The Ultimate guide to High Aelves in AoS2

Crono

Put together a hybrid mixed order list, idea is to work off the wanderer and phoenix guard synergies with some different fun aelf units thrown in, do people think this might be workable?

LEADERS

Dragonlord 

Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix  

Spellweaver   

Waywatcher 

UNITS

10 x Phoenix Guard  

10 x Freeguild Guard  

10 x Glade Guard 

20 x Sisters of the Watch

5 x Reavers 

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard 

BEHEMOTHS

War Hydra 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

Put together a hybrid mixed order list, idea is to work off the wanderer and phoenix guard synergies with some different fun aelf units thrown in, do people think this might be workable?

LEADERS

Dragonlord 

Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix  

Spellweaver   

Waywatcher 

UNITS

10 x Phoenix Guard  

10 x Freeguild Guard  

10 x Glade Guard 

20 x Sisters of the Watch

5 x Reavers 

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard 

BEHEMOTHS

War Hydra 

I think your list is spread too thin.

By no means it cannot work, but it seen to lack focus. For example, the 10 phoenix guard. I think it is a small block to make this unit shine.

How do you see it beeing played? What is your strategy to make the list work?

6 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

I think your list is spread too thin.

By no means it cannot work, but it seen to lack focus. For example, the 10 phoenix guard. I think it is a small block to make this unit shine.

How do you see it beeing played? What is your strategy to make the list work?

Yeah, it's difficult for me to make a list that isn't spread too thin because of my desire to include as many cool models as possible. My lists are about 75% based on what models I think are neat and 25% trying to do something strategically viable.

I see the war hydra, phoenix guard and dragonlord forming a tough roadblock to hold up my opponent whilst the waywatcher/SOTW/Gladeguard combo shoot from afar screened by chaff. Meanwhile the little units of eels and reavers zip around taking objectives and attacking opportunistically. My hope is that with some big monsters and fast little units that punch above their weight I can keep the opponent engaged and distracted whilst those archers do their work. 

Would I be better off losing the war hydra for a bigger block of phoenix guard?

• LOVE IT! 1

I love your approach, however I am also just another casual player and I have only lost to my opponents. ?

I would however try to find a replacement for the Glade Guard - the fact that they are hitting and wounding on 4+ often means that they just wont get a single wound through an opponent with a 4+ Save. I am not sure if you would like to bring 20 Glade Guard to get the 3+ to hit with them. As another Wanderer Player once put it, the Glade Guard are like a gentle rain - nothing more. The Models are cool though! ^^ But I guess I just wanted to say that one shoud not expect too much from them in a unit of 10.

However by dropping the Glade Guard you would need another Battleline Unit I think.  Perhaps you could have a look at Darkling Coven Dreadspears or Bleakswords? The Models are intimadating and beautiful and both cost 100 Points. You could even add the Quicksilver Swords Endless Spell. 

The Hydra is fine I think - it would certainly sacre me ^^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I love your approach, however I am also just another casual player and I have only lost to my opponents. ?

I would however try to find a replacement for the Glade Guard - the fact that they are hitting and wounding on 4+ often means that they just wont get a single wound through an opponent with a 4+ Save. I am not sure if you would like to bring 20 Glade Guard to get the 3+ to hit with them. As another Wanderer Player once put it, the Glade Guard are like a gentle rain - nothing more. The Models are cool though! ^^ But I guess I just wanted to say that one shoud not expect too much from them in a unit of 10.

However by dropping the Glade Guard you would need another Battleline Unit I think.  Perhaps you could have a look at Darkling Coven Dreadspears or Bleakswords? The Models are intimadating and beautiful and both cost 100 Points. You could even add the Quicksilver Swords Endless Spell. 

The Hydra is fine I think - it would certainly sacre me ^^

I think you're probably right, GG's seem to be one of those units where you need to either take 30 of them or none at all, and taking 30 of them would just push too many other more interesting models out of the list.

Hello there fellow Elf players.

I am having a lot of problems to mix and match my High Elfs.

What i got:

-20 Swordmaster

-15 Reavers

-10 seaguards

-2 Dragons (magnetized)

-10 Dragonblades

-50 Phoenix Guard

-2 Ice phoenix 1 fire

-2 Archmage

-1 Loremaster

-40 Glade Guard

-1 High Warden

-1 Skycutter

- 5 Sisters of the Thorn

I got a good Phoenix Temple Army, and an ok Order Draconis (smaller army), but i am having trouble with making a mixed Order army.  Reavers and Glade Guard seen like innefective units and i would really like to mix Swordmasters with Phoenix Guard.

