Forum ordering?

Ben

I would say most of the people you are able to communicate this too are going to be 'event' focused - and I really like what you've done calling them Events rather than tournaments and separating Club organizing.

It's possible that new visitors looking to explore what AoS is, may be more inclined to look at models and hobby. So could see that going first. 

I personally like the idea of the 4 grand alliances being first as it fits with the name and visitors can see what's happening in their favorite factions. This is likely talk about rumors, new models, strategies, etc...

Those are my thoughts

I feel like it's important for a forum not to have too many sub-forums. Most times a single sub with several active threads is better than multiple dead-ish subs.

I'd second putting the Community at the top. Maybe put the painting section right under it. That puts the "universal" sections at the top. These are likely to give better first impressions, hopefully spur a bit of activity. And since they appeal to everyone, having them more accessible is pretty important.

Don't know if we need a News and Rumours section. Until the rumour cycle changes, a new thread each monday in the general discussion part would suffice.

Oh, and maybe have a "off topic" section? Not strictly necessary, but it may be nice to have one.

After that, you could have the more "specialized" forums. Maybe the Grand Alliance or the Events part first.

Don't know if the painting section is structured well. Does Tools and Widgets need an entire forum? I'm not super familiar with how painting forums run (though I did have my own PLOG for 4-ish months), but if lots of sub-forums is the norm, maybe a terrain section would be useful? Or consolidate them until you see an actual need.

Smash together the youtube and podcast sections. Doesn't seem like much point for each of these to have an entire forum dedicated to them. A well moderated thread for each would serve the same purpose and look much better. Ties into my first part, deserted sub-forums just look bad and discourage discussion.

International section is probably best at the bottom. It's pretty common for those to be far down, and they're of no interest to people outside that language group.

I think my comments mostly boil down to "don't overdo it". Too many forums have 20 sub-forums and only 3 active ones. It's easier to open a new section when the neeed arises. It's not so easy to compensate for split attentions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2016 at 4:37 PM, Darth Alec said:

I feel like it's important for a forum not to have too many sub-forums.

Also this.  I'm pretty happy with the current order but, like @StoneMonk, I think the 'Choose Your Alliance' section should be more prominent.  Maybe move it up to just below the main 'The Grand Alliance Community'.

Thank for listen to so much member input @Ben  Much appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Archived