the models have sexualized elements; she just thinks they're cool looking. But not as cool as Tzeentch, "because birbs".

I've always approached subjects like this with no-nonsense objectivity. It'd be a bit hypocritical to gasp in horror at plastic ladybumps, when we see marble and oil-painted ones every time we go to the museum or an art gallery, and far more overtly sexualized imagery in women's magazines... I don't know, maybe you have a different outlook, but to me chest anatomy is just biology and no more offensive than a tree.

That said, they ARE exploring the other aspects of Slaanesh; the enrapturess doesn't have any sexual vibe at all.

6 hours ago, chord said:

As somebody with a Daughter I am disappointed they went back to these type of models for slaneesh.    There are other ways to make models for Slaneesh other than rows of b*****s

Don't worry, bud. I have it on good authority that the Fiend just has pure, safe male nipples attached to those b-words (seriously with the word filter?). Your daughter and mainly you have nothing to fear!

Slaanesh is almost guaranteed to get a new demon considering that its currently still the finecast model that is significantly smaller than the others. After that its impossible to guess what GW could or might release.

Khorne is a bit harder because they've had a fair bit of new things over the years compared to Slaanesh. 

59 minutes ago, will pollock said:

Slightly off topic but do you all think khorne and slaanesh will get battletomes and more models outside of wrath and rapture?

I highly doubt we'll see Khorne 2.0 before 2020 or in other words, before all other chaos factions got their book (Darkoath/StD/Everchosen mashup, Skaven, Slaanesh)

On 12/17/2018 at 8:52 AM, chord said:

Lots of people with daughters don't care about the models of plastic daemonic toys.  Me included.  Wow what a joke.

Archived