For General an Ice Phoenix and some caster to help it to increase armor.

Anyone got any input on how to make it work?

I would have thought you have all the tools you need. 

Reavers to fill battle-line. I'm surprised to hear you don't rate them. You can use them to get in the way, for the shots into combat harassing continuously or to score objectives - they are a tax, but not a terrible one. 

You have plenty of pheonix guard - who are awesome.

I'd play it with a pheonix guard and 20-30 pheonix guard to be your big 'hard to move' block. Dragonlord x 1-2 supported by the dragon princes for a big charge. 

What is the trouble that you foresee having? 

I started playing AoS by using my old High Elves army. The main issue for Mixed order Aelves are battleline.

One unit of Reavers are amazing its one of my armys best units.

But that’s it. One unit of Reavers…. I don’t want any more.

If you want to stick to aelves its basically battleline tax left (unleas you go for the darker side of aelves) more Reavers and Glade guards are acceptable, but it’s a tax. I would go for 1 Reaver 2 Glade Guard.

If you want a good battleline you have to look outside of Aelves for battleline.

Sometimes you can get away with using old models as “count as”, I have used old High Elves Archers as Freeguild Archers, but that is dependent on your playgroup or TO.

5 hours ago, Bassie said:

I would have thought you have all the tools you need. 

Reavers to fill battle-line. I'm surprised to hear you don't rate them. You can use them to get in the way, for the shots into combat harassing continuously or to score objectives - they are a tax, but not a terrible one. 

You have plenty of pheonix guard - who are awesome.

I'd play it with a pheonix guard and 20-30 pheonix guard to be your big 'hard to move' block. Dragonlord x 1-2 supported by the dragon princes for a big charge. 

What is the trouble that you foresee having? 

Following your sugestion i went with:

Heroes:

Frost Phoenix (General)

Dragonlord

Archmage

Battlelines:

Reavers x 5

Reavers x5

Glade guard x10 (innefective but i needed the 20 pts to squeeze the archmage)

Others:

Dragonblades x5

Dragonblades x5

Phoenix Guard x 20

Swordmasters x 20

Now i am trying to figure a list for 1250 (my local meta) i was going for:

Frost Phoenix

Archmage

Reavers x 5 (2x)

Swordmasters x 20

Phoenix guard x 20

But that gets me to 10 pts over the limit. Considered changing the reavers to GG but it seens kinda innefective. Toughts?

Hi all,

After I got my feet wet with a 1000pts tournament a few months ago I took the High (A)Elfs to a full on two day 2000pts event two weeks ago. I expanded my 1000pts Swifthawk Agents list with even more Reavers and a few Phoenixes. My army theme was to continue the swiftness with everyone mounted in some fashion:

The Glittering Host
Allegiance: Order
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
High Warden (220)
High Warden (220)
Archmage (100)
- Mount: Steed
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (280)

Battleline
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

I brought the Archmage to buff the Phoenixes and the Palisade because I imagined some cool shenanigans with blocking charges or debuffing units. Also some scenarios just need wizards.

I forgot to collect army lists except for my last game so most of the lists below are from memory.

Game 1: Battle for the Pass

First game of the day was against a very experienced Sylvaneth player.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm

Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
- Scythes
- Greatbows

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 108

I lost the game 4-28. All his big monsters ran into my lines turn one and his Revenants popped up behind me. Alarielle and the summoned treelord destroyed both Phoenixes in two rounds of combat, I managed to take 10 wounds of Alarielle, but she healed back up to full the turn after. The -1 to hit treelord ancient ran right into my army and I just could not hurt him. Reavers with 5+ to hit were unable to deal a wound to him. I was in awe at the amount of special rules, healing and damage the army put out with basically 3 models. The hunters never made it into combat. He tabled me with just Alarielle both treemen. I brought a knife to a gun fight.

My opponent finished second in this tournament.

