How and why did you lose your last game?

Ben

31 minutes ago, Somanlius said:

Played a fun game today, my Ironjawz v Nighthaunt. Had a great time, Gordrrak wreaked havoc with multiple charges in a row and I got off a Mighty Waaaaag! and Voice of Gork combo on my Ironfist battalion for some crazy amounts of attacks. I ended up losing after Kurdoss stole 3 command points from me during the game, Megaboss missed a charge on Olynder and she proceeded to decimate me with mortal wounds over a double turn. Super fun game though, been months since I played Ironjawz and this was my first game with them in 2.0

Don't you love the interaction in design and counter play allowed for Kurdoss? I'm lying, there's none. He could be a 100 point endless spell that only did the one thing that only he does an no one else does and people would take him. What an anti-fun moronic design. I say that as a Death player. 

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

Don't you love the interaction in design and counter play allowed for Kurdoss? I'm lying, there's none. He could be a 100 point endless spell that only did the one thing that only he does an no one else does and people would take him. What an anti-fun moronic design. I say that as a Death player. 

He's crazy. Two games in a row I had command points stolen from me three turns in a row haha. And he even has a good save a good attacks too! Makes me always want to take a battalion, just to make sure I have at least one command point when I play against him.

Been a while since my last loss because of a long hiatus and adapting to a more casual meta now I've moved (trying to find a good balance between strong and fluffy to make games fun still).

The last loss I do remember was against a Stormcast list with a large unit of Vanguard-Palladors. I knew what they could do from a previous game so played carefully around them all game but then completely forgot about their Ride the Winds ability after thinking I'd locked down just enough objectives to win.

He proceeded to roll slightly above average giving him the distance to take the centre objective despite my blocking line in the final turn and win the game.

Made me realise that even when playing objectives I need to pay attention to what my opponent is doing because even though I might have a great plan to win the game, my opponent probably does too.

Lost last night with 2k nighaunt against Slyvaneth, was playing one of the variations on meteor strike.

First objective landed slap bang in the middle of a wild wood in the centre of the board, second deep in amongst a big unit of dryads and the one in my territory landed in the centre part where I had no troops. Ended up having to try and redeploy to get near the one in my territory and should have been braver with the centre objective in the wild wood. lost 5-2 on victory points. Rousing the bloody woods was very inconvenient.

I lost a game last night versus @Nico I was glad to lose it as it exposed a lack of practice and what a dumbo I can be. TBH the odds were a bit stacked with army combinations and scenerio but essentially I lost it because I chased objectives too hard in Turn 2 - fleeing two scoring characters, a Warpseer and a Demon Prince towards the objective in Relocation Orb when it went into Nicos line. I should have focused on the job in hard - killing some Palladors and Liberators, instead of essentially sacrificing, as it turns out, rather pointlessly.  

Great topic!

My last battle: I was playing stop the ritual as Wanderers vs  Deathrattle.

I did make one mistake: my general was nowhere near the ritual site as I misread the rules. 

However my biggest problem was not dealing with the new Summoning rules effectively. 

I identified (correctly IMO) the biggest threat to my army as the unit of 20 black knights, so they became the target for all of my shooting . It was successful - unit wiped out.

Unit was then re-summoned.

Again, targeted with shooting (less effectively as my alpha-strike ability had been used up first time around). This time it took all my shooting, plus my general  in close combat - who took some wounds in the process. 

You guessed it - unit re-summoned. 

My opponent started with 20 black knights on the table. I killed 43 black knights over the course of the battle. He had 17 remaining at the end...

Summoning is a very powerful mechaning. In hindsight, I should have taken the time to understand the mechanic and then target his general with everything I had. The trouble would have been trying to do that without getting wiped out by 20 black knights smashing into my fragile little Aelves. 

12 hours ago, Ben said:

This is turning in to a great topic.  Try to think about what you could do differently next time and how you will do it.  

