The Ultimate guide to High Aelves in AoS2

Crono

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did okay with the list for my 4th-8th games ever. Managed to go 2 Major Wins ,1 Minor Win and 2 Major losses (learning experiences ;)). There were also schematics of which I only achieved 3 out of 5, which was a bit of a pain in the ass. This saw me end up 36th of 72, right in the middle of the pack, however if i'd completed them and didn't have to borrow hodge podge pieces of army I would have jumped up to around 12th. Onwards for next time!

Few things i'm drafting at the moment which I really like:

Phoenix Temple

-Annointed on Flamespyre Phoenix, Doppelganger Cloak, Strategic Genius

-Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix

-Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix

-Archmage (Ally)

-Archmage (Ally)

-Archmage (Ally)

-30 Phoenix Guard

-10 Phoenix Guard

-10 Phoenix Guard

-Cogs

-Lifeswarm

The synergies are thus:

Phoenix's gain armour from from spell casters. The three spellcasters can buff the phoenix's save from 5+ to 2+. Mystic ward is actually useful (reroll 1s to save) at this point, the 6+ ward save spell bubble for the entire army adds another layer of armour and arcane bolt is nifty in a tough spot. Emerald Lifeswarm can resurrect D3 phoenix guard and cogs can help deliver them plus cast extra spells. Hooray.

Question for the massess - would balewind vortex be better?

Another list i'm keen to try in a similar vein:

Eldritch Council

Drakeseer - Strategic Genius

Dragonlord with Lance and Shield - Doppelganger Cloak (Ally)

Loremaster

Archmage

30 Swordmasters

30 Swordmasters

10 Swordmasters

Emerald Lifeswarm

Cogs

Finally, a few pictures from the weekend:

DoT3r4SUgAAi6Et.jpg:largeDoTKpCiUcAAV1EW.jpg:largeDoPR1bHUUAAktXV.jpg:largeDoN9Cs6V4AAXI9E.jpg:large

I was thinking something like

Allegiance: Order

Archmage on steed

Dragonlord w/ quicksilver potion

Dragon Noble with banner

5x Reavers

5xReavers

5x Reavers

10x Dragon Blades

10x Dragon blades

1510 points. Would this be at all viable as a cavalry themed army? Plan would be to shoot screens and screen myself turn 1-2 with the reavers, and then go for the kill with a massed cavalry charge the 2nd turn (pop both horns for +2 attacks, +1CP for reroll hits. for 40 lance attacks with each dragon blade units, hopefully crushing a flank.

3 questions:

1) None of the free cities allow for both reavers and dragon-blades right? The high-elves are permanently split up when it comes to free cities? 

2) Is this at all viable?

3) Can you use faction specific battalions in a grand alliance: order army? I was thinking the dragonhost might be interesting in this kind of army. It would speed up the list by a whole turn, too. 

27 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

I know they are over priced but Flamespyre Phoenix's seem great especially in Sypreheart. I'm not typically one for Elves but I love the idea of a monster heavy list and Phoenix temple and especially OD seem to do this very well. 

Yeah, they are, the frosty seems better in almost every way - there is chris tomlins variant that runs 3 frosties and aventis with the comet - that'll be next on the list :)

23 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

a question about the Spyreheart Warhost, does an Anointed on a Phoenix fill both the Anointed and one of the Phoenix requirements?

I don't believe so.  You need:

-1 Annointed

-2 units of PG

-2 of flamebois and/or frostybois, neither with riders (stupid)

I dont think it is #worth

2 hours ago, ledha said:

only in open play. In matched play, it's 20% of your army (200 pts on a 1000 pts game, 400 in a 2000 pts game)

Its 20% AND one in four. GW doubled the restrictions for no apparent reason making allies incredibly hard to fit into elite armies.

Just had a excellent game with Order Elves Vs Nurgle, at the Suthernland Shire Gamers club ( Where MOAB is hosted every year)

He had Rotigus, Great Unclean one, 3 Plague Drones, Lord of Blights, Blightlord, 30 Plaguebearers , 10 Plaguebearers ,10 Plaguebearers , Mounted Sorceror

I Had Frostheart Phoenix(Anointed) , 20 Phoenix Guard, 20 Swordmasters, 20 Glade Guard, 20 Glade Guard, 5 Reavers, 5 Reavers, Knight Azyros, Waywatcher and Spellsinger

I went second and had a brutal round of shooting, Rotigus got wasted as a got a double turn for turn 2 and by the end of that turn most of the 30 Plaguebearers were gone and drone were taking a beating, we called it at the end of turn 2 as was getting late and the fun was a bit one sided for me

