How and why did you lose your last game?

Ben

Simple question.  

Pretty deep analysis.  

How did you lose your last game and what could you have done differently? 

My last loss was vs @Beardyface and I probably could have just stayed at home!!!!

Hahaha.  Actually, I think the main issue was my list being all wrong.  I tried an infantry based list with Death shrieker support.  The infantry tarpits needs more counter attacking punch to make it effective.  I was rolled over by the Akhelian Guard too easily. 

I also didn't do a great job of closing off board space to restrict his movement.  

I spent half my points of a 1000 point list on endless spells and sorceresses to cast them at the expense of people who could actually fight. I suspected it wasn't going to be a good idea, but mainly wanted to get a feel for what the spells did. My foe then played Tzeetch, so that didn't help, magically speaking.

The last game I lost was against Death at 1000 points playing Slaanesh. Their list was mostly two large units of black knights, dire wolves, a necromancer, and a vampire lord. It wasn't too bad to fight head on, and I wiped most of his army out on my charge, but he got the double turn and summoned everything back. Normally I would try go for the heroes in death, but nothing in my army can fly and his heroes were behind a screen so I couldn't reach them (the ranged assault of Slaanesh is pitiful). In addition, we only got two turns in before time so I'm not sure if things would have gone differently with more time.

One thing I could definitely do better is play the objectives - my list is often very killy, but lacks the spare units to capture objectives. If I stick my big units on the objectives then I take too much of my army away, so I really need to have multiple small units to capture things - maybe mauraders as they have a lot of wounds per point.  

My last game was my Khorne vs Tzeentch. Scorched earth, by turn 5 he had razed all the objectives on my side and I had razed one of his with a summoned bloodthirster. I had bottom of turn 5. I had 20 bloodletters and the bloodthirster on his centre objective vs 10 blue horrrors and a screamer. On his right objective I only had my skullgrinder left with 2 wounds, but he had to clear out 5 blue horrors so I could claim both objectives and raze them, hoping to score 5 victory points to win the game... So the skullgrinder minces the blue horrors without a problem buuuuut they have a little rule called split again, and can either split into brimstone summoning points... or take Petty vengeance. He took petty vengeance rolling 5 dice needing sixes to cause a mortal wound. He rolled 3 sixes ?

So my skullgrinder died and I no longer held that objective and thus lost the game. But hey I scored 3vp for razing his other one. XD

If I had done something differently I would have summoned the  20 bloodletters first instead of the bloodthirster. I would have gotten his central objective a turn earlier and I probably would have summoned something to help the skullgrinder as well. I i tried bringing in the bloodletters near him on turn 4 but there was just no position that would have helped because of terrain and enemy units.

My last loss was a 1K 5player battle with DoK. I had: slaughter queen on Cauldron, medusa, hag queen, assassin, 30 witches, 10 sisters of slaughter. 

First turn (due to close deployment) the Kahadron player took out the whole unit of witches. I forgot the -1 to hit from my temple. He misinterpreted the shadow port command trait of re-rolls to hit. Both were relatively new to the armies and that would have made a huge difference. 

The lesson though is always bring a command point with a 'hordy' army. Battleshock can be rough. I dropped the assassin since and it was really worth the trade off. (even though playing 80pts down in 1K feels like a lot!)

And a 5 player Triumph and Treachery game takes soooo long, haha. Next time we'll be doing that skirmish style. 

My last loss came because I brought an inferior list.  I was not maxing my mortal wound output like I should have been and my opponent was able to match my mortal wound output and additionally was able to summon like 850 extra points during the game which overwhelmed me.  Lists are everything in this game.

So I either need to up my mortal wound output to offset the extra free points of summoning, or I need to also add my own free extra summoning points to keep up.

I played like a person who deeply hates himself, left my Chainrasps open to being charged in the first turn, charged Reikenor into combat for some reason, continuously picked combats in the wrong order and went hell-for-leather to fight Sylvaneth in a wyldwood instead of just sitting back and spamming mortal wound spells while waiting for him to come out and go for the objectives.

