The Ultimate guide to High Aelves in AoS2

Crono

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Is it just me or is Eldritch Council much better now with Endless spells and allies in the game ? You've got the Endless spells to give our Wizards more punch and allies means we can actually get some shooting or cavalry in the force 

I think that even with Endless spells (that are good) EC still have a hard time composing an army other than mixed order or be used as allies.  I think it would lack both punch and speed to get to the enemy before the Swordmasters are mowed down.

On 2k points 3 battleline of Swordmasters are really expensive (740 if you go 30/10/10) 1 of each mage would take you to 1600 with room for 2 allies/ Endless spells.

Doable but i dont think it can play well.

13 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I think that even with Endless spells (that are good) EC still have a hard time composing an army other than mixed order or be used as allies.  I think it would lack both punch and speed to get to the enemy before the Swordmasters are mowed down.

On 2k points 3 battleline of Swordmasters are really expensive (740 if you go 30/10/10) 1 of each mage would take you to 1600 with room for 2 allies/ Endless spells.

Doable but i dont think it can play well.

I dont expect them to be particularly competetive ( no non battletome force is really tbh) but I'd say they've definitely had a buff.

I mean my 1000 pt list is pretty simple.

Loremaster General w/phoneix stone and inspiring 

Archmage 

2 x20 Swordmasters

Celestar Ballista

Quicksilver swords.

Loremaster and Archmage buff a unit, the other unit goes for the objective whilst the artillery hits anything and the quicksilver goes for monsters.

Hey guys

I've been playing 40k for a while but WHF High Elves were my first hobby love (even though I never had the patience or money to get a full army together as a kid). Now I'm considering getting into AoS and would like some feedback on the following list

Allegiance: Order
Dragonlord, horn and lance
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Archmage

3x10 Namarti Thralls

3x5 Dragon Blades
20 Phoenix Guard

Dragonlord Host battalion
Total: 1970pts

If Reavers were still available I'd use those for Battleline instead of the Namarti, but for some inexplicable reason they're not (darn it GW...). Still the Namarti are beautiful models and I figure with a matching paint job they could pass for high elves. 

General gameplan would be let the Phoenix guard hold the middle while the Dragonhost smashes up a flank. The Namarti can hold objectives and are quite killy if they get into melee.  Is there any downside to putting the Archmage on a steed? As far as I can tell it just makes him move further for no additional points cost. 

It would be nice to get some more shooting and magic in there for that proper high elf-feeling, but I can't quite squeeze it in. One option would be dropping the battalion and one unit of Dragon Blades for a Drakeseer. Would give me some more MW output and another big monster at the cost of some Order Draconis synergy. Would 20-30 Glade Guard be a viable addition for some shooting power?

2 hours ago, Ceranidian said:

Hey guys

I've been playing 40k for a while but WHF High Elves were my first hobby love (even though I never had the patience or money to get a full army together as a kid). Now I'm considering getting into AoS and would like some feedback on the following list

Allegiance: Order
Dragonlord, horn and lance
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Archmage

3x10 Namarti Thralls

3x5 Dragon Blades
20 Phoenix Guard

Dragonlord Host battalion
Total: 1970pts

If Reavers were still available I'd use those for Battleline instead of the Namarti, but for some inexplicable reason they're not (darn it GW...). Still the Namarti are beautiful models and I figure with a matching paint job they could pass for high elves. 

General gameplan would be let the Phoenix guard hold the middle while the Dragonhost smashes up a flank. The Namarti can hold objectives and are quite killy if they get into melee.  Is there any downside to putting the Archmage on a steed? As far as I can tell it just makes him move further for no additional points cost. 

It would be nice to get some more shooting and magic in there for that proper high elf-feeling, but I can't quite squeeze it in. One option would be dropping the battalion and one unit of Dragon Blades for a Drakeseer. Would give me some more MW output and another big monster at the cost of some Order Draconis synergy. Would 20-30 Glade Guard be a viable addition for some shooting power?

The list is quite solid. Reavers are still usable and avaiable on ebay. Not hard to find really.

I wouldnt go for Drakeseer, to much cost and not much return on your config.

