Black Library and Classic Warhammer - Complete listings!

Overread

Yes after doing well with Age of Sigmar I decided to start tackling the grand classic era of Warhammer! There are a LOT more books and short stories here, but unlike AoS there is far less silly messing around and the number of collected editions is at a much more sane level. Now the are a few things to note:

1) GW appears to be republishing some of these stories (in print and ebook format) in collected editions of series (and short stories). As a result some series presented here as individual listings might, at some point in the future, be released in a collected edition. Bare this in mind when purchasing; however there is no guarantee that any series will get collected together. 

2) I have no idea as to time-lines with these. I have broadly kept the listings as they are shown on the Black Library website which roughly has the newest at the top and the oldest at the bottom.

3) I have split the listings into three groups for Novels; Collected editions (both collected books and short stories), multi-book series and stand alone books.  Unlike the AoS page, if an individual book is part of a collected edition I only list the collected edition (which does show all books/short stories contained within on its listing). This is purely to make the listings easier to read for new people without having to keep cross referencing different lists. 

I've also done it on the expectation that most consulting this will be newer to the lore and setting and thus are likely making fresh purchases; where most collected editions prove to be the significantly cheaper choice. 

Collected Editions:

Spoiler

Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter (Witch Hunter, Witch, Finder, Witch Killer)

The War of Vengeance (The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, The Curse of the Pheoenix Crown)

Champions Of Chaos (Sigvald by Darius Hinks,Valkia the Bloody, Bloodraven, Blood Blessing, Reaper, Harbinger, Van Horstmann)

Ulrika the Vampire: The Omnibus (Bloodborn, Bloodforged, Bloodsworn)

The Sundering (Malekith, Shadow King, Caledor)

Vampire Wars: The von Carstein Trilogy (Inheritance, Dominion, Retribution)

The Rise of Nagash (Nagash the Sorcerer, Nagash the Unbroken, Nagash Immortal)

The Legend of Sigmar (Heldenhammer, Empire, God-King, Let the Great Axe Fall, Gods of Flesh and Blood, Sword Guardian)

**The Black Plague (Dead Winter, Blighted Empire, Wolf of Sigmar)** included in new omnibus Skaven Wars below

Warhammer: The End Times Collection (The Return of Nagash, The Fall of Altdorf, The Curse of Khaine, The Rise of the Horned Rat, The Lord of the End Times)

Death of the Old World (The Rise of the Horned Rat, The Lord of the End Times) - Repeat in End Times collection 

The Empire (Grimblades,Iron Company, Warrior Priest, The Miracle at Berlau, As Dead as Flesh, Dead Man's Hand, Sanctity, The Judgement of Crows, The March of Doom)

Swords of the Empire (short story collection - Duty and Honour, )

Way of the Dead(What Price Vengeance, Three Knights, The Small Ones, The Road to Damnation, Mark of the Beast, Jahama's Lesson, Head Hunting, Glow, A Good Thief)

Age of Legend (A Small Victory, Bloodraven, City of Dead Jewels, The Last Charge, The Ninth Book, The Gods Demand, Plague Doktor*, The City is Theirs, The Second Sun, Aenarion)

Death & Dishonour (Red Snow, The Assassin's Dilemma, Rest Eternal, The Miracle at Berlau, Noblesse Oblige, The Last Ride of Heiner Rothstein, Broken Blood, The Judgement of Crows, Wolfshead)

Masters of Steel and Stone (Grudge Bearer, Oathbreaker, Honourkeeper, The Doom of Dragonback, Ancestral Grudge, City of Dead Jewels)

Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus (Blood of Aenarion, Sword of Caledor, Bane of Malekith)

Warriors of the Chaos Wastes Omnibus (Wulfrik, Blood for the Blood God, Palace of the Plague Lord)

Knights of the Empire (Hammers of Ulric, Reiksguard, Knight of the Blazing Sun, Dead Calm, Stromfel’s Teeth, Lords of the Marsh, Dead Man’s Party, Bernheimer’s Gun)

