Pick up dead bodies to avoid fight

GeneralZero

Question

Hi,

I'm not a pro gamer but I had a situation yesterday.

In a fight, my charge (was fulminators) was ok. Then fight. First the rider killed several enemies: my oponent chose to pick up the dead bodies in the front line so the dracoh (mounted by the riders/fulminators) couldn't be in range of his remaining troops of this unit.

I think it was smart but kinda dumb in the fight. What do you think guys? is it allowed? can we stop a fight by choosing the dead bodies? He could have chosen the same way some bodies to avoid activating another unit of mine. 

I need some enlightment please...

5 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Hi,

I'm not a pro gamer but I had a situation yesterday.

In a fight, my charge (was fulminators) was ok. Then fight. First the rider killed several enemies: my oponent chose to pick up the dead bodies in the front line so the dracoh (mounted by the riders/fulminators) couldn't be in range of his remaining troops of this unit.

I think it was smart but kinda dumb in the fight. What do you think guys? is it allowed? can we stop a fight by choosing the dead bodies? He could have chosen the same way some bodies to avoid activating another unit of mine. 

I need some enlightment please...

You can pick who you like to remove as casualties, but only after each combat is finished.  It was played wrong in this case as the riders AND mounts are one unit so all their attacks should be completed before he removed anything. 

You can use this tactic to stop a second unit attacking you, its a tactical part of the game, but it was used incorrectly in this example.

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So, you confirm that you can avoid/stop a combat for another unit then!!! that is good to know!

Correct.  However there are always things to consider;

• If a unit is still within 3" they will get to pile-in so removing models facing them might not achieve much (though it could still reduce the number that could attack)
  • If the unit charged they always get to pile-in regardless, even if enemy unit is now more than 3" away (or even completely dead)
  • When removing models the unit must maintain coherency (or lose any outlying models)
  • You may disrupt your own ability to attack back by removing the wrong model
  • Always consider where buffing characters are when removing models, both your own and the enemies (if you can pull them out of place that can be helpful later in the game)
  • Always remember where the objectives are and the objective condition, nothing worse than mistakenly removing a model that could have scored you victory points.

Lots to think about, if you want to, key thing is always to have fun and being super tactical isnt always the best way!

5 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

So, you confirm that you can avoid/stop a combat for another unit then!!! that is good to know!

it depends.. ;)

if the unit did a charge move in the same turn they are still able to fight, even if they have no enemy left within 3", they can pile-in 3" and attack (if in weapon range)

if the unit didn't charge and has no enemy within 3" they can't be picked to fight

Archived