Black Library and the Age of Sigmar complete listings and collections

Overread

@robinlvalentine

I'm actually reading Sacrocanct and other Stories, so I should come to read "The Old Ways" soon (there are about 50 pages between me and the start of The Old Ways).

When reading the description of The Old Ways, there could be another possibility.

THE STORY
Agents Callis and Toll of the Order of Azyr venture into the vast marshlands east of the grand city of Excelis to investigate the death of the noble son of one of two warring clans. Was his death a tragic accident or vicious murder? A full-scale uprising could result if they're not careful – and this would cause untold death as the Stormcast Eternals get involved. So it falls to Callis and Toll to uncover the truths and save thousands of lives.

Written by Nick Horth

I will not spoiler to much about "the Silvershard" only saying that the End of the Book has a timeskip of 4 months for the last chapter.

It could also be possible that "The old ways" could also take place in that 4 month timeskip. The point is that the next grand story shouldn't take place in Excelis or even the same realm.

19 hours ago, Overread said:

Eg Sacrosanct and Gods and Mortals both share 3 of the same short stories and they are published quite close together. 

Yeah, I know that they printed some of the stories multiple times.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:17 AM, Mykah said:

I didn’t see anything about “Scourge of Fate” by Robbie MacNiven. Has anyone read it, and what’s your opinion on it? Also does anyone of know if it’s in softcover?

At the moment this story seems to be ebook only.  In GWs Webshop there are announcements until the end of april, and a printed value of the book isn't part of it.

I only have seen a german release date for this book called "Geissel des Schicksals". And it is announced for August 1, 2019 (but after this is a Thursday I think it would be either July 27 or August 03, 2019.

Edited by EMMachine

7 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

@EMMachine so Black Library got back to me and said City Of Secrets isn't contained in The Silver Shard... so maybe that was only a thing for the German edition?  

Hm, it is a possibility. I just looked at amazons description of the german and the english  version. The english version has about 400 pages and the german one 525. 

In the end City of Sectrets was way to expensive for an 160 page story because it was released in a time where the books where more expensive + hard cover. In the end, if City of Secrets would have been released now, it would have been a book like in the novella Series.

And now I have to fix my list 🤔 (I actually hadn't thought that content could differ in case of the same book).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Overread thanks for the link to this post.

This is my Excel, I'll have a look to try and combine. The dates are a bit missing and didn't enter all different places a novel can be found (mostly just the latest in publication date). I have also not added Labyrinth of the Lost cause it's labelled as a Warhammer Quest novel, I may.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12_0i8q3oPeXUmtJAhO4D_0JiqmRQtlHe/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to comment

Thanks @Overread and @EMMachine for your lists, really helpful. I finally managed to clean up my Excel (found in the link above) with your information.

In May it's coming a new collection of short stories for now present only as eBooks called Myths and Revenants. Didn't know City of Secrets was in the Silver Shard, too late 😂

@Throt the Unclean Neferata and Nagash are collected in a new anthology coming out this summer.

13 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Didn't know City of Secrets was in the Silver Shard, too late 😂

As a correction here. It looks like that this is only the case in the german version. The english book has less pages than the german one.

Edited by EMMachine

On 11/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, Throt the Unclean said:

One-offs: Fine to purchase now. The novel probably won't be part of a series or related to an event and therefore won't be in a collected works book.

• Neferata Mortarch of Blood
  • The Tainted Heart
  • Overlords of the Iron Dragon
  • Nagash the Undying King

After finishing The Tainted Heart today, I can say it isn't a One-off, or at least not anymore (the same for Overlords of the Iron Dragon)

In case of the Iron Dragon crew there is a little prequel story named "Shiprats"

And in case of Talorcan & Esselt (The Tainted Heart) we have "The Witch Takers"

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I partly have the feeling I have a little problem with the stories of C L Werner.

While the shortstories "Shiprats" and "the Witch Takers" were quite nice, in case of Overlords of the Iron Dragon I had the feeling the story was tough as chewing gum and in case of "The Tainted Heart" I was cheering with Talorcan & Esselt for a good ending, but not getting it (and there is no room for a sequel, so the main book basicly ends the story of them, making only room for prequels). 