Warlords of Karak Eight Peaks (Skarsnik, Headtaker, Thorgrim, The Karag Durak Grudge, The King of Black Crag)

Skaven Wars: The Black Plague (Dead Winter, Blighted Empire, Wolf of Sigmar, Plague Priest, Plague Doktor, A Question of Faith, The Last Man)

The Orion Trilogy (The Vaults of Winter, Tears of Isha, The Council of Beasts)

Brunner The Bounty Hunter (Blood Money, Blood and Steel, Blood of the Dragon)

Thanquol & Boneripper (Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent, Thanquol’s Doom, Mind-Stealer, Thanquol Triumphant)

Heroes of the Empire (Sword of Justice, Sword of Vengeance, Luthor Huss, Feast of Horrors, Duty and Honour, The March of Doom)

Individual Series:

Spoiler

Gilead Lothain:
1 Gilead's Blood (unlisted short story collection)
2 Gilead's Curse

Archaon duology:
1 Archaon: Everchosen
2 Archaon: Lord of Chaos

The Blood of Nagash:
1 Neferata
2 Master of Death

Slaves to Darkness:
1 The Claws of Chaos
2 The Blades of Chaos
3 The Heart of Chaos

Ambassador Chronicles:
1 The Ambassador
2 Ursun's Teeth

Storm of Magic:
The Hour of Shadows
Dragonmage
Razumov's Tomb

Calard:
1 Knight Errant
2 Knight of the Realm
3 Questing Knight
4 Grail Knight

The Adventures of Florin and Lorenzo:
1 The Burning Shore
1.5 Haute Cuisine
2 Wild Kingdoms
3 Savage City

Stand Alone books:

Spoiler

Graphic Novels; (comics)
Condemned by Fire
Crown of Destruction
Forge of War

Novels:
Sigmar's Blood
The Bloody-Handed (includes illustrations!)
Forged in Battle
Magestorm
Fell Cargo
The Red Duke
Dreadfleet
The Dead and the Damned
Forged by Chaos
Ancient Blood
Call To Arms
Defenders of Ulthuan
Sons of Ellyrion
The Hour of Shadows
Dark Storm Gathering
Guardians of the Forest
Broken Honour
Riders of the Dead

Gotrek and Felix Collected series:

Spoiler

Gotrek and Felix The First Omnibus (Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Death and Glory, A Place of Quiet Assembly, Blood Sport, Kineater, Mind-Stealer)

Gotrek and Felix The Second Omnibus (Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, The Tilean’s Talisman, Lord of Undeathby, The Two Crowns of Ras Karim, Prophecy, A Cask of Wynters)

Gotrek and Felix The Third Omnibus (Giantslayer, Redhand’s Daughter, Orcslayer, Manslayer, The Oberwald Ripper, Red Snow, Last Orders)

Gotrek and Felix The Fourth Omnibus (Elfslayer, Shamanslayer, Zombieslayer, Slayer of the Storm God, Slayer's Honour, The Funeral of Gotrek Gurnisson)

Gotrek and Felix: The Anthology - note all stories present in Omnibus editions above (1-4)
(Slayer's Honour, A Cask of Wynters, A Place of Quiet Assembly, Kineater, Prophecy, The Tilean's Talismn, Last Orders, Mind-stealer, The Two Crowns of Ras Karim, The Funeral of Gotrek Gurnisson)

Gotrek & Felix: Lost Tales (Charnel Congress, The Reckoning, Into the Valley of Death, Curse of the Everliving)

Gotrek & Felix: Myths and Legends (Death and Glory!, Lord of Undeath, The Lost Kinsmen)

Core Series: 
1 Troll Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 1)
2 Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 1)
3 Daemonslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 1)
4 Dragonslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 2)
5 Beastslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 2)
6 Vampireslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 2)
7 Giantslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 3)
8 Orcslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 3)
9 Manslayer (Gotrek and Felix Volume 3)
10 Elfslayer (Gotrek and Felix Omnibus 4)
11 Shamanslayer (Gotrek and Felix Omnibus 4)
12 Zombieslayer (Gotrek and Felix Omnibus 4)