1. Ask my opponent what alligiance from the Legions of Nagash he plays.

2. If answer to 1. Means the hand of dust swinging necro cowboy enters the field I will wil bring REND! Blight Cyst and Nurglings will take this one home!

3. If none of the above works I will have to secretly ‘borrow’ his Nagash mini and swap its head with one from a My Little Pony doll. The rainbow embarrasment will be so great that he will never bring the pink/purple glittering lord of undeath to another game.

Come at me sparkling necromancer if ye dare!

My last loss was against BCR, I was playing Deepkin.  I'm still struggling a bit to adapt to how aggressive I need to be with the Deepkin, coming from non-clown car KO its a completely different play style and mindset. We were playing Three places of power(I think thats the name, has 3 objectives in the middle and heroes can hold them) I had first turn and should have just pushed everything forward to let my Eidolonn/King hold objectives with my eels screening them from Snowballs. Instead I hung back and he ended up getting positioned on the objectives and I couldnt knock him off of them until turn 4.

Most of my deepkin losses seem to come from playing too reserved.

Ace topic, and one that speaks to my most common experience in AoS! ?

I lost my last game of Death vs Aelves/Seraphon in 3 Places of Arcane Awesomeness cos i held back to try and keep eels and dragons oit of combat for a bit, allowing a slow old slann and his saurus bodyguards to castle on an objective and hold it for most of the game!

I need to be way more offensive with my zombie dragon ghoul king, his 6 flayers and their handy gravetide, so i dictate the flow of battle and vice versa. Summoning random ghouls everywhere was fun, but i need to apply weight of numbers on one part of the battlefield.

22 hours ago, DionTheWanderer said:

Great topic!

My last battle: I was playing stop the ritual as Wanderers vs  Deathrattle.

I did make one mistake: my general was nowhere near the ritual site as I misread the rules. 

However my biggest problem was not dealing with the new Summoning rules effectively. 

I identified (correctly IMO) the biggest threat to my army as the unit of 20 black knights, so they became the target for all of my shooting . It was successful - unit wiped out.

Unit was then re-summoned.

Again, targeted with shooting (less effectively as my alpha-strike ability had been used up first time around). This time it took all my shooting, plus my general  in close combat - who took some wounds in the process. 

You guessed it - unit re-summoned. 

My opponent started with 20 black knights on the table. I killed 43 black knights over the course of the battle. He had 17 remaining at the end...

Summoning is a very powerful mechaning. In hindsight, I should have taken the time to understand the mechanic and then target his general with everything I had. The trouble would have been trying to do that without getting wiped out by 20 black knights smashing into my fragile little Aelves. 

Last time I played against a legion of nagash army I had great fun in leaving just a couple of models alive in each unit. 36 skeletons just sitting there not being summoned back is such a good sight.

My last loss was against a skyre army. What lost me the game was not making sure I had the objectives and last turn realm wandering a unit of sisters instead of a waywatcher to try and punish his central unit of stormfiends. Was a very good and tense game though

Last loss was against FEC.

I didn't actually start badly. I deepstriked Drycha and she hurt a lot of ghouls, I then charged and killed most of the others. Unfortunately, they came back. Then double turn meant a load came back. 

My mistake was throwing Durthu into that flank to try and avenge Drycha, he was then able to push the left flank and wheel round, my hunters held him up but Spites died on the objectives and it was all over, bar a cross Durthu windmilling into stuff 

My last loss was to Idoneth Deepkin.  Playing on a 4x4 with one objective in each players zone.  He kept away until high tide, then popped Volturnos's command ability four times on the same three units and smashed into my advance.  I was able to hold my own line and do some damage back, but it was never enough to offset the point deficit.  Guaranteeing him the win on a tie (which is what happened).

I wanted to influence my opponents unit placement by making odd decisions in my own unit deployment, all to somehow "confuse" him.  It didn't end well. Also my Eternal Guard got obliterated before they could set up their formation around an objective.
During a differerent game against Nurgle I gambled and used the Realm Wanderers ability to deploy my Glade Guard at another table edge to unleash Arcane Bodkins into 10 Blightkings. Somehow I had hoped that he would not be able to make his charge. Never underestimate the Mobility of Nurgle units and figure in trees. ?
I always stretch out too thin and tend to build a line, but the frail wanderers need to support each other.  