There is no disavantage on the Archmages horse. With a fast moving army, go with it! Also i think you wont need much more magic, the archmage will do fine. Dont forget the enemy spells in range also buff your phoenix, not just yours!

Yeah, started browsing eBay and noticed Reavers were not that hard to find. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to look there initially. Will be great to have a mobile battleline of shooty high elves; ticks all the boxes for me! 

Thanks for the feedback as well, glad to know I'm on the right track!

While I'm at it, what's the general consensus on Spireguard? I always thought Lothern Seaguard were super cool, so if it's viable to field them in AoS I'd be interested to know! 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1K game coming up this weekend and it will be my first game of AoS.  My goal is to bring an Eldritch Council army. I know it probably won't be the strongest army, but I would love to have some input from more experienced members. 

My thoughts are:

3 x10 swordmasters

10 Sisters of the Watch

2 Archmages

Quick Silver Swords

Emerald Life Swarm

Chronomantic Cogs

It comes to 1K exactly. 

What are your thoughts? 

I would like a frostheart, but it exceeds the points limit for allies, but I think the sisters should be a great support unit. 

12 hours ago, Lavieth said:

I have a 1K game coming up this weekend and it will be my first game of AoS.  My goal is to bring an Eldritch Council army. I know it probably won't be the strongest army, but I would love to have some input from more experienced members. 

My thoughts are:

3 x10 swordmasters

10 Sisters of the Watch

2 Archmages

Quick Silver Swords

Emerald Life Swarm

Chronomantic Cogs

It comes to 1K exactly. 

What are your thoughts? 

I would like a frostheart, but it exceeds the points limit for allies, but I think the sisters should be a great support unit. 

Not sure about the three endless spells.   Maybe try to fit a darkeseer in. Gives you a monster and is still in your allegiance. 

7 minutes ago, chord said:

Not sure about the three endless spells.   Maybe try to fit a darkeseer in. Gives you a monster and is still in your allegiance. 

To fit in the Drakeseer, I would be dropping the endless spells and 1 unit of Swordmasters. 

Do you think that will be enough? I could always drop 1 of the archmages to keep 2 of the spells (emerald/swords or emerald/geminids). By doing that I can atleast give the monster a way to either heal or be at -1 to hit. 

With the release of a FeC X Skaven box (and possibly new Battletomes for both) , how do you guys think Gw is going to adress the current Elven line?

I keep thinking, the only Battleline we got is Reavers, and they are no longer produced ( the mixed sprues with Skaven wont help)  High Warden,  Seaguard  and "modern" Swordmasters share the same issue.

That leaves us without choices unless sub faction specific models became Battlelines ( Shadow warriors, Swordmasters, Dragon Blades and Phoenix Guard).

I do not belive we would get new models with the exception of Endeless Spells. What is your take on it?

Just finished up the Teclis and Tyrion Omnibus and it feels rather sad that I can't play as high elves in AoS. Wiliam King did a wonderful work.

I feel that at best we might get a battle tome with different battalions that will make a playable army out of what's relatively modern models, however, at the moment it seems elves are the last on the GW's "to do" list. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking to get into AOS in more than the narrative essay on have been playing.

I have a frostheart pheonix and 20 pheonix guard. I'm guessing that this forms the "screen" of an aelves list and can soak a charge or two.

I don't have a dragon Lord (on my wish list). I guess that makes my 10 Dragon blades less optimal (can take a dragon Noble).

For battle line I was going to go with reavers (i have 3 *5).

I have sizeable dark elf and high elf armies from Warhammer / ninth age, so there aren't many options I don't have, but I also don't have huge numbers of any unit (only 20-25 of the elite elves, but one unit of each). I was thinking one of the variety of 2 handed weapons (I have 20 swordmasters, 30 executioners) but they seem expensive per model.

Seeking opinions on what works well (1500 pts I guess) and how to use particular units?

Going for a small tornament with my Elf list:

Heroes

Frostheart Phoenix  (general)

Master of Defese - Ignax scales

Archmage on horse

Battlelines

Reavers x 5

Reavers x 5

Other

Phoenix Guard x 30

Sisters of the Thorn x5

Will post results on monday!