End of Series:
1 Kinslayer
Rememberers (short story)
2 Slayer

Stand Alone Adventures:
City of the Damned
Berthold's Beard
The Serpent Queen
Road of Skulls
Golgfag's Revenge
Marriage of Moment
The Contest
Into the Valley of Death (Gotrek & Felix: Lost Tales)
Charnel Congress (Gotrek & Felix: Lost Tales)
The Reckoning (Gotrek & Felix: Lost Tales)

Warhammer Horror - Genevieve series

Spoiler

Drachenfels
Genevieve Undead (Stage Blood, The Cold Stark House, Unicorn Ivory)
Beasts in Velvet
Silver Nails (Red Thirst, The Ibby the Fish Factor)

Darkblade Collected series:

Spoiler

Darkblade: eBook Bundle (all bar Bloodwalker)

Series:
1 The Daemon's Curse
2 Bloodstorm
3 Reaper of Souls
4 Warpsword
5 Lord of Ruin
6 Deathblade

Stand alone adventure:
Bloodwalker

Short stories - Remember these are the ones that are NOT expressly mentioned as being included in collected editions earlier mentioned

Spoiler

The End Times:
The Siege of Naggarond (Prequel to "The Curse of Khaine")
Bride of Khaine (Prequel to "Curse of Khaine and Deathblade")
Marienburg's Stand (Prequel to "The Fall of Altdorf") 
With Ice and Sword 
The Bone Cage (Set between "Sigmar's Blood" and "The Return of Nagash")

Golgfag Maneater stories:
1 Golgfag's Revenge
2 The Battle Of Whitestone

Ghoul King: 
1 Conqueror of Worms
2 Empire of Maggots

The Golden Idol:
Tomb of The Golden Idol: Part 1
Tomb of The Golden Idol: Part 2

The Great Maw
Bernheimer's Gun
Sticks and Stones
Wind of Change
Cold Light of Day
Deathmasque
Unseen
Picking the Bones
The Master of Mourkain (Ties into "Blood of Nagash" series)
Like Father, Like Son
The Last Little Bit
Voyage of the Sunspear
Never Forgive
The Riddle of Scorpions
Sword Guardian
Gilead's Craft
Voices (features Queek!)
Cankerworm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've now added all the novels and short stories that I can see on the Black Library website! 

I've done my best to put series together and make mention in short stories where they tie into major series, if anyone spots anything wrong or that could be added please please do say! Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope to hear of the stories you've read and enjoyed in the thread :)

New release added, Masters of Steel and Stone! 

Includes the Dwarfs series of Grudge Bearer, Oathbreaker and Honourkeeper. As well as the following stand along stories, The Doom of Dragonback, Ancestral Grudge and City of Dead Jewels (also featured in the Age of Legends collection) 

• 1 month later...

no love for the Orfeo books (Zaragoz, Plague Daemon, Storm Warriors) or the likes of Drachenfels? been a long, long, long time since I read them but I remember they stood up to what I'd snootily term proper genre fiction, certainly the Orfeo ones treated chaos in a fairly interesting and nuanced way, Drachenfels was a bit more hammer horror but clearly intended to call back to classic gothic horror with some high camp thrown in, so Newman hit the mark there.

actually are any of these still in print at all, or consigned to the GW equivalent of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum?

@JPjr they don't appear to be on the Black Library website at all, and I could only go by what they listed. Might be worth dropping BL an email about them as they are reprinting a lot of the old Classics in collected editions right now. If they are not currently listed it might be that its an oversight (since BL can sell digital books on their own without needing a paper copy so the cost should be minimal). However it could also be that they were made with contracts that BL doesn't own any more so they don't have distribution rights

@Overread I think they were pre-black library when it was just GW Books, though I don't think that would stop them in terms of copyright.

