If you could have ten currently-available AoS miniatures re-sculpted, what would they be?

Kyriakin

Putting the incoming Slaanesh (i.e. Fiends and awful, awful Keeper of Secrets) to one side as a given, which ten currently-available miniatures would you have re-sculpted if you had the chance to do so?

I guess this would mostly factor-in the terribleness of the current model, but also it's status within the game and, in the case of Blood Knights, the current price.

Another way of looking at it, is those miniatures that always seem to be converted and/or replaced with third-party/40K stand-ins. However, in the case of, say, Frost Sabres, this isn't a big deal as people genuinely don't seem to mind using Wolves, Bears, or whatever.

So, in no particular order...:

(1) Centigors

(2) Icefall Yhetees

(3) Blood Knights

(4) Fell Bats

(5) Vargulf Courtier

(6) Zombies

(7) Bat Swarms

(8) Minotaurs

(9) Night Runners

(10) Gutter Runners

So, three factions (i.e. Soulblight, Clan Eshin and Beasts of Chaos) eat up seven of my ten choices. Salamanders just miss out, as Seraphon have loads of options anyway.

Oh interesting thread!

1) Dragons! Ok so this kind of might be more than one model, but I'd really like to see them revisit the dragons now. Black dragons and the High Elf dragon kit - perhaps giving the HE kit the shift it needs into being just for the HE (ergo light aelves) and giving the woodland aelves their own dragon kit (with optional twin riders). Whilst they are  in no means bad models the quality that GW has been putting out recently makes me think GW could do wonders! 

2) Cauldron of Blood - again this isn't a bad model, but I kind of feel its appearance and design needs just a little revision in terms of how it looks and perhaps how its movement is conveyed in the AoS setting. Arcane fire in the wheels; something pulling it; just making it more of the fast moving support to close combat unit it is now as opposed to the more "back of a huge moving army" that it had in the fantasy era. 

3) Doomfire Warlocks - mostly to bring them in line with the current Daughter's faction; esp since the males are supposed to be weaker and generally smaller and yet they are distinctly very large in body compared to the rest of the Aelves. 

4) HE Great Eagle  (in fact is that even sold any more?) A classic that deserves some big attention and I really hope gets its own centre stage being re-released in the future!

5) The old WE hawk riders - fits perfectly into the high fantasy world of AoS and could look utterly outstanding in new plastic! 

6) Anything currently made in finecast (yes yes yes I'm aware this is more than one model but its my view; most things finecast could be remade into newer better plastic models for the range rather than being lost to the depths of time)

And that's about it for me - this is, of course, ignoring a huge make-over for Slaanesh (honestly I'd revise the whole line from deamonettes to the chariots*)

*I'd like to see the whips lost. They just don't seem deadly enough on a chariot and as its a kit that crosses into 40K the whips seem even more out of place there. 

The Zombies box is a big one for me too. At the time it was one of the best plastic kits ever, but it's really showing its age these days - suffers from the totally OTT, wacky proportions that some of the older Skaven plastics have. 

I don't even collect Death, and have no intention to, but a great zombies box would be fantastic for other games - they crop in basically every fantasy skirmish game, wargame, and role playing game out there. I know modern GW would never think this way, but I think if they did a new Zombies box, they'd actually sell a lot to people who don't even play Warhammer. 

Beyond that... for the most part, really I want the focus in Age Of Sigmar to be on new things. They're forging such an awesome, creative new aesthetic for the game, and for me every model they go back and redo is a weird, unique, new thing they're not doing. It's not like they'd ever be able to keep up with redoing old stuff, and I don't think it's a bad thing if they left some stuff quietly fade away, totally reinvent others, and mostly focus on totally new stuff. Ultimately that's going to be the best way to solidify Age Of Sigmar's identity separate from Warhammer Fantasy. 

23 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

Beyond that... for the most part, really I want the focus in Age Of Sigmar to be on new things. They're forging such an awesome, creative new aesthetic for the game, and for me every model they go back and redo is a weird, unique, new thing they're not doing. It's not like they'd ever be able to keep up with redoing old stuff, and I don't think it's a bad thing if they left some stuff quietly fade away, totally reinvent others, and mostly focus on totally new stuff. Ultimately that's going to be the best way to solidify Age Of Sigmar's identity separate from Warhammer Fantasy. 

So you must have hated the...

Black Coach

Bloodthirser

Nagash*

Thanquol*

Neferata* / Arkhan* / Mannfred*

Great Unclean One

Beasts of Nurgle

Lord of Change / Kairos Fateweaver

Changling

Horrors (x3)

Morathi

Alarielle, and probably a load of other ET/AoS models I can't think of right now.

