Help with 1000pts to get friend into AoS

Horsleben

Hello there!

I have been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, and now i really need your help.

I am a fairly new AoS SCE player (please dont kill me!) and i would really like to introduce my old WHFB buddy to the game. He has a big (like really big!) Vampire Counts force that he is really attached to, so i was planning to make a 1000pts list for him to try the game with - using some of his old units.

So what i would like your awesome gentlemens help with, is making a nice, simple 1000 list, which is representative of AoS 2.0 and GA:Death. I know this is perhaps an impossible task, but i know next to nothing about Death myself in AoS

Regarding models he has almost every VC unit in existence - 100+ Skellies, 100+ Zombies, 50+ Ghouls, Zombie Dragon, Vampires on foot and on horse, Black Coach, spirithosts, etc etc.

What he doesnt have, is the newer units like Nagash, Mortachs, Morghasts and so on.

I really hope you can help me

Cheers,

Jon

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon

Necromancer

40 Skeletons

20 Skeletons

Simple as that. Death can be pretty flimsy and unbalanced without any battle traits; in the spirit of giving him a good time, let him play with a 6+ save whenever a wound or mortal wound is allocated to something within 6" of a hero.

31 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

When I get home I will PM you everything you need with regards to Battletome: Legions of Nagash to get you started. If he enjoys the game, the battletome is the first thing to pick up so he has the full lot.

Thank you very much AlphaKennyThing - no doubt that the Battletome is first on the "to-buy" list.. But i first need to get him hooked ;)

Jon

First of all: Damn you for serving the thief!!! The traitor!!! I hope your friend will destroy you and your shiny boys... XD

GA:Death has almost everything for a first game, but LoN enables him to compete, maybe want to start with the basic rules first, before going into extras like gravesites, realm rules and endless spells.

With all his stuff from the Old World, there are a bunch of options for him. Black Knights are cool for casual, Necromancer with 40 Skellis is a classic, Lord on Dragon is decent and if he has any dire wolves, they kick butt for a huge discount. So I guess there are no good tips for the first list, since he has to figure out if he wants to be fast (wolves and knights) or go grinding (skellis or zombies with corpse cart).

ghouls are only for flesh eater courts and even there pretty expensive.

So: necromancer, vampire lord  with 40 skellis and 5 wolves for your battleline...

then you still have 410 points left.

another vamp with 10 black knights or 6 spirit hosts(140+240)...or another necromancer with 50 zombies (110+300)

there is a funny sheet out there for GW-workers how to play with newbies and although I do not condone cheating or turning some dice as they call it, I would recommend not stomping your friend... you can always up your game later, or maybe even he will bring the cheese to the table ;-D

have fun!

Ok, decided just to stick it up here. This isn't a competitive list, it's just something that has a variety of units for your friend to try out and have a throw-down game with to get him hooked.

Legion of Sacrament 1k
Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
LEADERS
Vampire Lord (140)

- Artefact: Azyrbane Standard - Subtract 1 from wound rolls for enemy units within 6" of the Vampire Lord. Re-roll successful casting rolls made by ORDER WIZARDS  within 6" of the Vampire Lord)

- Command Trait: Peerless Commander - Death units within 6" of the Vampire Lord at the start of the Hero Phase may make a 3" move as if it were the movement phase. They cannot run as part of this move.

- Extra Spell: Vile Transference - Casting value of 7. Pick an enemy unit within 12", and then a friendly DEATH unit within 6" of that enemy unit. If cast successfully, the enemy unit suffers D3 Mortal Wounds. For each wound not negated, you may heal that many wounds or return that many wounds' worth of models to the DEATH unit.

Necromancer (110)

- Extra Spell: Decrepify - Casting value of 6. Pick an enemy HERO within 18" of the caster that is visible. Until your next Hero Phase, subtract 1 from wound rolls, and subtract 1 from the damage characteristic of that model's melee weapons to a minimum of 1.

