Order Draconis - in Death?

Big Rob

Hi all, 

I really liked a recent Order Draconis tournament list, rocking 4 dragons, and am wondering if Death can do something similar. I like both LoB and FEC, wondering which would be better (if any):

Court Draconis - Legion of Blood

4x VLOZD (one general + realm artifact, unknown spells)

3x 10 Skeletons (battleline, for objectives)

= 2000/2000

(*could replace 2 minimum skeleton units for 2 minimum dire wolf units, and a Prince Vhordrai instead of 4th VLoZD, but remember the prince doesn't benefit from LoB trait like the vamp lord does)

On the Flesh Eaters side, I was imagining something like:

"Order" Draconis - FEC

1 AGKoZD (general, realm artifact)

3 AGKoTG

3x 10 ghouls (battleline, for objectives)

=1940/2000 for extra 1 cp

Any thoughts if either list could work competitively in a style similar to Order Draconis? Legion of Blood offers stronger monsters and spells, while Flesh Eaters offer free summoning of new units. 

Thoughts/feedback appreciated! 

A lot of what makes the Order Draconis list tick is the battalions giving you access to extra artefacts like the doppelganger cloak and quicksilver potion to really get the melee alpha strike off. The problem with a load of vampire lords is Death's lack of battalions, you won't be able to break up the regular flow of combat and really hammer the enemy  on the charge, plus you'll be limited on CP which the VLoZD is hungry for.

FEC have a monster mash battalion, but the monsters in it are the non-leader versions, so whilst you'll have the extra CP you still don't get the extra artefacts and FEC monsters are quite a bit squishier than the VLoZD.

Your best bet to do the Death monster mash and have it able to hit relatively hard would be the one Legion of Blood battalion, you have to put up with the crappy Bloodseeker Palanquin but you get Neferata and 2 VLoZDs who will both have artefacts. It's slightly cheaper than 4 dragons as well, so you can put a few more bodies on the table.

14 hours ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

A lot of what makes the Order Draconis list tick is the battalions giving you access to extra artefacts like the doppelganger cloak and quicksilver potion to really get the melee alpha strike off. The problem with a load of vampire lords is Death's lack of battalions, you won't be able to break up the regular flow of combat and really hammer the enemy  on the charge, plus you'll be limited on CP which the VLoZD is hungry for.

FEC have a monster mash battalion, but the monsters in it are the non-leader versions, so whilst you'll have the extra CP you still don't get the extra artefacts and FEC monsters are quite a bit squishier than the VLoZD.

Your best bet to do the Death monster mash and have it able to hit relatively hard would be the one Legion of Blood battalion, you have to put up with the crappy Bloodseeker Palanquin but you get Neferata and 2 VLoZDs who will both have artefacts. It's slightly cheaper than 4 dragons as well, so you can put a few more bodies on the table.

Thanks for the feedback! Indeed the LoB strategy you mentioned I did consider, but honestly those Mortarch models look so flimsy! They look like they're held up with a skinny piece of plastic, though maybe the appearances are deceiving and they're sturdier than I'm giving credit. 

Edit- the models look fantastic, I'm just worried mortarchs have structural issues like some nighthaunt or some flying base models. Looks can be deceiving though? 

On 8/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, Furious Robert said:

I had a thought of using GKoZD with 3 GKoTg. But the GK on foot has a great spell so would drop one of the GKoTg and beef up the ghouls

Hey Robert, 

That might end up being a good call, though losing the 4th shock melee unit has got to hurt offensively. If only there was a way to squeeze a 4th beast in, even unridden! 

Archived