Was planning on playing skirmish but ended up playing a 1k table the other guy pickup game. 

I didn't bring my maggotkin book so I ended up using GA:Chaos allegiance and only had a poxbringer, lord of plagues, a plague priest, a unit of 5 blightkings, a unit of 10 plaguebearers, a unit of 9 plaguebearers and a chaos knight I proxied as a LoC on daemonic mount vs 2 dragon lords and 2 units of dragon blades. 

He gives me first turn, I cast mystic shield move past turn. He runs  the dragons to some ruins 12" from my LoP general and kills him with dragon fire. Round 2 he wins roll off, blows horn, attempts to delete my Lord of chaos with dragonfire, finishes it off with the bows, crashes the dragon blades into my plaguebearer units, then one dragon on the plague priest and the other on the blightking. Couple of dice rolls later I'm down to just a poxbringer and he has lost 2 dragon blades so I shake his hand and concede.

The last loss was against blades of khorne (mortals).

i usually play skaven a little bit different and keep them behind to sit and wait.

just against such an army I chose to go straight up with everything, so i could keep my objective and not loose them to soon. 

this strategy work rather good, since I held most of the objective for 3 rounds.

the problem was only, that having 90 rats (60clanrats, 30ague monks) didn’t really last that long.

sadly at the end of turn 4 my army was fully whipped from the table, and he easily got more victory points.

My last game was my Seraphon vs. Monsters of Chaos.  Lots of chaos trolls, chaos ogors, a warpfire dragon, some other things versus my Slaan, Saurus Guard, Skinks, Astrolith Bearer, Bastilodon and some others.  We were playing Kill the Messenger from the Open War cards.

My messenger was the Astrolith Bearer.  My opponent's was the Warpfire dragon.  Need I say more?  I'm bad at this mission.

PS:  You might ask why I didn't make the Bastilodon my messenger and it would be a reasonable question.  To be fair, though, my Bastilodon still died early to some unlucky saves against Chaos Ogors.  'shrug'

It's been a while since I've actually played, but my last loss was due to trying to make a non-summoning Seraphon cavalry list work at 1k, including battalion, vs my own competitive Tzeentch list.

Yeah no... ?

Rolled Starstrike. I 3-dropped and took turn 1, killing the gaunt with a teleported old blood carnosaur's gauntlet shots, after sitting most of my units near the centre to pre-empt the first objective. The old blood nearly dies in return fire, but the first objective drops right on me in turn 2. Moved my scar vet carnosaur up to try and break a hole in the acolyte chaff to start hacking at the LoC, but i just can't get in and both carnosaurs end up paste. Turn 3 and I'm up in points, but my hitters are gone, and the Tzeentch force can move up-field to start dislodging me. Turn 4 and I'm pretty much tabled... ?

What did i learn?

Don't bother with battalions at 1k, but do take more bodies and guns/spells so my hitters aren't so much doing kamikaze runs, but rather surgical strikes. ?

Playtested Fecund Quagmire with DoK against a mixed order army with significant shooting investment(not actually a gunline, but 800pts or so of shooting).

Fecund Quagmire won that game. Not being able to run nullified DoKs speed advantage and let his ranged units do just massive amounts of damage. Playing to the mission made the game closer than it should have been, but his army was more resilient, wiped out huge chunks of mine at range, and was close to as fast. Tactically we agreed their was pretty much nothing I could have possibly done to win that game in Fecund Quagmire. We've played these same lists before in normal games and I think I'm something like 3-1 against it, though the games are always close.

Some list changes would have given me a chance, but I used my general tournament list against his general tournament list to better simulate pulling FQ randomly. With Khailebron and a Morathi having Mirrorpool I would have had some chance, but the lopsided effect it had on our armies was immediately obvious.

Archived