Why didn't Archaon's mount have a Slaanesh head? Furthermore, to what extent does lore dictate design?

Enoby

18 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Lore wise,  Dhorgar is the same horse Archaon always had.  The Chaos Gods were getting worried about Archaon becoming too powerful so they each sent a champion after him.  Archaon defeated the champions and Dhorgar ate them, sprouting a head for each.   Slaneesh is busy, so did not send a champion against Archaon

If he did, then with what? he has 3 heads now and they are all of the 3 champions?

13 minutes ago, Durant said:

If he did, then with what? he has 3 heads now and they are all of the 3 champions?

Dorghar is a shapeshifting daemon steed. During the battle between  in which Archaon tamed (ish) Dorghar it changed in many ways. So his original heal was that of a horse. 

Btw the champions were greater daemons.

2 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Yeah I see what you mean.

Not sure it’s got much to do with Slanneshs standing amoung the chaotic siblings, and more to do with the battle with the greater daemons. Although saying that, the very fact Slannesh chose not to send a representative against Archaon might point towards a difference in goals.

Maybe the fact Slannesh didn’t send a rep, was because Slannesh loves arrogance of Archaon in seeking not just the end of the world, but the gods themselves. So you could say that the fact there is no Slannesh head on Dorghar, means that it’s actually Slannesh who provides Archaon the most backing ???

The paradoxes created by the Choas Gods are known only to the Chaos Gods. I remember eber reading Liber Chaotica, it mentioned that trying to simply make sense or understand the Nature of the Chaos Gods was enough to drive a mortal insane...i believe this more than ever.  That or when Gw drop the Slaanesh plotline we’ll all shrug and say “ohh, of course” ... or “oh god why?”.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:35 PM, Enoby said:

Before beginning, I would like to make clear that I know the lore reason as to why Archaon's mount does not have a Slaaneshi head. I am curious about the meta reasons for the decision, not the in universe reason

Current leader of the pack for worst misuse of "meta."

Pretty soon I'll be at a restaurant and the waiter will ask what salad dressing I prefer in the current dinner meta.

?? 

To answer the question, I think it's a much more simple thing. I think some designer wanted to put Archaon on a Chimera. The most generally well-known image of that monster in modern fantasy gaming is a three headed beast. 

They went with that, and then boosted the looks up to an appropriately AoS 11. Job done.

Lastly, DLC won't add a head in AoS. It's a physical game, not a video game.

9 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Current leader of the pack for worst misuse of "meta."

Pretty soon I'll be at a restaurant and the waiter will ask what salad dressing I prefer in the current dinner meta.

Haha, I meant 'meta' as in 'from outside' rather than a competitive sense - as in, 'from outside of the lore' :P

To be honest I wish his model was smaller with his steed looking more like a evil black dragon/horse. Like Dorghar had evolved rather than completely become something unrecognizable. I get why they did it and it looks cool but I think its too much imho. 

I think 4 heads would have cluttered the model too much, 3 is about the max unless it's like a hydra or something. Rulewise and art wise I dont think they were one hundred percent on how they wanted slannesh to be redesigned which I believe is what we will see in the future, not a total overhaul but some new design directions

On 8/30/2018 at 6:45 PM, sorokyl said:

Lore wise,  Dhorgar is the same horse Archaon always had.  The Chaos Gods were getting worried about Archaon becoming too powerful so they each sent a champion after him.  Archaon defeated the champions and Dhorgar ate them, sprouting a head for each.   Slaneesh is busy, so did not send a champion against Archaon

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

To answer the question, I think it's a much more simple thing. I think some designer wanted to put Archaon on a Chimera. The most generally well-known image of that monster in modern fantasy gaming is a three headed beast. 

They went with that, and then boosted the looks up to an appropriately AoS 11. Job done.

Lastly, DLC won't add a head in AoS. It's a physical game, not a video game.

We are done here, next thread.

My gut instinct is that putting a Slaanesh head on the mini would have given the game away about what direction they're planning on taking with the new Keeper of Secrets. We know it's about a two year process to get minis out in the world so they were probably already working on the design of them but having the others either already available or further along the process and not really redefining their look was quite easy. Couple that with the fact that 3 heads stylistically works much better than four ever could and I think it meant they could honour the existing lore, keep their intentions with the Slaanesh Greater Daemon a secret and get a mini out that worked. 

The question it throws up is what will the head options be like on the new Keeper as a result? The design of the GW heads for current Keepers are very different from FWs for example. Also, imagine how much complaining there would have been if they had put an amazing new Keeper head on there but were still at this point using the very dated old Baby Greater Daemon mini. Now they've made that choice I think it will be interesting how Archaon and Slaanesh interact once returned. Perhaps Archaon will free Slaanesh and create an interesting dynamic

2 hours ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

My gut instinct is that putting a Slaanesh head on the mini would have given the game away about what direction they're planning on taking with the new Keeper of Secrets. We know it's about a two year process to get minis out in the world so they were probably already working on the design of them but having the others either already available or further along the process and not really redefining their look was quite easy. Couple that with the fact that 3 heads stylistically works much better than four ever could and I think it meant they could honour the existing lore, keep their intentions with the Slaanesh Greater Daemon a secret and get a mini out that worked. 

The question it throws up is what will the head options be like on the new Keeper as a result? The design of the GW heads for current Keepers are very different from FWs for example. Also, imagine how much complaining there would have been if they had put an amazing new Keeper head on there but were still at this point using the very dated old Baby Greater Daemon mini. Now they've made that choice I think it will be interesting how Archaon and Slaanesh interact once returned. Perhaps Archaon will free Slaanesh and create an interesting dynamic

yaeh, nope. when archaon came out we didn't have neither the big Bird nor the GUo. Following your estimation of a two year production cycle, and that the Big bird came out the year after Archaon, the GUO even two years later, that would mean, that when archaon was done designewise the BB was just in early stages of concept designe. The GUO wouldn't even have been in development. 

Slaanesh missing is due to the simple fact that GW under Kirby didn't know what to due with her and seriously considered to leaf her out entirely, as ssen at the beginning of AoS. As I already said.

Archived