At Blackout for game 4 I played an arkhan magic heavy list with only 60 skellies as battleline against a seraphon kroak list with lots of skinks and other units being summoned by two engines and a slann and a kroak. 

It was the scenario with 6 objectives. 

I set up around two objs. I left two x 10 skellies in the grave. In his turn he teleported skinks on to my 3rd objective.

Why didn't I set up skeletons on that obj to prevent him doing so? 

I then forgot about both units so they never arose from the grave the whole game 

7 minutes ago, chord said:

I brought a fun fluffy list they brought a stomp face list even though we said it was a casual game.

Never play them again then.

I lost my last game because i was a little tired and left my GUO completely exposed because he's so fat I couldn't see that I hadn't place my 30 plaguebearers entirely in front of him. 

18 minutes ago, chord said:

I brought a fun fluffy list they brought a stomp face list even though we said it was a casual game.

Often I see this, but thats because what defines "casual game" is different between people.

For me, my casual lists would also be considered stomp face lists, even though they would struggle in tournaments, they are still strong lists.  That is a problem with the point-system though in my opinion.

Three-way game, 2000 points, tiny deployment zones. 

I went first T1, didn't spread out too far (waiting to jump in, not too fast).  Later in T1 I failed to unbind a Gnashing Jaws that went all up in my backside, major havoc.  I ended up going 2nd in T2 (meaning the guy going 3rd got to move it, so I didn't get to move it somewhere safe), so Gnashing Jaws ended up moving through me again before I could move or even try to dispel it.  Attempted and failed to dispel it on my T2.  Moved as far away from it as I could, which wasn't actually all that far...  Ended up going 2nd again in T3 so it moved over all my best stuff again, basically wiping me out (had some units left, but no heroes by then).

Last game I lost with DoK was against a Sylvaneth list @ 1000 points. My opponent did a good job of zoning out my Heartrenders so I couldn't take out his squishy heros. Instead of waiting for a better shot in later turns I still brought them down and threw them at inefficient targets. It was the only game I lost in that tournament, and it was the only game I didn't make the right play with my Heartrenders.

Fought a seraphon with 2000 points of storm cast and got pushed off the objective I needed to prevent an instant win. I was surprised that saurus could go to 2+ saves and my sequitors had no chance against the inevitable push towards the objective. 

Learned that I needed to grab some reliable shooting units to benefit from all the phases as spells were not working in my favor at all. 

Sedges bladeghast ended our game turn 3 rolling a 10 on the charge. The charge phase and subsequent combat phase saw off my complete flank (and potential challenge for the objective) 

we called it there. Unfortunately nothing I could do about that particular mechanic but it was a fun game none the less :) 

Last loss was against Death. As a Nurgle guy, for this game I expected to see a lot of zombies, Skelletons or Direwolves from my local Death player. So I decided to check if Nurgle could carry the summoning game and went in on this 2000pt game with Horticulus Slimux, Menagerie battalion and lots of Blight Kings. I would go after my opponents Arkhan the Black and buy time to summon stuff to ambush his objectives.

Anyway my friend went for a totally different list and with only a single rottbringer wizard I faced of against Nagash, Prince Vordrai and a bunch of Morghast. 

Since I were low on rend and magic Nagash had the time of his (un)life and while I was slowly getting hacked to bits my only chance was to have the menagerie staying back while gathering contagion points. My kings managed to take out a couple of mortachs and as a result victory came closer as nurglings and petty units took enough objective points for me to take the lead. However my doom was ineviteable and my fear of Nagash ended up being the thing that kept me from winning. Had I dared to sacrifice one beast of nurgle to Nagash it would have given me one of his objectives early on thus increasing my victory point lead. Instead it all fell apart in the 5th turn. 

Pretty glad I managed to put up such a fight despite building an army that was so way off. 