Game 2: Scorched Earth

This game I played against an opponent I knew from my last tournament, this time he luckily had brought his Ironjawz and not Deepkin eel list. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz 

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Units
10 x Savage Boarboyz (200) 

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 185

I managed to win the game 18-12, as he was unable to catch me with his brutes and the Gruntas were shot down by my bows and pulverized by the Phoenixes. He attempted several 10 or 11” charges but failed. His run rolls were bad and basically denied him anything.

I was surprised how long my heroes had to punch the ‘ard boy unit to kill it. It took about 4 combat rounds to finally kill them all.

Game 3: Shifting Objectives

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
Leaders
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) 

Battleline
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
5 x Blood Sisters (140) 

Units
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
- Greatbows
-Scythes

Wounds: 100

This game I played against the tournament organiser, who jumped in as the ringer. This should explain his rather unusual list. We played all games in the realms with minimal effect. This one however was in Ulgu and the realm effect limited all shooting to 6”. Looking at my army I was less than enthusiastic. This is where my dice came in. Hot doesn’t describe the amount of luck I had. My Phoenixes crushed the sisters and snakes turn one. Whenever we rolled with objective would be the primary one it was the one I controlled comfortably. I won 17-8. He had 4 hunters left at the end of the game. I lost all of my heroes but nearly none of Reavers.

Game 4: Focal Points

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70) 

Battalions
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Outcasts (90) 

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportal (60) 

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 91

In his first turn he jumped 30 dryads right 3” in front of my army stretching back to a wood for the -1 to hit. Alarielle summoned dryads as a shield around her holding an objective and proceeded to blast my high warden through the spell portal. It took me 2 turns of shooting and 4 combat rounds to clear the dryad screen. My Phoenixes and the wizard rushed up the right side of the board killing his revenants and wyches. The high warden went up the center to contest and clear that objective.

I was a close game, right until drycha and Alarielle chose to commit to the fight. I managed to bind Drycha with my general but Alarielle smashed right through my other flank. Due to my inability to realistically kill Alarielle or Drycha (healing spells man…) I was pushed of the objectives and even though I managed some clever plays I just couldn’t close the points gap he had created in his first turn. I lost the game 15-12, which is way closer than I would have thought possible as my opponent was quite the skilled player.

Game 5: Duality of Death

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Delusion: The Royal Hunt

Leaders
Crypt Haunter Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardry
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Blood River Chalice
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
3 x Crypt Horrors (160) 

Units
6 x Crypt Flayers (320) 

Battalions
Royal Mordants (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 124

In my last game I faced my first death army. As always I had no idea what to expect.

I loaded up all my Reavers in the centre, the general and wizard on the right wing and all other heroes on the left. He of course had the first turn and moved everything onto the objectives. The pressure was on. I had to make something happen or I would lose on turn one. My general moved up against his Terrorgeist, all my other heroes jumped into his units on the other objective. Half of my Reavers shoot at his Terrorgesit and put a few wounds through the other half shoot at the horrors. One horror dies. The empty space is just large enough for the base of my other Phoenix. He jumps in, he strikes… and misses all but one attack. I manage to kill two further Horrors with my wardens. The general on the other side, disgusted by the shameful display of my heroes proceeds to hit with all his attacks and simply remove his lord on Terrorgeist. This windfall of good luck however was the last of its kind as my dice proceeded to reestablish the average and counterbalance my hot dice against the DoK. My dice were now ice cold. All my Reavers shot, 77 shots, 3 wounds. Twice. The Phoenix failed to kill the general and went down to the mass of attacks. He continued to score his objective and hence I could never catch up that one point difference. In the end I lost 15-16.

This tournament now more than doubled my AoS games played so far. I can say that the Phoenixes performed remarkably. The Doppelganger Cloak is crazy powerful, in my opinion too powerful, but my only option to combat the crazy monsters that others throw against me. My wizard however managed to cast only one spell the entire tournament, as I never rolled higher than 4 to cast (well, except the one time). The one spell however was the Palide which I cast just to have done so. The tables were wide open and I had no opportunity to close of any routes. The Reavers are interesting, as their mobility really has them zoom around the battlefield. I just wish they would hit on 3+ like proper (A)Elfs. I finished 7th out of 12 players. Two of my opponents where top 30 ranked players (Total German Ranking), so the quality was there and I feel I did better than expected - even though I missed my hoped for top 50% spot!