----------------------------------

And why does AoS have to be completely distinct from WHFB? If that was the intention, they wouldn't have named it after a combination of the previous game's name and one of its most famous gods.

It's even acknowledged to be part of the same time-line - albeit far in the future.

It's all about balance. An old concept with the current technology can lead to some amazing sculpts, as with those listed above.

@robinlvalentine I totally get what you mean. At the same time I don't want to see stuff lost either. 

Sometimes there's a straight update; old model goes and a new sculpt comes out.

Other times they can make some big chances - Look at the new Morathi. Gone is a simple she-elf on legs or even mounted on a horse; in is a she-aelf who transforms into a huge winged serpent! There's a lot of "basic" units that can do the same. Shadowblades Assassin can be updated with a totally new AoS style sculpt. 

That said I do want to see new things; new beasts is one big area. New mounts is something I think GW is pushing for and adds a nice flavour to a lot of factions to have not just horses but other things too (though I do want to see horses as well!). GW made a lot of focus in the lore about beasts and monsters and dragons and supreme cities moving around on the backs of worms - so I expect to see lots of fantastical beasts! 

First off, I would like to see all current Finecast minis replaced with plastic versions.  That's a given.  As for my list;

1) Orruk Boar Chariot.  

2) All Moonclan Squig Units

3) Clan Skryre Acolytes

4) Warplock Jezzails

5) Gutter Runners

6) Night Runners

7) Zombies

8 ) Doomfire Warlocks*

9) Steam Tank

10) Human Ironweld Artillery

*In truth, any kit that's got unit options spread across multiple factions might need looked at again imo.

13 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

*In truth, any kit that's got unit options spread across multiple factions might need looked at again imo.

I actually wish GW would do this more, and would even expand it to kits that cross grand alliances. For example, imagine a modular dragon kit that had interchangeable bits that could make it an order dragon, a chaos dragon, a zombie dragon, or a "wild" dragon. Such a kit would satisfy players of each of the four alliances and would probably sell incredibly well. It might not quite be realistic to cover all four alliances in one kit, but I bet two kits each covering two alliances would be very doable.

You wouldn't need to change very many bits at all for the Eidolon kit to work as a DoK warscroll. 

It would be easy to release a new kit with options to build as either a "savage" Bonesplitterz orruk or a heavily armored Ironjawz orruk.

While I understand that there are design advantages to the way GW currently does things, my #1 wish for GW is that they would shift away from faction-based releases and towards setting based ones where they release kits for multiple different factions at the same time. It means that customers would be buying kits more often (albeit fewer at a time), staying more engaged with the game and players would rarely have long gaps where they saw no new releases for their faction(s). 

Multi faction kits would make this kind of strategy much more doable. 

Hmmmm..... If I really think about it I would like to see a lot of the old WFB troops redone. They’re the basic building blocks of an army and so many of them are outdated and far too static compared to the new AoS minis.

If I had to narrow it down to ten, it would be - Ardboyz, Saurus Warriors, Gors, Skeleton Warriors, Marauders, Zombies, Clanrats and then Bullgors, Saurus Knights and Bloodletters because I’ve always thought they were  very weak models in otherwise good ranges.

I'd say pretty much anything Freeguild if only to get rid of all the old empire heraldry and replace it with more appropriate things (I'd imagine they'd default to Hammerhal heraldry given that is the defacto main city of Order in the lore). Feels wrong and inappropriate to have guys running around with the name of an emperor from a dead world they know nothing about on their gear.

Would also give them a chance to show what a "normal" army looks like in the mortal realms rather than the over the top awesome stuff (don't get me wrong, I love that stuff but they need grounded models to compare to in my mind to make the awesome parts stand out even more).

I'd be totally selfish and focus it all on the factions I'm most interested in. If OOP models were allowed in the premise I could spend it all on Beasts of Chaos!

1. Beastlord
  2. Centigors
  3. Tuskgor Chariot (preferably reimagined as not-a-chariot)
  4. Doombull
  5. Razorgor
  6. Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
  7. Jabberslythe
  8. Chaos Marauders
  9. Chaos Warriors
  10. Chaos Chosen

1.  Keeper of Secrets

2. Skryre Acolytes

3.  Night Runners

4. Tzeentch Fatemaster

5. Gutter Runners

6.  Chaos Marauders

7. Rattling Gun Team

8.  Saurus Cavalry

9. Citadel Woods

10. Fimir Warriors (purely so that they could be done by citadel and I could feasibly make an army without paying Forgeworld import prices).