Honestly from what I can remember of them I have a sneaking suspicion the Orfeo books at least don't quite 100% gel with the mid 90s onwards officially sanctioned view of the Warhammer world. Not that there's anything totally heretical about them, but from the little bits I've read of Black Library books I get the feeling they have a different flavour from what came after.

Saying that I actually think I read that Drachenfels is getting a reprinting as part of their new line of Horror fiction. If they do hopefully it will be in its original unexpurgated form (some of the pre-BL books had things like sex scenes that I believe were bowdlerized in later editions and in some areas they clash with accepted 'canon'). Really worth reading if it is, I think most people who have rate it as one of the best GW based books published.

Added and updated to include:

Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus (Blood of Aenarion, Sword of Caledor, Bane of Malekith)

Warriors of the Chaos Wastes Omnibus (Wulfrik, Blood for the Blood God, Palace of the Plague Lord)

Knights of the Empire (Hammers of Ulric, Reiksguard, Knight of the Blazing Sun, Dead Calm, Stromfel’s Teeth, Lords of the Marsh, Dead Man’s Party, Bernheimer’s Gun)

All are pre-orders coming out over the next few months. 

Note the short stories in Knights of the Empire appear to not be sold on the BL website on their own; so chances are they might be from Inferno Classic (which is being put on print-on-demand every few months, I believe January is when the next set goes on sale) or from other sources. 

Edited by Overread

Updated the listing with the following upcoming books: 

(Feb) Gotrek and Felix: The Second Omnibus (Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, The Tilean’s Talisman, Lord of Undeath, The Two Crowns of Ras Karim, Prophecy, A Cask of Wynters)

(April) Warlords of Karak Eight Peaks (Skarsnik, Headtaker, Thorgrim, The Karag Durak Grudge, The King of Black Crag)

(May) Skaven Wars: The Black Plague (Dead Winter, Blighted Empire, Wolf of Sigmar, Plague Priest, Plague Doktor, A Question of Faith, The Last Man)

So a few days from now and another big block of Gotrek and Felix and then two months with a focus on many things skaven and dwarven! Note that Skaven Wars includes the "Black Plague" collected book within it. I've kept the collected book listed but noted on its listing that its now present in the new collected edition with the other skaven stories as well. 

Added the new Gotrek and Felix 3rd Omnibus edition to the post! Rather easy to see what will be in the 4th however considering how many of the short and stand alone stories are not within one of the current 3 I wonder if by the time we reach the 4th we might get a 5th of all the collected short stories and the like. Which would be a handy way to tie up the loose ends of Gotrek and Felix. Then again that might get bundled into 5th omnibus along with the End Times stories of the Duo. 

I've also now added the Genevieve series from Warhammer Horror, note that Beasts in Velvet and Silver Nils are both pre-orders (though Silver Nails is a reprint of an older publication so can still be found in paperback)

Note also both the Orion Trilogy and Brunner the Bounty Hunter series are slated for collected edition releases in coming soon.  I've not added them to the list as yet as I don't have the actual contents for them (GW preview site doesn't show them). However you can assume that the stories listed in their respected series lists will appear, the question is really if there are any short stories that will get included as well. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 1

Updated with the newest publication of Thanquol and Boneripper. I've also put a mention that the Gotrek and Felix Anthology of short stories contains stories which are now all part of the omnibus editions of the stories. In addition note that Heroes of the Empire is coming in February - most likely containing at the very least Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance - might also have shorts but I don't know of any and far as I know BL hasn't released the contents of the book formally yet. 

Also note that if BL keeps publishing the collected story editions then we could well see all the listed series of tales released next year. 

Updated with the new Heroes of the Empire book. I've also added the The Adventures of Florin and Lorenzo as a story collection so this just moved those included stories up from "stand alone" to the series listing. 

Also in May "Elves" by Graham McNeill is coming with 3 stories and 3 short stories. I'm assuming this will include his two novels "Sons of Ellyrion and Defenders of Ulthuan", though I'm not sure what the other contents might be. 

• 3 years later...