• LOVE IT! 1

Picked up Sacrosanct and working through it at the moment. The titular story I found a bit disappointing, another case of characterless Stormcast and constant shoe-horning in of units from the wargame - though I did find it funny that the Glaivewraith Stalkers are referred to as being undead Skaven, to the point that he even comes up with a justification for why they would be there. Not just fans who made that assumption, apparently :P 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

@JReynolds I just want to thank you for being such a prolific writer.  You have really helped bring age of Sigmar to life for me and Gardus is my favorite character in all the warhammer books I have read above Gotrek and Honsou.

Thanks! I appreciate you saying that. Glad you enjoyed the stuff I've written. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, Gorthor21 said:

@JReynolds I just want to thank you for being such a prolific writer.  You have really helped bring age of Sigmar to life for me and Gardus is my favorite character in all the warhammer books I have read above Gotrek and Honsou.

I actually have to add to this saying that Souls War is at the moment one of my favourite AoS books and in general love the characterisation of the different protagonists in Josh’s books.

MASSIVE update! 

I've reformatted the listings somewhat to make them (what I hope) is a bit clearer as to what is where. I've been through all the current publications on show and added them now. I've still got to fiddle around highlighting which short stories are unique to various collected editions and add the Inferno short stories (only the AoS ones of course) to the list, but otherwise its up to date at last. 

If you notice any errors or omissions please do say so :)

Updated with a selection of newer books!
AoS - I've put a listing for a reading order for Gotrek's tales, however I'm not sure where Neverspike and Bone Desert sit in the time-line established thus far. I've read Bone Desert and it seems to sit at least after the Realmslayer audio books; meanwhile I've not read Neverspike nor Ghoulslayer (though my impression is that Neverspike will either be set before or after ghoulslayer and more likely after).

There's also a nice range of new books for AoS coming up including:
Court of the Blind King
Profit's Ruin - follows right on from Overlords of the Iron Dragon
The Hammer and the Eagle (a combined AoS and 40K book which might well contain short/novella length stories that are otherwise sold outside of it - no idea yet).
Oaths and Conquests - another anthology likely to contain many of the newer short stories, plus a few unique ones of its own.
Lady of Sorrows
Inferno 5 (which has a very neat Corvus Cabal cover)

25 minutes ago, Overread said:

AoS - I've put a listing for a reading order for Gotrek's tales, however I'm not sure where Neverspike and Bone Desert sit in the time-line established thus far. I've read Bone Desert and it seems to sit at least after the Realmslayer audio books; meanwhile I've not read Neverspike nor Ghoulslayer (though my impression is that Neverspike will either be set before or after ghoulslayer and more likely after).

I had wrote this in the AoS lore and novel thread

On 11/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, EMMachine said:

When we look at Characters in the Story and locations we most likely have the following chronological order (a little unsure about "The Bone Desert"

Realmslayer (coming to the Mortal realms + getting to Hammerhal Aqsha

One, Untended (Searching for a child in Hammerhal Ghyra)

Realm Slayer, Blood of the Old World (waking up in a cell in Hammerhall Ghyra/Leaving Hammerhall Ghyra)

After that seems to be a cut

The Neverspike (Meeting Lord Ordinator Trachos )

Ghoulslayer (Trachos as Compenion, Gotrek want's to kill Nagash. In the End he wants to find his Weapon)

The Bone Desert (Searching for Gotreks Weapon in the Bone Desert)

The point why I'm unsure about Bone Desert is because there was a Mentioning of his Weapon in Realm Slayer Blood of the Old World, but at the end of Bone Desert Gotrek and Melaneth seems to appreciate each other a little more (we didn't have this form of relationship at the start of Ghoulslayer, a little during it).

I sadly haven't read "The Neverspike" yet after it is ebook only at the moment.

Updated with the latest few books, mostly from the Advent Calendar 

@EMMachine interesting reading list for Gotrek. The Neverspike I've read and it fits in right before Ghoulslayer, its basically a prequel that sets up the start of that story. 

I agree that Bone Dessert comes after the other stories, though its a curious one. I suspect that its position might well shift around a fair bit for a while until some further major event changes the characters. Where I might disagree with you is on Blood of the Old World. It seems to my eye that Gotreks relationship with the Master Rune and Malaneth and Gotreks own reflections on himself are all VERY different at the end of that story to what they are in Ghoulslayer. If anything I'd put Blood of the Old World after Ghoulslayer - even though in many other respects it would seem to be placed before it.