20-50% price increase for forge world, even in the US despite now having a local store. FW deleting all criticism on Facebook.

Vhordrai

Do the math. Even with currency conversion taken into account, it is far more expensive now to order FW products locally than it was to buy from the UK.  Especially terrible change for people in the EU outside of the UK. The flat shipping cost on cheaper items is also insanely high now, the threshold for free shipping has been increased, and just straight up bad news all around. How they thought customers would like to pay more from a LOCAL store is beyond me.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Vhordrai said:

Do the math. Even with currency conversion taken into account, it is far more expensive now to order FW products locally than it was to buy from the UK.  Especially terrible change for people in the EU outside of the UK. The flat shipping cost on cheaper items is also insanely high now, the threshold for free shipping has been increased, and just straight up bad news all around. How they thought customers would like to pay more from a LOCAL store is beyond me.

Just a very simple question as I'm old and find it tricky to keep up with current events...

This is about the shipping rate changes right? It's not 100% clear from your post but I'm guessing its that? Can you please clarify?

As for the deletions about the Facebook posts, I can imagine what some of them are like and fully understand why they would be deleted. There's a way to complain about something and basically being negative and nasty is not the way.

5 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just a very simple question as I'm old and find it tricky to keep up with current events...

This is about the shipping rate changes right? It's not 100% clear from your post but I'm guessing its that? Can you please clarify?

As for the deletions about the Facebook posts, I can imagine what some of them are like and fully understand why they would be deleted. There's a way to complain about something and basically being negative and nasty is not the way.

They are blanket deleting anything that mentioned the fact that, when you factor in the price a model used to be + conversion fees, the new local prices are still far worse than they used to be, despite the fact places like the US should in theory be the same or cheaper because they now have a local store.  How badly the price have been increased depends on where you live, but even the places that have been hit the least have a +15 percent flat price increase on the models themselves (to upwards of 40 percent in worse regions) it costs more to meet free shipping despite more local shipment options, and there is now a flat very expensive shipping fee that will render buying single small models absolutely out of the question.

Being UK based its actually better for me  and I don't have a handle on the overseas prices.

That said GW has always used a flat rate per year for the conversion of their prices rather than the current market standing, this generally works in their favour alongside their 3rd party restrictions on regional sales. It sounds like they've now applied that model to FW, however because the FW overseas market was used to importing already they are FAR more aware of the price changes and values and it sounds like GW's internal value is inflating prices far higher than they should be - a 50% increase is nuts! 

The postage also sounds really odd that it would go up since if anything it should have gone down! 

this is either a case of GW making choices that have resulted in an overseas price rise that they knew was coming and are going to weather the storm on or someone has make a huge mistake somewhere! 

12 minutes ago, Vhordrai said:

They are blanket deleting anything that mentioned the fact that, when you factor in the price a model used to be + conversion fees, the new local prices are still far worse than they used to be, despite the fact places like the US should in theory be the same or cheaper because they now have a local store.  How badly the price have been increased depends on where you live, but even the places that have been hit the least have a +15 percent flat price increase on the models themselves (to upwards of 40 percent in worse regions) it costs more to meet free shipping despite more local shipment options, and there is now a flat very expensive shipping fee that will render buying single small models absolutely out of the question.

Okay, you've still not clarified it but I'm fairly sure this is about the shipping.

Right, about the Facebook posts. I'm in agreement with GW deleting any posts which are insulting, rude, or negative. If I was to walk into a shop (any shop not just a GW store) and act how some of these posts come across, I would be asked to leave. I also want to ask that you do not treat TGA in the same manner as being a platform for sounding off about how you feel about this (same goes for anybody on these boards). Constructive criticism is okay but being overly negative is not. Please bear this in mind for future posts ;) 

My thoughts on the subject is that it's not great. Being in the UK it's not a massive issue for me (mainly as I'm not a purchaser of many Forgeworld products), but I am luckly enough to be able to go to Warhammer World and get stuff if I so desire. I'm fairly sure that GW aren't doing this to rip people off or push them away but have had to do this because it was either causing them more cost on shipping things or they have been able to negotiate a deal which is better for the company on a whole (but has an impact on Forgeworld customers as I imagine everything is in Nottingham whilst other GW products can be shipped out in bulk all around the world). 