Necromancer (110)

- Extra Spell: Fading Vigour - Casting value of 6. Pick an enemy unit within 18" that is visible to the caster. Until your next Hero Phase, subtract 1 from the number of attacks that unit can make to a minimum of 1, and it may only roll a single dice when charging.

UNITS
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Black Knights (120)

ARMY ABILITIES (LEGION OF SACRAMENT)

Unquiet Dead (Gravesites): Prior to the game, after terrain is setup but before deployment, set up 4 gravesites on the battlefield, two of them in your territory, and two of them anywhere on the battlefield. During deployment, you can pick any number of SUMMONABLE units and say that they are in the grave. At the end of your movement phase, for each DEATH HERO within 9" of a gravesite, you may pick a single unit in the grave and set it up wholly within 9" of that gravesite and more than 9" from enemy models. Any model unable to be setup in this way is slain. Any unit in the grave at the end of the battle is considered slain.

Invigorating Aura: When one of your SUMMONABLE units is within 9" of a gravesite in your Hero Phase, roll a D3. Either heal that many wounds the unit has suffered, or return a number of models to the unit that have wounds characteristics of the D3 result or less.

Deathless Minions: Units within 6" of a DEATH HERO ignore wounds or Mortal Wounds on a 6+.

The Master's Teachings: Whenever an enemy unit is destroyed within 6" of one of your graveyards, roll a D6. On a 4+, pick one of your own SUMMONABLE units that has been destroyed and set it up within 9" of that gravesite, more than 9" from enemy models.

The Black Disciples: +1 to cast for DEATH WIZARDS in this army.

Locus of Shyish: For unmodified rolls of 9+ to cast, resolve the effects of the spell twice.

Extra Command Ability: Endless Legions - Pick a gravesite within 9". Set up a SUMMONABLE unit that has previously been destroyed wholly within 9" of that gravesite.

PREGAME

1. Set up your gravesites on the board. Pick useful places that makes it awkward for enemy units to block summoning without moving off objectives. If you have them nearby objectives, you can regenerate your own units whilst they are in combat as long as at least 1 model from the unit is in 9" of the gravesite.

2. Set up your heroes within 3" of units with 3 or more models, to benefit from Look Out Sir. If your opponent has little or no shooting, aim for 6" instead - important for the D3 regeneration of SUMMONABLE units.

HERO PHASE

1. Free 3" movement for DEATH units within 6" of your Vampire Lord.

2. Check range of SUMMONABLE units to gravesites and heroes. Roll D3s for regeneration as dictated by warscrolls. This is hugely important for Death Units.

3. Use a Command Ability if it'd be useful, otherwise save the command point. In later turns, Endless Legions may be useful.

4. Cast Spells, and remember you're +1 to cast thanks to being Legion of Sacrament. Remember to resolve the effect of the spell twice (you can choose a separate target) on an unmodified roll of 9+!!

MOVEMENT PHASE

1. Keep heroes within 12" range of your biggest units to keep them regenerated next turn.

2. Use Black Knights and Dire Wolves as fast moving objective grabbers.

3. Be aggressive with the 40 block of skeletons. With Danse Macabre, the Vampire Lord's command ability, +1 attack from Serve in Death (being within 18" of a Death Hero), they will be on 5 attacks, attacking twice in the combat phase. Absolutely disgusting.

SHOOTING PHASE

Lol, what?

CHARGE PHASE

1. Make sure your Black Knights are the ones charging, not being charged - they gain +1 to wound and +1 to damage on the charge. If you can spare them an attack buff from somewhere, they can be fairly potent when slamming into Stormcast.

2. Dire Puppies gain +1 to wound on the charge, so bear that in mind if you're definitely going to get charged in the next turn.