Also, this was the first time I met Nagash in AOS and Iv’e been a fan of his since back when he was a white metal jolly looking skelleton wearing a purple dress and a trafficcone on his head. so I guess it was kinda like if I were getting beaten up by my favourite rockstar at his concert. Painfull but pretty cool too?

Last Loss was against Tzeentch. It was a trial version of my list for EGGS, Stegadon and second Chameleons, and I think alot of endless spells.

Just so many mortal wounds and didn't get Emerald Lifeswarm summoned. Plus the Stegadon got done in by those stingray things.

Plus my first game fielding the shadowstrike, and I forgot to do half the stuff it enables like the marking a unit. 

Terradons did superb work taking out an objective holding unit for me to keep it close till I just got tabled and the points got away. 

Actually was closer than I thought come to think of it, cause if my rolls had gone better and gotten rid of another objective there would've been a point or two in it.

Changed the list to two bastiladons and just Lifeswarm for the Mortal Wound Saves and Rezzing Saurus Guard at that point. 

17 hours ago, Ben said:

How did you lose your last game and what could you have done differently? 

The latter part of this is the most important part of improving. Even if "you had no chance, totally lost because of {randomness or bullcrap}," there's always something to learn. Heck, even when you win a game, you can always find something to improve upon. Always ask yourself what you could've done differently.

I have to stretch my mind back quite far to my last loss since I've been running hot this last month or more but... it was the mirror match. I "lost to Hand of Dust" in the mirror match (Grand Host of Nagash vs. Grand Host of Nagash). My opponent had Arkhan and I did not so I deployed "smart" to force him to use all of his resources or over-commit. I knew the game would come down to a Hand of Dust off no matter what I did though and rather than play conservatively, I should've went aggressive early. If I'm going to lose to a "50/50 anyway" I should've at least made strong decisions early and pressured him into getting lucky rather than waiting for him (or me) to get lucky. 

13 hours ago, chord said:

Similar experience. 2k game I brought a list that was legal but mostly about the fluff I wrote for it and cool looking models. He brought an optimised list with unkillable combo shenanigans. He was Deepkin and set his ships around each objective so to even score I need to be giving him cover and taking mortals. It wasn't fun.

What's more, upon further research I discovered he was misrepresenting several rules/abilities/artifacts that impacted the course of the battle. 

Played a fun game today, my Ironjawz v Nighthaunt. Had a great time, Gordrrak wreaked havoc with multiple charges in a row and I got off a Mighty Waaaaag! and Voice of Gork combo on my Ironfist battalion for some crazy amounts of attacks. I ended up losing after Kurdoss stole 3 command points from me during the game, Megaboss missed a charge on Olynder and she proceeded to decimate me with mortal wounds over a double turn. Super fun game though, been months since I played Ironjawz and this was my first game with them in 2.0

3 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Similar experience. 2k game I brought a list that was legal but mostly about the fluff I wrote for it and cool looking models. He brought an optimised list with unkillable combo shenanigans. He was Deepkin and set his ships around each objective so to even score I need to be giving him cover and taking mortals. It wasn't fun.

What's more, upon further research I discovered he was misrepresenting several rules/abilities/artifacts that impacted the course of the battle. 

23 minutes ago, Ben said:

This is turning in to a great topic.  Try to think about what you could do differently next time and how you will do it.  

Outside of the issues I already mentioned I absolutely made some misplays that I can learn from. Playing Celestial Vindicators, your buffs come in combat phases but that doesn't mean your units are going to be able to punch out everyone else's combat buffs. I deployed my fulminators and sequitors in the reverse position that I should have which effectively eliminated the maneuverability the fulminators bring to the table. I also got my dracolines stuck into the wrong combat. All these were also underpinned by the mistake I made trying to push the deepkin off the center objective which basically set up as a killzone. I need to get better at being a divided force if my opponent is always going to concentrate his into one bubble area. 

Archived