So, what is next for the Glittering Host? I am thinking about replacing a warden with a skywarden to use the pennant. Also, I will remove the palisade as it just wasn’t useful. I will continue to play the army, because I believe in improving my play above tuning the army. Also, the army is quite simple to use, as there are few special rules to remember. The damage isn’t all that great so I won’t fall into the “kill everything” trap, because I have to focus on the objectives. Also I don’t want to ally in non-High (A)Elfs, so that limits my options certainly curbs my power curve. Most optimal would most likely be 4 Phoenixes and 1 empire wizard with heal spell and a stormcast wizard with comet. But that isn’t what I want from a theme perspective.

Is there a High (A)Elfs WhatsApp group? Do we need to form one?

• Like 2

Thank you for your kind words.

I actually have looked at a Drakeseer. From a list building perspective he would replace two models instead of me just slotting out the warden. I hestitate to reduce the amount of Reavers as they really are just fodder to contest objectives or block paths.

On amore practical level, I don't own any dragons, yet. I bought two off ebay on the weekend and await their arrival. Due to my massive collection of Island of Blood boxes, I have enough sword masters to look at building an Eldritch Council force. Basically 70 sword masters and 3 dragons.

I really enjoy the speed of this list, its kind of like Eldar in 40k (just without the punch).

I suggested the Drakeseer because on your reports you seen to lack the "punch" and the dragon breath (1d3 or 1d6 free mortal wounds)+ the Flames of the Phoenix (the has potencial to kill pretty much anything aaaand buffing the Phoenix), not mention the melee of the dragon itself.

Maybe you could replace it for both the High Warden AND the archmage?

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

I suggested the Drakeseer because on your reports you seen to lack the "punch" and the dragon breath (1d3 or 1d6 free mortal wounds)+ the Flames of the Phoenix (the has potencial to kill pretty much anything aaaand buffing the Phoenix), not mention the melee of the dragon itself.

Maybe you could replace it for both the High Warden AND the archmage?

I don't doubt your advice. I will have to try that one out.

To be quite honest, I have played less than 10 games of AoS in total, so I am a total noob and need all the help I can get.

My ebay dragon should be here soon, maybe I can try something in the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, flOw said:

I don't doubt your advice. I will have to try that one out.

To be quite honest, I have played less than 10 games of AoS in total, so I am a total noob and need all the help I can get.

My ebay dragon should be here soon, maybe I can try something in the next few weeks.

Oh i am as new as you !

I magnetized the riders so i can have all 3 "units".

There arent that many Aelf players nowadays and if we find something cool , we share 😃

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, im interested to Start some high elves as a second army. 

What i have right now:

1 Frostheart Phoenix ,

15 Dragon Blades.

got this all for a good price :D are those Dragon Blades worth to Play? With a Dragonlord and their Bataillon? Or should i focus on the Phoenix guys?

is the dark elves hydra competitive? Though about some Kind of a monstermash elves army, but it Looks like we have no synergy :/ maybe you guys have some advice for me.

is it possible to win a tournament with pure elves ?

1 hour ago, Die Gruenhaut said:

Hey guys, im interested to Start some high elves as a second army. 

What i have right now:

1 Frostheart Phoenix ,

15 Dragon Blades.

got this all for a good price :D are those Dragon Blades worth to Play? With a Dragonlord and their Bataillon? Or should i focus on the Phoenix guys?

is the dark elves hydra competitive? Though about some Kind of a monstermash elves army, but it Looks like we have no synergy :/ maybe you guys have some advice for me.

is it possible to win a tournament with pure elves ?

Hello there!

I think the answers to your questions are all yes. The complex part is how to mix the pieces around.  Frostheart is a great unit, cant go wrong with it.  The dragon is a great model and you can magnetize to have it as mage/noble. If you get one, the dragon blades (my favorite models ever) are awesome. They work well even without the battalion.

Here is a little example:

leaders:

Dragonlord (horn)

Anoited on Frost Phoenix

Archmage

Loremaster

Dragon Noble.

Battlelines

Reavers x 3

Units:

Dragon Blades x3

Behemoth

War Hydra.

Total 1980 pts.

This is just an example, there are several lists on this thread. Are you gona win every game ? Nope. Are you going to be stomped? Also nope.

But i can garantee you can have fun with High Aelves.

Possible to win a tournament? I did win a local one with Order Draconis. Had a bit of surprise on my side since people had never seen those units in the field.

Likely to be a top list? Not really. Mid tier i would say.

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Thanks 1