COMBAT PHASE

1. Skeletons - Remember extra attacks, and remember to pile in and attack twice if you cast Danse Macabre.

2. Black Knights - Did they charge? Remember the extra wound and damage!

3. Wolves - Remember extra +1 to wound on the charge.

MORALE PHASE

1. Remember Bravery debuffs from Black Knight and Skeleton banners in 6".

ENEMY HERO PHASE

1. Attempt unbinds of spells - 30" range!

2. 6+ Mortal Wound shrug thanks to Deathless Minions.

ENEMY MOVEMENT

zzzzzzzz.

ENEMY SHOOTING

1. -1 to hit against any of your heroes within 3" of one of your units with more than 3 models.

2. Remember your Deathless Minions ignore wounds save on a 6+ within 6" of any Death Heroes.

ENEMY CHARGE

1. Only 1 dice for charge rolls for units that you have cast Fading Vigour on.

ENEMY COMBAT

1. Remember any attack, hit, wound or damage debuffs you have applied to enemy units when they are attacking you.

2. 6+ Ignore Wound/Mortal wound save!

3. Remember any buffs applied to your own unit that last until your next hero phase.

4. Remember enemy models are -1 to wound when within 6" of your Vampire Lord thanks to Azyrbane Standard.

Kinda ok list for starters...

don‘t want to be too negative, but overwhelming dread is „the hotness“ for your necromancer (-1 to hit&bravery)

also skellis in 30 get max attacks, but only one casualty wrecks efficiency, so the go to numbers are 40 or bust (10 as objective babysitters). 

But before we overthink this, I guess the best list involves a six-pack of IPA... 

8 hours ago, Honk said:

Kinda ok list for starters...

don‘t want to be too negative, but overwhelming dread is „the hotness“ for your necromancer (-1 to hit&bravery)

also skellis in 30 get max attacks, but only one casualty wrecks efficiency, so the go to numbers are 40 or bust (10 as objective babysitters). 

But before we overthink this, I guess the best list involves a six-pack of IPA... 

He's gonna be playing Stormcast though, so the bravery element of it is less effective. Figured nerfing attacks would probably be better. I run Overwhelming Dread in my own Death list.

As for skellies, for some reason I thought it was 20 for extra attacks.

@Horsleben run them as 40, and two groups of 10 instead.

3 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

As for skellies, for some reason I thought it was 20 for extra attacks.

Yes, till they hit 30 for ALL THE ATTACKS!!!

@Horsleben see, bunch of 1k lists done... just standard bread&butter, just to throw some dice and learn how to play. 

The details of spells, artifacts and unit composition for „competitive play“ is totally/ends up being subjective and might end in confusion XD

21 hours ago, Horsleben said:

Oh, and as a sidenote - we will only be playing with the core rules + warscroll cards. So we wont have access to LoN battletome, allegiance abilities and so on.

Jon

Just ask him which units he likes the most and wants to play. Then crudely aim for the same overall point value and start the game.

Thanks so much for all the inputs - you guys have been absolutely great! 

@AlphaKennyThing im going to print out your pointers and rules summary - it is so super helpful! thanks alot mate!

I sincerly hope that i will convert him to your ranks - if not, it has not been your fault - all your info has been amazing :)

Jon

18 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

Deathless Minions: Units within 6" of a DEATH HERO ignore wounds or Mortal Wounds on a 6+.

vanilla Deathless Minions changed to model !

"Each time you allocate a wound or
mortal wound to a friendly DEATH
model within 6" of your general or
a friendly DEATH HERO, roll a dice.
On a 6+ the wound is negated."

picking Ruler of the Night Command Trait changes back to unit

"Friendly DEATH units are affected by the Deathless Minions battle
trait if they are within 12" of this general rather than only 6"."

22 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

When he gets the battletome and reads the FAQs he can worry about all that gumph. Trying to keep it simple, first game n all!

38 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

Additionally, where have you got that from? Says units in the battletome, and no mention in the FAQ unless I'm blind as fook!

Archived