Frostheart and Phoenix guard is a nice combo and 40 Arcane Bodkins will deal with most behemoths in 1 turn, Reavers are great to burn objectives and harass at range, Swordmasters just kill stuff you point them at but cant take a hard beating like the Phoenix Guard can , Azyros is great as gives the 10"bubble around him you can re-roll 1's for targeting enemies and drops his Mortal wound nuke once per game that sucks to be chaos ( i had 3 units in range and did 3,5,6 mortal wounds)

Ive just gotten back into Sigmar (played WHFB for ever) and the rules seem to maturing well but they need to do some more work on armies, you can tell they dont really put an effort into the fluff as IMO i think its pretty crappy setting compared to the depth of the old Warhammer, maybe the drugs were better back then :)

Nice mate! Glad mixed is working for you!

Played in a tournament with Chris Tomlins Phoenix Temple today and came in 2nd, with a very narrow 1140-1040 loss to the eventual winner (Chaos Dwarves). Phoenix temple is a very noob friendly list! 

E2682A98-CD14-45D1-BD46-BC0987BA7FA3.jpeg

A9973D09-3A5A-4EF8-A6B6-37F50D434E95.jpeg

93B23481-17C7-478E-8CEF-7E8124A5EEE9.jpeg

Played a game with Eldrich Council Last night:

-Drakeseer, Master of Defence

-Archmage

-Loremaster

-Dragonlord (Ally)

30 Swordmasters

20 Swordmasters

10 Swordmasters

10 Swordmasters

Cogs

List has legs, but it also feels like a bad version of phoenix temple with even less dynamism/utility. :(

1.PNG

2.PNG

Had Another great Game with Order Elves vs Slaves to Darkness , my list as follows

Frostheart Phoenix(Anointed)

20 Phoenix Guard

20 Swordmasters

20 Glade Guard

20 Glade Guard

5 Reavers

5 Reavers

Knight Azyros

Waywatcher

Spellsinger

I cant recall his full army but he had a Lord with a Lord on a Manticore, Warshrine ,  Deamon Prince , 2 Sorcerers (1 mounted) and about 8 units of Warriors in small units of 5

Was one of the best games i have played to date , He had a 5+ ward bubble from the mounted Sorcerer and then 6+ from Warshire and a spell to fling the Warriors in 9"range of me , some key highlights are Slaying his Lord on the Manticore turn 1 with all my shooting ( yay for Arcane Bodkins) and the Phoenix Guard Holding the central objective  the entire game (damn they are tough!)

20181012_204649.jpg

Whilst my Phoenix guard are getting the painted treatment, i'm looking at the following two lists :)

Order Draconis

Dragonlord #1 (General) (Battallion)

-Lance and Horn

-Sword of Judgement (6+ on hits cause D6 MW to heroes and monsters)

-Legendary Fighter

Note: This guy can have up to 7 attacks with his lance, hitting on 3's with rerolls, wounding on 2s doing 3 dmg each!)

Dragonlord #2 (Battallion)

-Lance and Horn

-Doppelganger

Dragonlord #3

-Lance and Horn

-Dimensional Blade

Archmage (Khaleesi) on steed.

4x5 Dragon Princes

2x Dragonhost Battallion

1940pts

I'm also looking at this hybrid list

Dragonlord, Lance and Horn, Doppelganger, Strategic Genius

Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix

Archmage on Steed

Battlemage with Lifesurge

20 Glade Guard

2x5 Reavers

30 Phoenix Guard

2x5 Dragon Blades

DpdjwL9UYAYJcfa.jpg:large

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great game vs the new Beasts of Chaos last night , my list as follows

Allegiance: Order - Mortal Realm: Ulgu
LEADERS
Archmage
- Steed
Skywarden
- Swifthawk Pennant
Knight-Azyros
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix

- General
- Command Trait : Master of Defense
- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak

UNITS
20 x Swordmasters
20 x Spireguard
5 x Reavers
5 x Reavers
20 x Phoenix Guard
20 x Glade Guard

He had at least 5 units of Minotaurs ( 2x6, 3, 3 ,3 ) , a few doom bulls , Cygor and Ghorgon, large unit of Unghors  and a Bray shaman

My Swordmasters did a lot of damage but got eaten by Minotaurs , the Spireguard played resonably well for shooting and didnt end up making it to melee and the Phoenix Temple as always shone like a star ( though was left will less than 8 PG after round 4 ), was a solid Victory 9/3 my way

20181102_212036.jpg

20181102_212102.jpg

20181102_222520.jpg

Archived