It's possible this might change in the future if the demand for Forgeworld products drops but I have no idea how much money they make from it and how it all works with the splits for sales for the different world regions. So basically I suggest constructive criticism and feedback for them and vote with your feet. I would also say recasts are bad as you are basically shooting yourself in the foot if you want cool stuff in the future, plus you have no idea what is in the recasts and how it could effect your health (then there is the whole legal issue as well ;) ).

I'm not surprised. Didn't do the math for this FW case (trust OP), but GW products are almost always cheaper to order directly from the UK than buying locally. Even in the EU, you get far better prices for buying+shipping from a 3rd party 2000 km away rather than going to the FLGS that is 3 minute-walk away. Makes one wonder.... 9_9

I suppose that for America/Oceania it must be even worse (due to restrictions). Always thought their conversion rates were quite random (yes, it changes, but in a different way than what GW apparently applies) or with the import excuse (having done a fair amount of shipping around the wolrd, I think it doesn't really add up, especially if you can scale the amount. I'm sure GW does so). Makes it sort of absurd to get FW directly from a US store now.

Sounds like typical pump-up price as they always do when selling outside UK. Too bad.

Canadian Prices have gone up more than 50% from what I can see. I was eyeing up some legion of Azgorh and was going to start with the warhost, which would have cost me approx $180-200 Canadian  - new price is $305(!) - then I have to pay local taxes on TOP (old prices included the VAT).

There will be no chaos dwarfs for me it seems.

Well everyone needs to start praying outside the UK soon that Brexit doesn't ****** up shipping prices even more! ? The fact that the £ is also plummeting can't be great for that either?

Still, at least you don't have Australia's awesome problem ?

Canada is the second highest cost for GW outside Aus/ NZ. The fact that the Pound is plummeting SHOULD mean that things cost LESS not MORE lol

Seems whoever was in charge of this fiasco at GW doesnt understand how international currency exchange works :P

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

There you go! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/22/21st-aug-faster-shipping-better-service-todayfw-homepage-post-1/

On the plus side, you can now pay with PayPal Credit, which gives you 6 months interest free financing on orders over $100 USD. The lack of this option actually stopped me last year from purchasing a Legion army, as I like to buy models in bulk but also want to keep cash on hand. This change alone might have just ensured I buy a Legion army in 2019!

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Okay, you've still not clarified it but I'm fairly sure this is about the shipping.

Right, about the Facebook posts. I'm in agreement with GW deleting any posts which are insulting, rude, or negative. If I was to walk into a shop (any shop not just a GW store) and act how some of these posts come across, I would be asked to leave. I also want to ask that you do not treat TGA in the same manner as being a platform for sounding off about how you feel about this (same goes for anybody on these boards). Constructive criticism is okay but being overly negative is not. Please bear this in mind for future posts ;) 

My thoughts on the subject is that it's not great. Being in the UK it's not a massive issue for me (mainly as I'm not a purchaser of many Forgeworld products), but I am luckly enough to be able to go to Warhammer World and get stuff if I so desire. I'm fairly sure that GW aren't doing this to rip people off or push them away but have had to do this because it was either causing them more cost on shipping things or they have been able to negotiate a deal which is better for the company on a whole (but has an impact on Forgeworld customers as I imagine everything is in Nottingham whilst other GW products can be shipped out in bulk all around the world). 

It's possible this might change in the future if the demand for Forgeworld products drops but I have no idea how much money they make from it and how it all works with the splits for sales for the different world regions. So basically I suggest constructive criticism and feedback for them and vote with your feet. I would also say recasts are bad as you are basically shooting yourself in the foot if you want cool stuff in the future, plus you have no idea what is in the recasts and how it could effect your health (then there is the whole legal issue as well ;) ).