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

1.Warlock engineer

2.Arch warlock

3.skyre acolytes 

4.Warpfire thrower team

5.poisoned wind mortar team

6.Rat ogres

7.Jezzails

8.Gutter Runners

9.Night Runners 

10. Plague monks 

This. They don't even need to resculpt 4 and 5 (if there is a way to separate Weapon Teams from Spire of Dawn sprue).

In addition to that:

- Zombies,

- most of resin Chaos Lords (that's probably a given considering Darkoaths),

- all other Skaven Weapon Teams,

- Valkia (right now she's too small for one of the greatest champions of Khorne),

- Epidemius,

- Shaggoth ( I actually like its look, but we really need a plastic one),

- Keeper of Secrets (definitely going to happen),

- Frost Sabres (they too static),

- Gorgers,

- Squigs,

- Orruk Boar Chariot (especially pigs,

- Grot Wolf Chariot (especially wolves ),

- Saurus Knights,

- Salamander and Razordon,

- Slann (same as Shaggoth - plastic!),

- Dragons,

- Kroxigors,

- Vampire lords.

Of the factions I collect I think only the Bats (swarm and dire) Zombies and dire wolves are genuinely bad. Not familiar with the chaos or destruction models, but I don't think anything else in Order or Death comes close to the problems with those four models.

I'm torn on the "convert to plastic" issue. On the one hand plastic kits are easier to build (especially now i've developed an allergy to superglue). But having gotten into Warhammer with Lord of the Rings SBG at the turn of the millennium I'm a really big fan of the older resin and metal sculpts. Those early 2000's models have a crispness and depth of detail which the newer plastic models just lack. The newer sculpts have lots of fiddly bits, but its a different sort of detail, and they are just not as fun to paint. In an ideal world I'd love for them to sell a wider range of heroes in metal, so that you can thumb through the blisterpacks to find the sculpt you want as in days of yore! I'm happy for them to keep the big monsters and the multi part kits in plastic though, that just makes it so much easier.

All that said I think that the one faction which most needs a redesign need it for an entirely different reason. Flesh Eater courts could be far more interesting if they got rid of the naked ghouls and released a line which fits the lore more. I'd love to see models with ragged pennants and wooden splinters crudely fashioned into swords. I'd like to see models with shambling undead horses, and rotten tabards with crudely scrawled heraldry. There is so much that they could do with that idea, its a shame that at present its basically all imaginary!

1. Flesh Hounds

2. Karanak

3. Tuskgor Chariot

4. Razorgor

5. Doombull

6. Bullgors

7. Jabberslythe

8. Chaos Warhounds

9. Frost Sabers

10. Blood Knights

I'd love to see all the resin just, gone all together. But that's another matter entirely.  I haven't had to work with it yet, partly due to avoiding it, so I don't quite know how bad the finecast is for converting. But the horror stories  don't lend to me wanting to invest in something that might be a disaster. 

My choices are  mainly based on technical aspects of the kit. If a model looks good, I'm not going to say it should be redone just because it's finecast or expensive. Especially the latter, I don't really trust GW since the Goldswords incident to remake kits cheaper than before. So as cool as it'd be to see plastic Blood Knights, I bet they'd end up almost Varanguard sized and cost just as much if not more.

So my top 10 are...

1. Zombies
2. Night Runners
3. Gitmob Grots
4. Grot Wolf Riders
5. Chaos Marauders
6. Rat Ogors

The above could really be in any order, but they're tired old 6th edition plastic kits that are really showing their age these days. Some of the old 6th edition kits hold up better than others (like Skinks) but these are the worst of the lot IMO.

7. Tuskgor Chariot - After damage 2 Dragon Ogors, remaking this kit with options for a Beastlord on top would be my next thing on the wishlist. It's obviously not happening, but this kit really shows it's age.

8. Orruk Boar Chariot - For similar reasons. I think perhaps the Chariot itself may be serviceable although a bit vanilla these days, but the Boars have got to go.

9. Fell Bats - Yep, they're plain daft and expensive. Personally I think GW should just chop them from the range altogether, as I don't really think they and the Bat Swarms really add much flavour anyway.

10. Lucky last, Gutter Runners - Eshin definitely has the short end of the stick at the moment. For a faction that should be super cool, other than the old Deathmaster Snitch model they're all pretty old and plain. We need rats leaping and clawing everywhere, not a bunch of monkey men.

It's interesting to see other peoples choices. Some of them I certainly would not be choosing to be redone (Other than perhaps for the reason of plastic is better).

Archived