Wrath and Rapture

so... Wrath and rapture... 

Are we going to see a nice harkening back to the original realm of chaos book 1  - knorne vs slaansesh?

Will it herald the slaanesh return?

Will we see a lovely campaign lead up a la malign portents?

I'm quite excited - it's like being back in my childhood staring at the original Realm of chaos book all over again :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/30/breaking-previews-and-reveals-from-novagw-homepage-post-1/

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's curious is that most were convinced that Slaanesh's return - at least in the realms of Sigmar - was going to be the result of some major interaction with Morathi and Daughters of Khaine (since she is the one who has weakened the imprisoning spell that cages the price of excess) 

Really excited for this!

That said, I agree with @Overread in that I though Slaanesh would be more involved with aelves rather than Khorne. Not that it doesn't have a longstanding hatred of Khorne, but rather the narrative seems to be much more geared towards fighting the aelves in the realm of shadow. Maybe the mortals are in the realm of shadow, and the daemons are trying to defend their weakened home turf.  

Great little preview, great voice acting. Seeing as they've put so much emphasis on the retro logo, the system-agnostic Slaves to Darkness style, it seems reasonable to presume that this targeted at both 40k and AoS players, like most daemon stuff.  It could in some way be tied into the rumoured 40k World Eaters and Emperor's Children update for 40k and the big 40k  plot stuff mentioned at Nova, down the line.

Curious thing is how they'll make Slaanesh's 'return' fit both, in a multiversal way. In AoS Slaanesh is tied up by Tyrion and Teclis but in 40k, they never went away. It'll be the finest balancing act since Liber Chaotica, if it works.

So, model-wise... daemonettes and new fiends vs bloodletters, juggernauts and new flesh hounds?

36 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Really excited for this!

That said, I agree with @Overread in that I though Slaanesh would be more involved with aelves rather than Khorne. Not that it doesn't have a longstanding hatred of Khorne, but rather the narrative seems to be much more geared towards fighting the aelves in the realm of shadow. Maybe the mortals are in the realm of shadow, and the daemons are trying to defend their weakened home turf.  

Khoren/slaanesh combi allows for a dual release for both 40k and Aos, providing direly needed plastic versions as well as allowing the legion updates for WE and EC with their primarcs - from a release standpoint a clever choice, for the fluff we have to wait and see, if they do the box than khorne and then slaanesh followed by elves its still possible to link elves and the pleasure princes

20 minutes ago, novakai said:

according to people at Nova though, it seems that there isn't a new Primarch in the near future though

which is kinda dissapointing - but if they are to come later than early December, we would have been more than lucky to see even a tiny teaser right now. 

14 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@Overread @Enoby

The war between daemons of Slannesh and khorne takes place in the realm of chaos, and has nothing to do with Slanneshs prison as that is located in the mortal realms. 

Exactly this. People have seen Slaanesh and assumed he/she’s back but that is completely unnecessary to any kind of release.

Maybe he/she will return but maybe it’s just his/her Daemons doing their own thing. Which they have been doing all along anyway.

This release could well be the next step in the Slaanesh story arc, rather than its resolution. We've seen it before with Storm of Chaos, Gathering Storm and Malign Portents how GW can tease out a new arc over a long period before the big reveal.

In terms of updated minis I'd say there  will probably be a new special character or alternative herald on each side leading two forces of existing minis. It'd be relatively cheap to do and not too much of a distraction from other releases. Fiends, flesh hounds and heralds are all classic RoC era units currently in finecast in need of a plastic update, but I'm not sure they'd throw that much extra effort at one of the best supported lines right now (Khorne) or pre-empt the main Slaanesh release to that extent.

What I'd love it to be  is a Rogue Trader style box of really chaotic, RoC style minis to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original book, complete with proper warband rules with d1000 tables of mutations. But it won't be that.

Don't think Slaanesh is returning per se. I can see the faction getting invigorated by some new stuff, and its followers acting on something or other, but I don't think Slaanesh is escaping any time soon. They will be keeping Him/Her/It under wraps for a long time, at least a year, most likely longer, if only for commercial reasons. Once that Jak is out of the Box a huge part of the AOS narrative is resolved. They need to keep it going.

I think the Slannesh daemons will be making their final defences against the daemons of khorne (who will no doubt be taking advantage of the absence of slannesh). While backed by their god, the daemons of khorne will be dominating against the daemons of slannesh while in the realm of chaos. 

Alternatively the daemons of khorne are using the daemons of slannesh as sport, and aren’t really aiming to finish them off. 

Maybe a mix of both. I guess that technically without the presence of slannesh, khorne could just end the daemons of slannesh. So perhaps although he desires an end of slannesh in the realm of chaos, as the god of violence, blood and skulls - he prefers to adopt a particular means of doing so - war. 

Either way, slannesh will escape the mortal realms soon. 

I thinks it's going to be a big book for Khorne and Slaanesh daemons in AOS (and / or maybe 40k too ? But Realm of Chaos have the daemons codex and no 40k logo on the NOVA article). 

With maybe a new boxed set, but surely new Chaos Daemons models : 

- Khorne Flesh Hounds (per attached pic and old rumors)

- Slaanesh Fiends (per attached pic)

1341767399_HoundsvsFiends.png.599d59172351c96c192b67d959d4018d.png

- Slaanesh Keeper Of Secret & N'kari (per old rumors*)

*like a new and not so old rumor from Lady Asia : 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3240  

etc. 

Between that and Blackstone, I'm quite pretty excited :'D 

What if they make a diminished dark prince god model  ala Nagash, Alarielle- who powers up via a *Release the shackles* mechanic  and has a slaanesh unit summon mechanic similar to Allarielle representing the demonic spirits oozing out of her/him.  Would be pretty wicked me thinks

9 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

What if they make a diminished dark prince god model  ala Nagash, Alarielle- who powers up via a *Release the shackles* mechanic  and has a slaanesh unit summon mechanic similar to Allarielle representing the demonic spirits oozing out of her/him.  Would be pretty wicked me thinks

I kinda feel like that’s what the Greater Daemons are for but I would love to see one with that sort of theme. Even if Slaanesh doesn’t get released it still fits the bondage vibe they’ve got going on.

8 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Nah, I think the core book rather explicitly states that the Chaos Gods cannot exist in the mortal realms. I can try confirming when I get home later today.

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Also Slannesh is currently imprisoned in the mortal realms. 

Ah, not quite. S/he's being held in the Gloaming, somewhere between Ulgu and Hysh. Nice loophole, innit?

Also, found the quote in the Core rules (p. 154):

The Gods of Chaos cannot lead their legions in person, no more than fire or starlight can command the multitudes of the realms. Neither can their daemonic generals take physical form over the long term, for they are creatures of magic, and their connection to the material plane can wax and wane depending on place and circumstances.

9 hours ago, Yokai said:

Nah, I think the core book rather explicitly states that the Chaos Gods cannot exist in the mortal realms. I can try confirming when I get home later today.

Plus I'm pretty sure they would make Sigmar an actual model before the chaos gods!

And IMO there would be something....disappointing about an actual physical representation of the gods. It would kind of ruin their mysterious aura. I like how there is no 100% "this is what they look like" picture. It would make them feel mundane (to me anyways). It is a bit like Lovecraft Gods. They are suppose to be indescribable, making people go mad just trying to comprehend them.

But now we literally have Cthulhu plush dolls. Ol Squid Face doesn't look all that intimidating anymore.

Now please give me more Daemon Primarchs though! I want Codex Iron Warriors!

Archived