I think what Vhordrai is saying is that it isn't just shipping price that is getting changed, it's the price of the actual model.  Everywhere outside of the UK has had price increases, varying from 10-50% of the overall model value.  This is excluding anything to do with the shipping change.

For example: Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought
UK Price: £ 47
US Price: $ 73 USD (£56.51)
AUD Price: $ 110 AUD (£62.58)

This amounts to about a 20% increase in model price for customers in the United States and about 33% increase in model price for customers in Australia.  Again, these figures are STRICTLY THE MODEL PRICE.

Now, changes to shipping.  Shipping amounts have been changed from a flat percentage based shipping method to a flat fee.  This sounds good, however, we have to look at smaller - mid value models as they are the ones that are hurt the most.  Shipping to Australia for the Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought is $20 AUD.  This shipping price is greater than the 15% of the previous system, which would have been $12.39 AUD for the original price.  Other countries, such as Canada have even more expensive shipping, with $27 CAD, whereas 15% on the leviathan's original price would have Canadian's only paying $11.84 CAD shipping.

Additional amounts such as shipping shown above add up greatly, especially when you need to keep in mind the additional taxes and other unexpected charges that may occur at the borders.

Also, moderation is one thing, but they are deleting comments that outline how bad this practice is.  They aren't taking their global player base's concerns into consideration, and are instead deleting any type of post that mentions the hikes.  I've seen numerous posts get deleted and they were just stating financial facts.  I don't think it is fair to lump everyone in as an overly negative troll.

well the people in the US where already paying for that 20% increase in models for GW products to begin with, it mainly if you think those product are worth it on that price bracket ( do you think a Colossal Squig is worth being a 10 dollar cheaper Maw Krusha). still the Shipping cost does seem a bit Ludacris for Canada and Australia especially.

I probably will still buy the Squig bundle set since if I buy it now it 190$ with free shipping for this month.

FW have changed their pricing into local currency, they will not do this on live exchange rates, that would mean your prices changes every minute of every day. 

They will have a business exchange rates for this year (and probably the next two) already set. These rates will be used to create all the pricing in local currency. This BER will be set to protect them against currency fluctuation. What you are seeing is the confidence buffer in your local currencies long term strength.  

This way FW can be confident whatever happens in the Global currency markets they will make the contribution margins they want on their products.

2 hours ago, LLV said:

I thought trolling was against forum rules?

Not sure how this is trolling. I would love the main studio to do them. They’ve never had a proper army since I’ve been playing way back in 4th edition and I would love to see them get the main studio make over (especially in plastic!!).

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

Thanks. I thought this was the case but the original poster just dropped out their thoughts on this rather than provided some background

1 hour ago, the_master288 said:

I think what Vhordrai is saying is that it isn't just shipping price that is getting changed, it's the price of the actual model.  Everywhere outside of the UK has had price increases, varying from 10-50% of the overall model value.  This is excluding anything to do with the shipping change.

For example: Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought
UK Price: £ 47
US Price: $ 73 USD (£56.51)
AUD Price: $ 110 AUD (£62.58)

This amounts to about a 20% increase in model price for customers in the United States and about 33% increase in model price for customers in Australia.  Again, these figures are STRICTLY THE MODEL PRICE.

I think this is part of the problem we are seeing in the UK. I don’t want to turn this political but Brexit has had a massive effect on the UK and a lot of businesses want things to be predictiable and fair. I would guess GW are trying to safeguard themselves with any future bumps with exchange rates.

I think their logic in this but that doesn’t help people. I doubt they are doing it to spite people though.

1 hour ago, the_master288 said:

Also, moderation is one thing, but they are deleting comments that outline how bad this practice is.  They aren't taking their global player base's concerns into consideration, and are instead deleting any type of post that mentions the hikes.  I've seen numerous posts get deleted and they were just stating financial facts.  I don't think it is fair to lump everyone in as an overly negative troll.

I will agree with that but I know how “passionate” some people can get. It’s a tough one but I imagine in six months time if I visited the page as a new customer, last thing I would want to see is complaints about prices. That’s why I imagine all these types of comments are being deleted. 

Archived