Ok my Small battle report:

First game:  hold 4 objective out of 4 or wipe the enemy: I fought Clan Pestilens.

This oponent is quite a fun guy to play. We laughted a lot from our terrible rolls. Phoenix was the Mvp, soloing a block of 40 Plague monks on a choque point, since it got acidentaly buffed by my enemy. I had cast booth archmage bubble and shield of Thorns on the Phoenix, and he casted 3 spells nearby. My save became insane and Frosty kicked ass.

I also had a good luck on the Reavers shots on support. Phoenix Guard made a wall to hold another pack of plague monks that charged on me. I took heavy losses but they held the line.

I got 3 out of 4 objectives but killed more points and got a minor victory.

Second Game: Hold 2 objectives for points. Oponent was Arkhan + Nighthaunt.

My oponent was a begginer and made the mistake of trying to Wipe me and i went for the goals.  Phoenix Raced to Arkhan, and my opponent casted all he got on Frosty, giving me massive defenses. I got 2 points first turn, he got 0. Second turn i got 3 and he got 3 so i took  a Major win with points.

Reavers were useless and Frosty and mages were mvp here.

Arkhan unbid most of my spells but i also got really luck on my unbinds so i could hold off his curses. Great match for both of us, was really balanced.

Third Game: 6 objectives , 3 on each side and you can burn the enemy ones for d3 points. Oponent was Seraphon.

This match was a disaster. His Slaan was pretty much inacessible with the terrain and his constant  spam of teleporting  skinks made the game impossible for me to win.  That plus the worse luck ever on Frosty attacks (0 damage on a full health Phoenix) sealed the deal.

Event tho i used non Bt units, summoning armies are kinda Bs. This match was boring for both of us and i conceded, since all i did was lose objectives for skink spam and making a wooping 5 dmg in 3 turns. I had enough and took as defeat just to stop the match.

Overall was a fun event and i think i did well for a mixed Aelven force.

• 4 weeks later...

So High Elves are going to be my next love in AoS, mainly because of Warhammer Total War 2. I'm going to be playing with some Compendium units, so these will be primarily for casual games and any events that allow compendium (I believe the GW heats do). 

Here's my first list I'm going to be playing around with in casuals

Dragonlord, Lance & Shield, Ethereal Amulet, Legendary Fighter 
Seawarden on Foot, Seadrake Pendant
Loremaster
Archmage

30 Highborn Spearmen
10 Highborn Spearmen
10 Highborn Spearmen
30 Highborn Archers 
20 Swordmasters

2 x Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower

The list comes in at 1940 for a good shot at getting a triumph and starting with a CP. Certainly not going to blow anything out the water but it has a few great things inside it! The dragonlord for his points is a bit of a boss and can really tear things up, as well as being survivable with the amulet. The seawarden with pendant is fantastic and will hang around with my archers and bolt throwers giving them that sweet +1 to wound bubble. Lore master for his fantastic spell, which can really make the dragonlord or bolt throwers shred through things. The archmage will hang around with the swordmasters, increasing the bravery and putting the bubble of 6+ DPR.

Unit wise the Spearmen are there to fill out the battleline, the one unit of 30 makes use of the bonus to attack roll and the other 2 fill the battleline, The 30 archers can be fully deadly with there once per game double shots and the seawardens command ability! They provide some decent range poke and are super iconic. The swordmasters provide some reliable rend, on 3&3s re-rolling 1s with a good chunk of attacks. The bolt throwers have great range and are reliable on 4 & 2s with the  Sea Warden on foot near by. 

This is purely a massive hobby project, and done out of love for the world that was. I cannot wait to throw it down on the table!

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

@AaronWIlson ahh sadly most of what I have are troops/chariots/cavalry so no Seawarden. Good luck on your hunt! :)

Think it's going to be a real pain to hunt down, as it's a model that came with the skycutter kit as a option to build seperately. I've gone a model with a banner and shield which will work for it as it stands anyhow, but would be nice to nail down the official model. 

Archived